Options

Looking for Travel Tips.

OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
edited January 30, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi All,
I have an opportunity to do some traveling to the other side of the big pond this summer. The 3 possible choices are: Burundi, East Central Africa; Karola, India; and Tokyo, Japan. I would like any advice/info on transporting my photo gear. At a minimum, I will take my Nikon D300, 17-55 f2.8G, 70-200 AFS-VR f2.8G, 85 f1.4D, 2 SB800 Speedlites, and a tripod. :dunno

What should I be prepared for as far as airlines and custom/security issues?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    For what it's worth, I've never had issues bringing camera gear in my carry-on. I usually pack it with as much climbing hardware as I can too, to lighten my checked bags. Occasionally security will balk about the climbing carabiners, but they've always let me through, and NEVER commented on camera gear.

If you check it, prepare it for the worst treatment possible, and then it should be okay. If you've packed it to withstand being thrown and dropped, the airline typically won't do much more than that to it. thumb.gif

I don't have as much gear as you though, so maybe someone who travels with a lot more can help you more specifically.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    gembobsgembobs Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Sounds like you have a tough decision to make! Wherever you go, I am sure you will have a great time!

When you have made your decision on where you are going, take a look at flight prices and airlines, then look at the airlines websites for luggage restrictions - both checked luggage and hand luggage - carriers tend to vary in their restrictions.

If you are flying on small planes, watch out for your hand luggage size - for instance, the flight from Jo'burg to Gabarone in Botswana is a small plane, and my Lowepro Orion Trekker only just fits lying down in the overhead locker! Air Botswana will however stow oversized hand luggage for you in the hold / somewhere else in the plane when you board - I assume the same will be true for other carriers.

Have fun making your decision!