5D battery grip question

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited February 2, 2010 in Cameras
Good Evening Folks,
Does anyone use the AA battery tray with rechargeable 2400 mAh or higher batteries ? For about $40 you can get an 8 pack & charger, which should last a bit longer then 2-1100 mAh Canon BP-511 batteries. Just curious :wink
Have a good evening :D
Jim...

Comments

• BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening Folks,
    Does anyone use the AA battery tray with rechargeable 2400 mAh or higher batteries ? For about $40 you can get an 8 pack & charger, which should last a bit longer then 2-1100 mAh Canon BP-511 batteries. Just curious mwink.gif
    Jim...

I don't use mine. I always have a charger on the bike or otherwise. Do you need an extra tray? Be happy for postage only to send it to you... Have to travel light!!!

Be well... Ara & Spirit

768431004_9fdDV-M.jpg
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    BeemerChef wrote:
    I don't use mine. I always have a charger on the bike or otherwise. Do you need an extra tray? Be happy for postage only to send it to you... Have to travel light!!!

Be well... Ara & Spirit

768431004_9fdDV-M.jpg
    Good Evening Beemer,
    Thanks for the offer thumb.gif I don't need an extra tray, but was curious if anybody just uses AA's as opposed to the 2 Canon or equivalent batteries.
    Jim...
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Buy Good Batteries !!!
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening Folks,
    Does anyone use the AA battery tray with rechargeable 2400 mAh or higher batteries ? For about $40 you can get an 8 pack & charger, which should last a bit longer then 2-1100 mAh Canon BP-511 batteries. Just curious mwink.gif
    Jim...

Although I've never done a direct comparison...One thing that you should consider is a quality Battery !!! My trays have GP 2700 NIMH batteries that I purchased them from a specialty dealer (Battery Boy ) Canadian ! ) I am very happy with the results in which I am getting when needed...I really have my doubts you're going to get the same results from batteries bought at a change store like Walmart....

Just a thought !!! ne_nau.gif
    Brady
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
    edited January 30, 2010
    Freezframe wrote:
    Although I've never done a direct comparison...One thing that you should consider is a quality Battery !!! My trays have GP 2700 NIMH batteries that I purchased them from a specialty dealer (Battery Boy ) Canadian ! ) I am very happy with the results in which I am getting when needed...I really have my doubts you're going to get the same results from batteries bought at a change store like Walmart....

Just a thought !!! ne_nau.gif
    Brady
    Good Evening Brady,
    Thanks for your response thumb.gif With 2700 mAh batteries, I would imagine that you're getting over 700 shots per charge, which would be a bit more then 2 standard 511's. Does that sound about right ?
    Jim...
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    I think that should be rite !!!
    Jim I wish I could be a little more definitive in my answer,but I can't be for sure....Reason being I don't always shoot in stable condition...I use AI Servo which has a little more pull on the batteries life...I just really never kept track....I can tell you that they are better than an Alkaline rechargeable-that's a no brainer...I guess if I was to break it down.Probably 20% better tops !!

Sorry :Brady ne_nau.gif

I also have a 300-2.8 that may draw a little more juice !!
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
    edited January 30, 2010
    Freezframe wrote:
    Jim I wish I could be a little more definitive in my answer,but I can't be for sure....Reason being I don't always shoot in stable condition...I use AI Servo which has a little more pull on the batteries life...I just really never kept track....I can tell you that they are better than an Alkaline rechargeable-that's a no brainer...I guess if I was to break it down.Probably 20% better tops !!

Sorry :Brady ne_nau.gif

I also have a 300-2.8 that may draw a little more juice !!
    Good Evening Brady,
    Thank you thumb.gif I can get a 4 pack of Extra Power Pro 2700's on line for $15. I already have the EPP 2400's and they would last a long time when I used them in my Pro Master flash. Just thought it would be a bit cheaper and about the same amount of shots, if not slightly more, if I use rechargeable AA batteries.
    Jim...
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    Got the grip just few months back. Used both twin Lithum battery and the battery pack with the BP 2700 mAH.

I did not have chance to "finish" the batteries within a day. The maximum I did was about 500 shots in 24 hours before I got the re-charge again. Just found the grip helps to focus faster.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited February 1, 2010
    Got the grip just few months back. Used both twin Lithum battery and the battery pack with the BP 2700 mAH.

I did not have chance to "finish" the batteries within a day. The maximum I did was about 500 shots in 24 hours before I got the re-charge again. Just found the grip helps to focus faster.

Good Evening Photoskipper,
    500 shots isn't too bad I guess. I will be ordering from sterlingtek.com again. They have the Canon equivalent for about $23 for a 2 pack. I've used them in the past with very good results.
    Jim...
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening Brady,
    Thanks for your response thumb.gif With 2700 mAh batteries, I would imagine that you're getting over 700 shots per charge, which would be a bit more then 2 standard 511's. Does that sound about right ?
    Jim...
    The numbers not with-standing, my experience differs from this suggestion by quite a bit....

