Working on my Street Photography...

DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited February 3, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Thought I'd share some recent ones from NYC... I'm always striving to get better at street and environmental portrait types stuff...

Thanks for looking!

01_23_streetsmart.jpg

01_16_magicforhaiti.jpg

youneededme.jpg

2for1.jpg

inthesquare.jpg
Amy :D
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    The first two B&W's don't do much for me. Two easy to get. The rest are really nice, especially the second and last.
    If not now, when?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    #2 took me a moment. At first, I thought he was proposing to her, then wondered about the card, then realized that is was David Blaine (or someone who looks a lot like him).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    #2 took me a moment. At first, I thought he was proposing to her, then wondered about the card, then realized that is was David Blaine (or someone who looks a lot like him).

Shows what I know. I liked it with my right brain. I don't know who David Blaine is.
    If not now, when?
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    Thanks guys...
    Yes, it's David Blaine. He did 72 hours of magic in NYC to raise money for the red cross (for Haiti) and we were lucky enough to get near him. That's my daughter in the shot at the "punchline" of the trick.

Thanks for the feedback... Rutt, the last one is my favorite of the series. I also like the baby, but that's from a different day.
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    These are great, i really like the 2nd and 5th.

Ok now tell me are those tricks real which David Blaine performs in streets or they are some camera tricks ? . He is quite popular here. mwink.gif

thanks
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    DRabbit wrote:
    Thought I'd share some recent ones from NYC... I'm always striving to get better at street and environmental portrait types stuff...

Thanks for looking!
    You've already heard it, but 1,2, and 5 are wonderful - particularly number 1. I'd rather see one and two in either realistic color, or black and white, but...and as to #5, I'd suggest burning down the background somewhat and dodging the faces, to make them more prominent. But all three images are terrific.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited February 2, 2010
    These are great, i really like the 2nd and 5th.
    Ok now tell me are those tricks real which David Blaine performs in streets or they are some camera tricks ? . He is quite popular here. mwink.gif
    thanks

Thanks Awais...
    He was doing mostly card tricks on the street in NYC during this event and it's amazing to watch him in person. He is so good at the slight-of-hand stuff you start to believe he must really have some kind of supernatural powers. No set-ups or camera tricks that I saw... my daughter's expression in the shot is a genuine reaction to a very cool magic trick.

bdcolen wrote:
    You've already heard it, but 1,2, and 5 are wonderful - particularly number 1. I'd rather see one and two in either realistic color, or black and white, but...and as to #5, I'd suggest burning down the background somewhat and dodging the faces, to make them more prominent. But all three images are terrific.clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks... Believe it or not, I didn't mess with the color all that much... however, my PP is either something you like or don't... it's just kinda my style these days :)
    Thinking about your comment on #5... The background is part of what makes the shot for me, since it portrays the enormity and brightness of Times Square. Another photography suggested I crop it down further to focus more on the guys sitting there, but again, for me, part of what makes it is the whole environment. I did dodge up the faces a bit already, but didn't want to lose too much contrast either.

Thanks for the great feedback though! I do appreciate it!

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    Loved them thumb.gif

#3 is my favorite :D
    edited February 3, 2010
    Thanks Mary :D