Options

Contracts and Who Acts as Witness

the-night-owlthe-night-owl Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 1, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Sorry for the combined topics here, but I figured it would be silly to ask all these questions in different threads.

I'm in the process of "officially" starting a full out photography business. It was never my intention, but I get requests a few times a month now, mostly from strangers who have been referred to me by someone I know, about doing sessions and weddings. I've done some paid work for a few people, but I figured I need to get my act together and be a little more "official."

Which leads me to my questions.

Does anyone have an example of a contract for a regular portrait session? I have a wedding one and can modify it for a session, but I was just curious to see how people set up theirs.

I'm also looking for an example of a release contract that would be used when I release a CD of photos to someone and allow them to make their own prints, etc.

And lastly, who acts as the witness when a model release is signed? I noticed they all the examples had a place for a witness to sign, so I'm guessing it's pretty much a requirement, but I'm unsure of who signs it.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    I don't have any good answers to your questions (!) but check out the first sticky at the top of the MYOB forum. There are a bunch of links that can be very helpful in answering your questions.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    For model releases, I almost always have a MUA and assistant standing around when they get signed. Honestly, though, if you handle them properly, your model will know exactly what they are signing and won't come back to say, "I didn't sign that." Really. Explain to them exactly what they are signing and why. Explain to them (before they sign) exactly what you are planning to do with the photos. You'd be surprised how cooperative people can be when they know what (and why) they're signing something.

And... if you do something with the photos that you didn't plan to do-- contact the model and tell them. Yes, you have the release signed and don't usually need to do that, but a little kindness and humanity goes a long way. I've shot hundreds of models and never had a problem with any of them saying, "I didn't sign that". Ever.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+