Shooting with 20D, 30D, or 50D and BG loaded with either Canon or generics BP-511 batteries, I've actually shot between 1,000 and 1,500 with no issues. This is shooting RAW, ISO 800, with either an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM or an EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM.

And, FWIW, I've actually done better than that with the new cells used on my 5DII.
    edited February 2, 2010
    The numbers not with-standing, my experience differs from this suggestion by quite a bit....

Shooting with 20D, 30D, or 50D and BG loaded with either Canon or generics BP-511 batteries, I've actually shot between 1,000 and 1,500 with no issues. This is shooting RAW, ISO 800, with either an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM or an EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM.

And, FWIW, I've actually done better than that with the new cells used on my 5DII.
    Morning Scott,
    Thanks for your info thumb.gif I thought the BP-511 battery (1100 mAh) was rated for around 350 shots, give or take. That's what I was basing my minimum 700 shots on. Of course higher mAh's will get you more shots per charge. The sterlingtek batteries I've used in the past were much higher rated then the Canon, and did give me considerable more shots. That's one reason I like using them. Another is the price compared to the Canon brand. Thanks again.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening Photoskipper,
    500 shots isn't too bad I guess. I will be ordering from sterlingtek.com again. They have the Canon equivalent for about $23 for a 2 pack. I've used them in the past with very good results.
    Jim...

Hope you may have luck with the 3rd party battery. I made a mistake some time ago with my 300D. The cheap battery dead in 6 month. But i also got the other one which last me for 4 years from 300D all the way to 5D.

In most of cases, we hardly do more than couple of hundred shots in one day. The grip with twin battery or rechargeable battery is main to get the focuing faster, more juice to get the file transfer faster.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited February 2, 2010
    Hope you may have luck with the 3rd party battery. I made a mistake some time ago with my 300D. The cheap battery dead in 6 month. But i also got the other one which last me for 4 years from 300D all the way to 5D.

In most of cases, we hardly do more than couple of hundred shots in one day. The grip with twin battery or rechargeable battery is main to get the focuing faster, more juice to get the file transfer faster.
    I have not noticed this correlation. I'm not saying there isn't one, I just haven't noticed a difference in either AF or data write speed with/without the BG installed. Interesting.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 2, 2010
    The original Canon BP-511 was rated at 1100 mAh. While the battery was fine for cameras with small memory cards, when people started using the older cards with more memory (and more power consumption) it was noticed that some of the batteries could not keep up and the current flow would be come restricted, resulting in memory card errors and, in extreme cases and especially with old batteries, improper AF as well.

The Canon BP-511a was improved with both a higher capacity and less internal resistance. This allowed the newer battery to run even higher card capacities and more "appliances" without the problems of the earlier BP-511.

Some companies continued to sell the earlier battery, but when the Canon IS lenses were developed, still more problems with the power capabilities of the BP-511 were uncovered and that pretty well spelled the end of the original battery.

This whole situation also showed the opportunity for third-party batteries to join in the fun and it was about this same time that SterlingTek started selling their own improved batteries with a better price point too.

The moral to the story is that while I think all of the original inventories of the BP-511 have long since gone away, if you should find any I recommend staying away from them. There are many better battery solutions available today in that form factor.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 2, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The original Canon BP-511 was rated at 1100 mAh. While the battery was fine for cameras with small memory cards, when people started using the older cards with more memory (and more power consumption) it was noticed that some of the batteries could not keep up and the current flow would be come restricted, resulting in memory card errors and, in extreme cases and especially with old batteries, improper AF as well.

The Canon BP-511a was improved with both a higher capacity and less internal resistance. This allowed the newer battery to run even higher card capacities and more "appliances" without the problems of the earlier BP-511.

Some companies continued to sell the earlier battery, but when the Canon IS lenses were developed, still more problems with the power capabilities of the BP-511 were uncovered and that pretty well spelled the end of the original battery.

This whole situation also showed the opportunity for third-party batteries to join in the fun and it was about this same time that SterlingTek started selling their own improved batteries with a better price point too.

The moral to the story is that while I think all of the original inventories of the BP-511 have long since gone away, if you should find any I recommend staying away from them. There are many better battery solutions available today in that form factor.

Very well put thumb.gif
    Have good day :D
    Jim...
    edited February 2, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:

Thanks Ziggy - Yet another bit of history I didn't know! I guess my experience has been limited to the BP-511a batteries (or the 3rd party "look-alikes") and I didn't know better! I always wondered what the "a" portion meant.

That's one of the reasons I hang out on DGrin so much - there are so many people here who fall into my category - "I want to be just them them when I grow up!" bowdown.gif