Options

#43 suggestions and help appreciated

Shoots2LittleShoots2Little Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited February 5, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Going to try another challenge I think so looking for some C&C.

These are from the last couple of days. I have been trying to come up with some good ideas and nothing has really struck a cord yet but I have been shooting at least. These are all pretty much straight out of the camera with only cropping done. The truck ones have some contrast and shadow protection, but minimal. Thick skinned and want to learn more so fire away, please.

Chris

777209267_fwoY5-L.jpg

777208004_cshGb-L.jpg

777208380_GuUcu-L.jpg

777208733_7WLeX-M.jpg

777209580_Ri2eS-L.jpg

777207461_mVzgH-L.jpg
D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Loving #2
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    I think 5 and 6 are going to be different enough to stand out in a sea of weathered house doors, and a clever interpretation of the theme. 6 needs some more contrast, I think.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    My eye barely notices the doors and windows in 2 & 3 b/c the scenery is so compelling.
    I really like #4, but it would need a crop to make it more of the focal point.
    I like #5 the best. I agree with Mark on this one.
    #6 doesn't work for me.

You have a really good start here.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    # 2 is good, but it needs straightening.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    I agree with Mark and Chris. #5
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    Thanks for all the comments, exactly what I was looking for. Any other technical suggestions/comments? Here are some other shots of the truck, which was the first thing I shot this week. It was fairly early morning and I will try to make it there later in the day later this week when we have some better shooting conditions and the light 'should' be on the near side, more or less. I was/am struggling to come up with an interesting way to shoot the missing door. Any suggestions based on seeing a bigger picture? (I know these are washed out but am showing just for the bigger picture, not for critique)

777544009_iKquC-L.jpg

777544154_d5eB4-L.jpg
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Play with your crop until you think it tells the story that you want. Perhaps if you crop with a little more 'story' on the left, you'll see that the dorr is missing and it might enhance the sense of abandonment because it's so snow-covered.

I 'get it' as it is, but the important thing is for you to feel satisfied that it communicates your message.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    Here is the updated straightening on wooden barn.

777745181_x3me3-L.jpg

Here is updated contrast and slightly different crop on one of the truck shots.
    777744390_PhXKr-L.jpg

Slightly different crop on the truck
    777759693_tdaxt-L.jpg
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    I really like your weathered door...are you able to reshoot? I just think the door needs to occupy more of the image, right now, the beautiful scenery fights for the attention too much (IMO). The truck is cool too, but to me, the focus seems more on the beat up sea, than the door...but maybe others see it different. Just my 2 cents!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Sorry, I meant your weathered window, not doorrolleyes1.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. I will have chances to do re-shoots this week. I will have to see what I get a chance to do.
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. I will have chances to do re-shoots this week. I will have to see what I get a chance to do.

I'm really liking #2 also. But what's the chances of having a model looking out of the window at that nice scenery?
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    Chances are zippo. Private barn that hasn't had any tracks in the snow around it. good idea though.
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I love the colors & contrast in the barn window shot, with the warm weathered wood against that amazing winter landscape. Also I wish there were some way to emphasize the window more.

The forward looking truck shot has a lot of stuff going on, what with the levers and wires and steering wheel and gas tank and ripped seat.... I like the one looking toward the back window much better... but no suggestions.
    edited February 4, 2010
    I like #5 the best, and it seems to me that there are some warm tones in there that are dying to come out a little more. It might be interesting to try to warm up and saturate the colors in the image a touch, or to try a BW version and add a sepia tone to it.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    Ok, ended up sick this week so no reshoots.

Decided to play around in PP and see what I could come up with.

'In the distance'

781124162_vEGNi-L.jpg

and a b & w conversion of the truck door.

781123774_urT79-L.jpg
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I like #2 and #5. Suggestion: on both shots, I'd like to see more of the window for the purpose of this current theme. So you could change your angle in both shots to accomplish that. The snowy truck window could be very interesting. I like the light on the interior of the truck, so you may want to try to maintain that, while showing more window. Maybe you could even shoot through the window (looking in or looking out).
    Good luck!
    Mark