Options

Sad news from the air show circuit

52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited August 1, 2005 in Holy Macro
Dick James died near Oshkosh at the big EAA fly in while piloting his P-51 Mustang Donna-Mite. He was flying in formation with 4 other Mustangs when he fell out of formation and crashed in a field. There's speculation that he might have had a heart attack or stroke judging from the way he went down. Very sad.
My son and I saw him fly quite a few times. We never met him, but his Mustang was beautiful. This is with my Olympus C3020 a few years back, never had a chance with the 20D.
30329231-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    That is very sad. I never got a chance to see him, but I can imagine that if he could've chosen a way to go, that would be it. Doing what he loved right to the last.
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    Very upsetting. I wish his family well in these hard times. I am a big fan of aviation and love flight simming on my computer. One day perhaps I will learn to fly.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 31, 2005
    That is sad news :cry

To his family and friends, my heartfelt condolances.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    I'd read about it briefly. Thanks for the photo and the reminder. Beautiful airplane.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    That is very sad. I built a lot of plastic model airplanes as a kid, and the Mustang was my favorite WWII fighter. It pains me to imagine any of the remaining Mustangs crashing. Saw an old B-17 flying over the city on July 4th weekend, all my friends were wondering why I stared up at it for so long (we're all in our 30's, they don't know anything about WWII air hardware).
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    I hate to say it, but one of the things that saddens me about his death is that an irreplaceable plane was also lost.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au