Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    Laughing.gif@Girl on right's face!
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    Nice. Better if you'd aimed a little lower, deeper or shallower DOF, and more shadow detail.
    If not now, when?
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Nice. Better if you'd aimed a little lower, deeper or shallower DOF, and more shadow detail.

I make that mistake frequently when trying to capture crowds from a higher vantage point. I have to consciously remind myself to aim lower. The top of the girl's head should be approaching the edge of the frame. I'll sometimes crop to an "HD" aspect ratio to correct for this.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    I think I understand the suggestion...the shot should have included more of the lower bodies of the people up front with the girl on the man's shoulders being at the top of the image?

Do I have this right?

I'll try this next time I do a crowd shot. I might be able to get a similar scene.

It means the girl would be in less detail unless I frame portrait, but I'll try it.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:

It means the girl would be in less detail unless I frame portrait, but I'll try it.

No, it just means you'd get less building, sky, and air conditioners and more of the peoples' waists and below. Just aim look though the viewfinder when you shoot.

What happens to me (and I bet a lot of people) is that I worry about getting focus right (which is appropriate) and then forget to recompose. In this case you probably put a focus point on the girl and that resulted in aiming too high.
    If not now, when?