As young as they get

Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited January 31, 2010 in People
About a week ago, I got to take several portrait shots of one of the local ladies who has been doing a lot of voluntary work for the elderly. She's a pleasure to talk to and as young as they get - at 90 years young! ;)

776764557_TKitJ-L.jpg
All the best from northern Norway,
Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    1: She's not looking at the camera (bummer, looks more like a candid than a portrait!)

2: Shame that she's looking out of the frame

3: Shame also that it was shot landscape rather than portrait,

4: …and by the way, what's the out-of-focus flower-thingy??? Why is it in the picture?

5: …ditto the teacup

…apart from that, it's just about perfect (love the crisp focus of the knitted jersey!!!)

Great exposure also! thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote:
    1: She's not looking at the camera (bummer, looks more like a candid than a portrait!)

2: Shame that she's looking out of the frame

3: Shame also that it was shot landscape rather than portrait,

4: …and by the way, what's the out-of-focus flower-thingy??? Why is it in the picture?

5: …ditto the teacup

…apart from that, it's just about perfect (love the crisp focus of the knitted jersey!!!)

Great exposure also! thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!

- Wil

I don't mind landscape, not looking at the camera and out of frame or the teacup! nice shot!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    I don't mind landscape, not looking at the camera and out of frame or the teacup! nice shot!

Ditto. I like the shot as is and none of this issues pointed out by Wil bother me. Actually, I find that I rarely agree with Wil's critiques but that is off topic.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    I love the composition, tones, and flattering light in your image.
    I hope when I'm 90 someone like you shoots me and makes me look half as good!
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • AmyMathewsAmyMathews Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    justME wrote:
    I love the composition, tones, and flattering light in your image.
    I hope when I'm 90 someone like you shoots me and makes me look half as good!

I agree! I think if you took out the flower and the tea cup, it would be incredibly boring. As it is, it creates interest and a story. I can imagine her sitting in a little cafe, drinking her tea, pondering the things of the past. :)
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    I really like the lighting, but the flower seems too bright relative to the rest of the image.
    Regarding the looking out of the frame, I don't see it as a plus here. If she were looking out and away from something, but this composition isn't doing for me. I realize that puts me in the minority opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Thank you everyone for all the great input. I didn't really expect so many differing views on this shot, but it's good to see that not all of you look at it in the same way! This probably should really be regarded as a candid rather than a portrait because it wasn't any formal setting - as a studio shot might have been. In fact, I was shooting with the camera as my colleague was interviewing her in a nursing home. This is also why you see the coffee cup and the flowers which were on the table in front of her (nothing posed or planned). I probably should have moved them - or included more of the table to add some depth to the image. Well, well... nobody does everything right!

And thank you, justME. ;)
    All the best from northern Norway,
    Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    I popped over to your site. You seem to get a lot right.... very nice images.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site