Repairs after the storm

craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
edited January 30, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Some of you may have heard about the heavy rains we have had here in California recently. Today while heading out for lunch, I came across an apartment building (or condo complex; not sure which) that seems to be midway through some repairs. Whether the damage was from leaks or falling tree branches, I do not know. There are no people in this shot, but I still think of it as street photography because that's where it was, on the street.

I thought of doing this as B&W, but since the building is actually gray and white, the only thing that changes is the exposed particle board, which seems to benefit from standing out a bit. So in a way this is my version of the much-overused "everything B&W except one object in color" concept, except that in this case no PP was required to achieve the effect.

C&C appreciated. I like the shot myself, but maybe you had to be there.

775129432_spkzD-L.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
1/30 sec. at "f/8 and be there", ISO 100
(Probably should have been 1/60 sec and ISO 200, but it came out acceptably anyway; at 100% you can see a litle bit of camera shake)
http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    ne_nau.gif Well, this one didn't attract much notice. I suppose it would have been better had I caught a workman patching things up. Unfortunately there were none around when I passed by, nor when I passed by again on Friday. (Though someone had clearly been in there, as things were somewhat changed.)

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Sorry to put it this way, but this looks like an excellent shot for an insurance adjuster. Otherwise, it's just not so interesting. ne_nau.gif What did the rest of the house or area look like?
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Sorry to put it this way, but this looks like an excellent shot for an insurance adjuster. Otherwise, it's just not so interesting. ne_nau.gif What did the rest of the house or area look like?

You're allowed to put it that way. :D The rest of the building was fine; it's just a three-story apartment or condo complex. I sometimes park near it at lunch time because it's right near a number of restaurants. There are a few other shots in my galleries that were taken in the same area.

The picture appeals to me not so much as PJ, but rather as an arrangement of shapes and lines, with a few diagonals crossing the mostly rectilinear pattern, and the black diagonal near the lower right balancing the angled part of the drainpipe on the left. The subject could be more compelling, though.