Glamour tips for a rookie

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited February 11, 2010 in Technique
I am putting together what could probably best be described as a conceptual glamour shoot (I say conceptual, cause each model brought their own idea to the table, and I built them into full blown concepts).

Although have tried to read almost every lighting book I can get my hands on, this will be my first foray into using real lighting. I was wondering if anyone could give me insights, advice, pointers, etc.

I have a strong photography background, but it's in photojournalism, and I never had many opportunities to put flash use to work, outside of bouncing a speedlight off the wall. I know Joe McNally would say I didn't push myself, but sadly, the school paper I worked for wasn't up to McNally standards :)

I will be purchasing to strobes, with umbrellas and soft boxes, a reflector, and a Canon ring flash, in case you need to know what equipment I will be using.

And thank you for any help you can give.
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 29, 2010
    Practice, practice, practice. After you get your lighting bits, set it all up and take some test shots. Post them in the people forum for review. Repeat until you get the results you want.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited February 1, 2010
    Mnemosyne wrote:
    I am putting together what could probably best be described as a conceptual glamour shoot (I say conceptual, cause each model brought their own idea to the table, and I built them into full blown concepts).

Although have tried to read almost every lighting book I can get my hands on, this will be my first foray into using real lighting. I was wondering if anyone could give me insights, advice, pointers, etc.

I have a strong photography background, but it's in photojournalism, and I never had many opportunities to put flash use to work, outside of bouncing a speedlight off the wall. I know Joe McNally would say I didn't push myself, but sadly, the school paper I worked for wasn't up to McNally standards :)

I will be purchasing to strobes, with umbrellas and soft boxes, a reflector, and a Canon ring flash, in case you need to know what equipment I will be using.

And thank you for any help you can give.

The Canon ring flash (MR-14EX) is more for macro photography and clinical photography. It is not designed for glamor photography. Specifically they are too small and lack sufficient power for a glamor shoot.

You would be better to use a "butterfly" lighting approach which you can do with relatively inexpensive equipment. You can either use 2 flashes or a single flash high and a relatively strong reflector low. The size of the modifiers will yield different results.

A large DIY or good commercial "Beauty Dish" is another good choice for some glamor type shots.

The smaller ring lights can be used as fill, but not generally as the key light. The Alien Bees Ring Light with its 10 inch reflector is about as small as is practical for glamor work.

http://www.alienbees.com/abr800.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 1, 2010
    Good points ziggy.

I agree that the Canon ring flash is not that useful for anything but close up macro work - intra oral shots, coin shots, stamp shots, etc. It lacks the size and the punch needed for fashion shots. I have used it for bugs, but a simple off camera cord and a diffuser with an EOS flash is better in my book.

There are some good links on the web for creating/converting existing speedlights to beauty ring lights, that might work as a fill light against two rear quartering lights, which is a lighting set up frequently being seen today.

Alien Bee sells their moon unit which is ? ~ 24-30 inches in diameter strobe reflector, isn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited February 1, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    ... Alien Bee sells their moon unit which is ? ~ 24-30 inches in diameter strobe reflector, isn't it?

I had to look that up but yes, you can get a 30" ring effect with the "Moon Unit".
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I must agree with kdog: practice is the key. I'd been doing a lot of 'carry around photography', like nature shots, some weddings, many parties etc before I bought 2 strobes with an umbrella and a softbox. After one shoot I found out: this is something completely different. If these fashion shoots are important I would suggest to practice beforehand. You can read many many books, blogs and what more, but setting up your own equipment & your camera, directing your models, etc is something you should experience yourself.

I use 2 150Ws strobes with either an umbrella or a softbox, usually one on the left and one on the right side. However, sometimes I use only one, direct one from floor or from above, turn the flash up or down. All this gives different types and directions of shadows.

It's great fun, but don't underestimate the difficulties! You would think that when you have more control over the light than, say, in a dark pub with just a flash, life is easier...
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Svennie wrote:
    I must agree with kdog: practice is the key. I'd been doing a lot of 'carry around photography', like nature shots, some weddings, many parties etc before I bought 2 strobes with an umbrella and a softbox. After one shoot I found out: this is something completely different. If these fashion shoots are important I would suggest to practice beforehand. You can read many many books, blogs and what more, but setting up your own equipment & your camera, directing your models, etc is something you should experience yourself.

It's great fun, but don't underestimate the difficulties! You would think that when you have more control over the light than, say, in a dark pub with just a flash, life is easier...
    Very good advice. One great way to get a crash course in studio lighting and setups is to work as a photographer's assistant on a shoot with someone experienced. It may be a tough day, but you'll catch onto more in a day than reading for a week.

I'd also add that don't buy equipment until you've used enough to know what you want. Rent for now if you really need it. Good luck and post up the shots! thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Well, I got a good deal on 2 Calumet 750s with shoot through umbrellas and stands. Plus a bag and some extension cords :)

And the Alienbee ring flash wasn't too bad either.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Mnemosyne wrote:
    Well, I got a good deal on 2 Calumet 750s with shoot through umbrellas and stands. Plus a bag and some extension cords :)

And the Alienbee ring flash wasn't too bad either.
    Cool! Can't wait to see the resulting images. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!