Options

Winter in Yosemite

2»

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Beautiful ! clap.gifclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Thanks everyone, looks like more snow in the forecast in Yosemite, if I was in SF, I know where I'd be this weekend!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks everyone, looks like more snow in the forecast in Yosemite, if I was in SF, I know where I'd be this weekend!
    I want to take this hint, I really do! lol3.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited February 4, 2010
    schmoo wrote:

Do it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    schmoo wrote:

Here's the weather forecast:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=hnx&textField1=37.7400&textField2=-119.6000&zone=1&FcstType=graphical

Looks like most of the snow on Saturday morning so you'd want to get there on Friday evening latest in case the roads are closed :D
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Yosemite wrote:
    Schmoo.... Schmoo.... SCHMOO!!!!!

I think I hear Yosemite calling you! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote:
    I think I hear Yosemite calling you! :D

rolleyes1.gif I think it's pretty much a done deal now. With all of Ron's great photos and the helpful forecast, I think we'll try. Thank you for the advice!!!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif I think it's pretty much a done deal now. With all of Ron's great photos and the helpful forecast, I think we'll try. Thank you for the advice!!!

Sweet! Looking forward to the results. If you have any questions on locations or logistics, send me an e-mail. You'll probably want to take 140 in (not 120) as it's the lower elevation route and less likely to close due to snow or ice. Bring chains on your car (they'll be required to carry even if you don't need them). Dress warmly. Toe warmers are great. Have fun!
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Schmoo,

Go Go Go! But if you take 120 in/out of the Park, be careful…there's a slippery section about 3 miles in from the entrance. I saw a SUV hanging part way off the road there on my way out last Saturday. Saw another one on its side about 3 miles outside the park the next morning.

When the road signs say to slow down for a turn, this time of year it's really important to listen to those signs.

Looking forward to seeing your results.
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    great stuff, as usual, ron! love the star trails, the classic shot from tunnel view, and el cap from the merced river. you could spend a month in yosemite and still not be able to capture all of it's beauty. were you able to stay for the full moon the following week?

also, i am sooo envious! you caught yosemite with fresh snow and apparently with much fewer people than average even for winter. i was there the following weekend (28th-1st), and the interim warmer weather had turned the snow into a crunchy consistency, and a valley without the fog and snow-covered trees. and warmer weather seemed to bring out a host of visitors to disrupt night shots. anyways, i wish i knew you were in the area...
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    I can't stop posting comments on this series...unfrekinbelievable! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    dls wrote:
    great stuff, as usual, ron! love the star trails, the classic shot from tunnel view, and el cap from the merced river. you could spend a month in yosemite and still not be able to capture all of it's beauty. were you able to stay for the full moon the following week?

also, i am sooo envious! you caught yosemite with fresh snow and apparently with much fewer people than average even for winter. i was there the following weekend (28th-1st), and the interim warmer weather had turned the snow into a crunchy consistency, and a valley without the fog and snow-covered trees. and warmer weather seemed to bring out a host of visitors to disrupt night shots. anyways, i wish i knew you were in the area...

Looks like we over-lapped! I left on Jan 29th, so I didn't get the full moon, but I got a full-enough moon.

Here's a sample:

777886702_5mcnQ-L.jpg

That's the only shot with a moon in it, but all of my night shots (like Upper Yosemite Falls star trails) used the moon as the primary light source.

You can see the full gallery here:

http://photos.coscorrosa.com/Landscapes/Yosemite

Also, if you're on Facebook, go ahead and add me (see signature below) that way it will be easier to synchronize our photo outings. I still want to hit Baker while there's snow sometime in the next few months.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    thapamd wrote:
    I can't stop posting comments on this series...unfrekinbelievable! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks Mahesh! Yosemite is so incredible, I want to go again in the Spring when Glacier Point is open, all the trails are open, and the waterfalls are running at peak strength. It would also be cool to get there for a moonbow shot :D
  • Options
    dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Looks like we over-lapped! I left on Jan 29th, so I didn't get the full moon, but I got a full-enough moon.

That's the only shot with a moon in it, but all of my night shots (like Upper Yosemite Falls star trails) used the moon as the primary light source.

You can see the full gallery here:

http://photos.coscorrosa.com/Landscapes/Yosemite

sorry to have missed ya in yosemite. would have been wild to have bumped into you again. nice shot of the moon and half dome... i missed the moon on the 28th, which was arguable one of the best days to expose for half dome and the moon without blowning out the moon. very impressive gallery. bowdown.gif

would love to go back up to baker and possibly even rainier this month. have yet to do my annual moonlight snowshoe.
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Boy, I sure missed these Ron. Most excellent series!! #2 is just outrageous!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95