Router - - WIRELESS

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited January 31, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I set up a wireless network at home and a friends home...no problems.

Now the friend has asked me to set one up in his church.....very large (20 or 30K sq ft) concrete floors (3 floors) and walls.

Will I need anything special in the way of a router??

TIA!!!:thumb:thumb:bow:bow
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    I set up a wireless network at home and a friends home...no problems.

Now the friend has asked me to set one up in his church.....very large (20 or 30K sq ft) concrete floors (3 floors) and walls.

Will I need anything special in the way of a router??

TIA!!!thumb.gifthumbbowdown.gifbow
    For the whole church or is wireless needed in only specific areas? Any wired equipment needed and of so - how much? How many wireless users at one time is expected?

I run a Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3 modem coupled to a Netgear SRXN3205 VPN/Firewall and a GS108 switch. Two iPhones, one IMac, one MacBook Air, and a Blu-Ray player are using the net wirelessly. Two printers, one MacPro, one Vista machine, and and 2 Dell laptops on their docking stations are wired.

I work at home (as does the wife every so often).

The modem (and Comcast) gives us the great speeds. The Netgear router gives us the high bandwidth throughput (60 Mbps LAN-to-WAN). The switch is for the expanded wired stuff.

The range on that router is pretty good. In the church you may need some wireless repeaters, though.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    For the whole church or is wireless needed in only specific areas? Any wired equipment needed and of so - how much? How many wireless users at one time is expected?

We don't have comcast here as far as I know....it is ATT or Cox cable.....

There will be probably no more than 3 -5 running at any one given time....no printers or anything of that sort...right now...........They are starting various crisis "centers" in the church and the LCSW's asked for it so they could run the various centers off laptops as well as the phones........

This is all in 1/2 of the church the other half is pretty much Sanctuary, classrooms and gym.....I will be the only one making internet contact from the Sanctuary sound booth when i run sound and have to get sound effects for a sermon......yep.....do special effects for some of the sermons.

the incoming internet line is on the 2nd floor so it will be connecting from the ground floor and 1 floor above (the 3rd floor).
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Do they already have an existing network with Internet connectivity? If so you might only need a Wireless Access Point and not a router. Are they looking to keep this wireless portion separate from the main network?

In terms of coverage it very much depends on the building, its construction, and other Wifi in the area. At work I can use a Wireless Access point from 150 feet away (Linksys WRT-54G) however exact same router in a hotel, like 25 feet. I would also recommend not using Channel 6 on the router as almost everything defaults to that, go to either 1 or 11.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact