Couple of natural light pics of my daughter.

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited January 30, 2010 in People
Took these because a cousin bugged me to enter her in Regis & Kelly beautiful baby contest. Alas I found out after I took them that the min age is 6m, Livi is 5m. It also said no professional pictures were allowed, so did the most unprofessional thing I could think of (sic) and took them without flash. This is all light from an open window.
776180135_wQcwo-L.jpg

To Daddy, FU. Love, the Baby.
776180063_ksMpH-L.jpg

776179354_LE2my-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    #1 rolleyes1.gif -- perhaps her commentary on the age limit?
    #3 very sweet
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Look at those gorgeous curls! Love it!

@Andrew: ha ha! #1 cracked me up too!
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Jason, that is one gorgeous child! Love those hazel(?) eyes! and that hair...:D

Of course, i have to ask now that YOU mention it...how would flash have helped here?

cheers,
    tom wise
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    # 3 !! Very very sweet photos, however it is a good thing she is too young becuase we just entered our grandson in that same contest and he'll be the winner.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    Jason, that is one gorgeous child! Love those hazel(?) eyes! and that hair...:D

Of course, i have to ask now that YOU mention it...how would flash have helped here?

cheers,

Well in this case...it couldn't flash wouldn't help at all. My decision to use an open window was to make the best picture I could without any "professional" equipment...Anyone could take this picture with almost any camera, thereby negating any advantage I have in being a "professional".
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Blurmore wrote:
    Well in this case...it couldn't flash wouldn't help at all. My decision to use an open window was to make the best picture I could without any "professional" equipment...Anyone could take this picture with almost any camera, thereby negating any advantage I have in being a "professional".

Nice try Jason.....not buying it...Only a pro would "see" and capture the imagery this way~:D

Good Luck on your little Lady and the Contest~
    tom wise
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    These are to DIE for!! :D
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Adorable girl & photos, #1 is definitely a keeper rolleyes1.gif
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Simply wonderful.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    With the thickest of italianno mob accents, and the attitude ta' boot, she looks to the proverbial powers that be and states "Ahhhhhhhhh, here's to ya %^&$#@+ diaper rash!" rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Great captures!
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Blurmore wrote:
    so did the most unprofessional thing I could think of (sic) and took them without flash.

first i want to say that your baby is beautiful and the pictures are stunning.

but i'm a little put off by this statement that is implying it is unprofessional to not use flash, and that it is "sic" that you did it that way? I don't understand, aren't there are tons of professionals that don't use flash? I think most agree that natural light is the most appealing, especially for babies. So what was unprofessional about these? I may be misreading here, but I can understand that you were trying to avoid "professional" shot photos, (which you didn't avoid...the flash doesn't make you a professional) but the implication seems like not using a flash is like, truly unprofessional and you were appalled at the thought of not using one. If you were going for unprofessional looking you should've triggered the pop up. Again, sorry if im taking this the wrong way. I think the "sic" part is what got to me.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    lilmomma wrote:
    first i want to say that your baby is beautiful and the pictures are stunning.

but i'm a little put off by this statement that is implying it is unprofessional to not use flash, and that it is "sic" that you did it that way? I don't understand, aren't there are tons of professionals that don't use flash? I think most agree that natural light is the most appealing, especially for babies. So what was unprofessional about these? I may be misreading here, but I can understand that you were trying to avoid "professional" shot photos, (which you didn't avoid...the flash doesn't make you a professional) but the implication seems like not using a flash is like, truly unprofessional and you were appalled at the thought of not using one. If you were going for unprofessional looking you should've triggered the pop up. Again, sorry if im taking this the wrong way. I think the "sic" part is what got to me.

I think this may be a misunderstanding in how I used sic....I've always used it to mean I was just kidding. I know that using natural light isn't unprofessional (hence the sic). I just didn't want to use some crazy pro lighting or equipment. So far as how babies are best lit, babies look good flat lit, so window light is good but any large diffuse light source near camera position is ok too. The challenge in what I did was to keep myself out of the light. She was posed at the foot of our bed, the window directly opposite, and only 4 feet away. I wanted to make sure that it was a shot that anyone could do, if they conceived of it. So maybe I failed at making my picture unprofessional looking, but succeeded at making a good looking picture with the most basic equipment.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Blurmore wrote:
    I think this may be a misunderstanding in how I used sic....I've always used it to mean I was just kidding. I know that using natural light isn't unprofessional (hence the sic). I just didn't want to use some crazy pro lighting or equipment. So far as how babies are best lit, babies look good flat lit, so window light is good but any large diffuse light source near camera position is ok too. The challenge in what I did was to keep myself out of the light. She was posed at the foot of our bed, the window directly opposite, and only 4 feet away. I wanted to make sure that it was a shot that anyone could do, if they conceived of it. So maybe I failed at making my picture unprofessional looking, but succeeded at making a good looking picture with the most basic equipment.

Ah, gotcha....yep misunderstanding of the term, which is what got to me. Thanks for clearing it up. Sorry for being a little defensive about it. :)
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    "(sic)" is generally added in a quote to indicate that some misspelling or error is part of the quote and not a bad job quoting done by the author. I didn't realize that in some circles it had come to indicate ";-)"
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site