Canon Flash on Nikon P&S

hnjngohnjngo Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited February 3, 2010 in Cameras
I've tried using my canon 580 EX II on my dad\s Nikon P5100 as an expiriement. It works when the camera is on Program and when the flash is on manual, but i'm not sure if the voltages are safe for the flash or the camera to sustain using it this way. :dunno

Thanks
Current Gear: Canon 40d, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 580EX II
Flickr
Smugmug

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 31, 2010
    I believe that it is safe to use that combination. In manual mode the flash only has 2 contacts active, the center pin and the ground connection to the shoe itself. The voltage is within Nikon specs for that combination.

A problem might occur if the flash is accidentally or inadvertently set to another mode of operation. Nikon and Canon use the other pins for completely incompatible purposes. I am not sure of the safety but I would bet there is some risk. For that reason alone I would not recommend the combination.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    i haven't tried a canon flash on any of my nikon bodies but i do shoot with my nikon sb-900 on my canon 5D II body and it works just fine. i do have to shoot in full manual to make sure i expose correctly but that's okay.

14657_323568260454_500630454_9719626_2544731_n.jpg
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto