New Olympus Release

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited February 3, 2010 in Cameras
I have been an Olympus user for years. Hence, they send me little notices when they are bringing out new cameras. I just got this info via email. Looks like it may be another micro 4/3 camera maybe? What do you guys think?

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_next.asp?cid=em_val2010_next&hq_e=el&hq_m=1894517&hq_l=22&hq_v=ad539d45d0

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    There is scuttlebutt of a few big announcements with Olympus in the next month.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    edited February 1, 2010
    The big one is a E-5 rumor with possible Fuji involvement. A few different sources are hinting at it, and it would be great for me combining 2 of my 3 systems but we will see......
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    Ok, Engadget broke embargo for a brief time today. There is a new Pen E-PL1 which is the smallest, lightest M43 offering yet and manages pretty much everything the E-P1/2 do plus a pop up flash. It is compatible with the EVF that comes with the E-P2. Also, perhaps in a hint at the demographic it's aimed at, it comes with a myriad of auto modes which, as Olympus pretty much puts it "take away the need to worry about setting aperture and shutter speed".

The bad news is that from the pictures, I couldn't discern a control wheel for setting aperture or shutter speed. I'll reserve judgement on that one (Panasonic do this perfectly well with a joystick control on their LX cameras so traditional isn't the only way to go).

Personally, I'm still liking what I see of the E-P2 though the frequent traveller in me always wants something smaller.....

Keep your eye on dpreview, probably sometime soon after 6AM GMT.

Oh, and looking into my crystal ball, I seeeeee..... A 50/50 chance of something big. Well actually, no crystal ball. A prophet from an other forum who often calls these things well has spoken......
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 3, 2010
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I'm in two minds about it. With either the 17 or 20mm pancakes, it could be the perfect carry anywhere camera. For some reason, in spite of being relatively new to photography, I got into the habit of manual exposure early (and I tend to expose carefully) at a time when almost everyone uses S or A. This is very much a camera for the auto generation.......

The biggest news though is the lack of news about a pro replacement for the E-3. Those who complain about it are, I suspect, in the minority but there are legitimate reasons for wanting Olympus's latest/greatest imaging technology in a form than could stop a bullet.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Internaut wrote:
    Ok, Engadget broke embargo for a brief time today. There is a new Pen E-PL1 which is the smallest, lightest M43 offering yet and manages pretty much everything the E-P1/2 do plus a pop up flash.

DPReview has a hands-on preview posted. It's not actually much smaller or lighter than the existing m4/3 cameras. The main differences are as you go on to note:
    ...it comes with a myriad of auto modes which, as Olympus pretty much puts it "take away the need to worry about setting aperture and shutter speed".

The bad news is that from the pictures, I couldn't discern a control wheel for setting aperture or shutter speed.

Right, it's not a photographer-oriented camera and so has a more P&S approach to its controls. For this reason, it doesn't interest me. It might be a good companion to the E-P2 if, say, your SO likes to take pictures but is more a casual shooter than a serious photography enthusiast. You could have the more serious E-P2 and s/he could have the E-PL1 and the two of you could share lenses and other accessories without you being limited by P&S-style controls or your partner being confused by DSLR-style controls.
    Personally, I'm still liking what I see of the E-P2 though the frequent traveller in me always wants something smaller.....

The E-P2 is looking pretty attractive as a smaller-than-DSLR, mirrorless alternative to tiny-sensor P&S cameras. It and the GF1 are neck and neck in my mind -- each has pluses and minuses relative to the other.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
    edited February 3, 2010
    Internaut wrote:
    I'm in two minds about it. With either the 17 or 20mm pancakes, it could be the perfect carry anywhere camera. For some reason, in spite of being relatively new to photography, I got into the habit of manual exposure early (and I tend to expose carefully) at a time when almost everyone uses S or A. This is very much a camera for the auto generation.......

The biggest news though is the lack of news about a pro replacement for the E-3. Those who complain about it are, I suspect, in the minority but there are legitimate reasons for wanting Olympus's latest/greatest imaging technology in a form than could stop a bullet.

Olympus doesn't release everything on the same day........

Yesterday was compacts, today was m4/3, and if the scuttlebutt is right soon will be 4/3.