North Berwick, Scotland

nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited February 4, 2010 in Landscapes
I'm fairly new to photography. I've started to take a great interest in landscapes. These are the first landscape images I've taken that I consider half decent. Comments and criticism highly appreciated.

Spent a week in the summer at North Berwick in Scotland. Here are the results:

IMG_10147a.jpg?t=1265048945

IMG_10146a.jpg?t=1265048945

IMG_10153a.jpg?t=1265048942

IMG_10149a.jpg?t=1265048943

IMG_10154a.jpg?t=1265048941

More at www.nickeverettphotography.com

Comments

• KKappleKKapple Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    Really like the second image. Thats a great shot!
    others are nice as well, it's just the second one really stands out!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    Nice work, Nick. Welcome to the fascinating world of photography and welcome to Dgrin. I particularly like the last shot. The old tires indicate quite a tidal change.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    The boat is the one I think of as a "fun" shot. Just like it. The second shot is the best of the group IMO. Nice lead in with the shape of the seawall or whatever it is. Very nicely done. The others aren't bad but on my not so high quality laptop they appear a little soft or out of focus. Nice job though and if this is just your "beginning" you're well on your way to some nice stuff.
  • nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Thanks for the comments all.
    Ridgetop wrote:
    The boat is the one I think of as a "fun" shot. Just like it. The second shot is the best of the group IMO. Nice lead in with the shape of the seawall or whatever it is. Very nicely done. The others aren't bad but on my not so high quality laptop they appear a little soft or out of focus. Nice job though and if this is just your "beginning" you're well on your way to some nice stuff.

I had trouble finding a hyper focal distance when shooting these images, which I think is most apparent in images #3 & #4. The Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (400D Kit Lens) that I used lacks distance markings on the barrel. Plus it was close to pitch black (to the eye) when i shot these images, so any help from the camera auto focus was out of the question. So selecting a focal distance on this images was complete guess work (a quarter turn from infinity, or similar). Any tips?