House moving - Attempt at photojournalism

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited May 23, 2009 in Holy Macro
I recently gave away ($1) an historic house that I owned next to my office. The catch was the owner had to move it ($100,000). Interestingly, the house was built by the first photographer in my county in the 1870's. The move was fascinating to watch and occurred between midnight and 0400.

The house had been prepped months ago and put up on steel beams. A low torque tractor was then attached.
30230120-M.jpg

The proud, new owner watching with excitement and anticipation.

30230118-M.jpg

The tricky part was temporarily relocating all of the lines (power, cable, and telephone) in front of the house. Here they are using the official measuring stick to determine which lines need to be moved.

30230125-M.jpg

Next, the power was shut down and four bucket trucks were used to raise the newly elongated cables over the house.
30230131-M.jpg

30230142-M.jpg

Then the house was on the move...

30230147-M.jpg

Past my office...
30230155-M.jpg

And then down the street to it's new home!!

30230157-M.jpg

It was a fascinating thing to watch. My only regret was having to go to work the next day! Hope you all enjoyed this.

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    Fascinating - did the house make it to its new location safely? It looks like it is very nice, the new owner got a good deal!

ann
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    Yes, the house made it safely. Deep down, I was concerned that the house might implode during the trip!! The movers did a great job.

Ann McRae wrote:
    Fascinating - did the house make it to its new location safely? It looks like it is very nice, the new owner got a good deal!

ann
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    Fantastic account Mitchell! Really enjoyed it!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    A beautiful house
    I'd stay up to photograph that event too! The house extended deeper than it appeared from the first photo.

How nice of you to "sell" it for $1!

I enjoyed the photos and the story, this is not something I see everyday, altho to the house movers it's probably old hat.

The bit about the electrical wires was interesting too, something I didn't even think of...
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    Anything else you want to sell for $1

Like your D70??

:D

Hey, I'll even pay shipping

Seriously, my inlaws helped pay the bill to move their "country church in the woods" to a new location about 20 years ago. I didn't see it happen but did see photos and the process looked similar to your shots. Big job!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited July 30, 2005
    Now THAT is funny!!eek7.gif

Thank you all for the kind comments. Glad you enjoyed seeing pics from this event.
    Anything else you want to sell for $1

Like your D70??

:D

Hey, I'll even pay shipping

Seriously, my inlaws helped pay the bill to move their "country church in the woods" to a new location about 20 years ago. I didn't see it happen but did see photos and the process looked similar to your shots. Big job!
    edited July 25, 2006
    Tragically, the house we moved last year burnt to the ground last night. We suspect an electrical fire as an electrician was working during the day to rewire the structure. Sad that after all the time, effort, and money, this great old house did not survive.:cry
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    nice photos but they paid for you for house not for land ? why they transfered whole house to new place intresting images have seen this happeing on TV
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited July 25, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Tragically, the house we moved last year burnt to the ground last night. We suspect an electrical fire as an electrician was working during the day to rewire the structure. Sad that after all the time, effort, and money, this great old house did not survive.:cry

Oh so sad i am sorry :cry
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:

such a move would have required insurance to the hilt....will it cover the new owner's financial loss?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    nice photos but they paid for you for house not for land ? why they transfered whole house to new place intresting images have seen this happeing on TV

Hi Awais.....this happens in many countries..... the removal of the house only.

The owner of the land will then build a new house on the vacant land.
    These houses will often be moved from one state to another and travel hundreds and hundreds of miles.

So the original owner keeps the Land and just gets rid of the house.
    Hope this helps you understand how this works. .. Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited July 26, 2006
    What a sad end to an otherwise interesting story and great set of pictures. :cry
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited July 26, 2006
    photodoug wrote:
    such a move would have required insurance to the hilt....will it cover the new owner's financial loss?

Yes, the move was insured to the hilt. Unfortunately the new owner says her insurance will not really cover the damage done by the fire. It seems like a total loss at this point.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 26, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:

That is sad and almost a year to the day too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    Thanks for the moving tour. I just love that pink house. Very well done. thumb.gif
    edited July 26, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Awais.....this happens in many countries..... the removal of the house only.

The owner of the land will then build a new house on the vacant land.
    These houses will often be moved from one state to another and travel hundreds and hundreds of miles.

So the original owner keeps the Land and just gets rid of the house.
    Hope this helps you understand how this works. .. Skippy (Australia)

Thaks skippy i didn't knew that here land gose with house house are built with concrete and moving house must cost as much as land headscratch.gif

My Gallery
    edited July 27, 2006
    Thaks skippy i didn't knew that here land gose with house house are built with concrete and moving house must cost as much as land headscratch.gif

Awais,
    Thank you for your interest in this story. This house was built in the 1870s. Homes at that time here in Florida were built on brick supports with no foundation. This home had been moved twice before I purchased two years ago. Modern home sales here now typically include the land and the dwelling in one purchase.
    edited July 28, 2006
    Drove by today to get some pics of the house after the fire. This shot doesn't do the damage justice.

84490909-L.jpg
    edited May 22, 2009
    Incredible, but the new owner decided to completely renovate and salvage this home. Drove by today to take this shot.

535980752_AUAqX-L.jpg
    edited May 23, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Incredible, but the new owner decided to completely renovate and salvage this home. Drove by today to take this shot.

535980752_AUAqX-L.jpg

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

My Gallery
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 23, 2009
    Incredible! Truly lemons to lemonade story. Nicely done.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?