A little advice please...for a newbie!

TatianaTatiana Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 3, 2010 in Cameras
Hello!
So, I am finally going to pursue my passion of photography! I am enrolling in some classes for some insight. Well, I am in need of advice...(Please:D :bow)

I am looking at the Canon EOS 50D. Is this the right choice? I am really wanting the user-friendly, yet professional quality. Not to mention, something I will not grow out of too soon!

If I only buy one (general purpose) lens initially...what is the best choice? At least until I gain more experience and knowledge.

Lastly, I read that the book "Exposure" was very informative...any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any advice...and for taking time to read this! I hope to eventually post some images worthy enough for all those helpful critiques!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,064 moderator
    edited February 2, 2010
    Hi Tatiana. The Canon 50D is indeed a fine camera, but there are lots of other fine cameras too.

What is it about the 50D that interests you?

How do you wish to use the camera?

About what kind of budget are you thinking?

When do you start your classes?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TatianaTatiana Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hi Tatiana. The Canon 50D is indeed a fine camera, but there are lots of other fine cameras too.

What is it about the 50D that interests you?
    ~~Well, really it is the one that stood out to me based on design and reviews. Also, it is the most reasonable price for above 12mpxl. All the reviews seemed to rave about professional quality but easy enough for a beginner.

How do you wish to use the camera?
    ~~I would mostly use it for hobby purposes...but I would like that hobby to help bring a small (or large:D) amount of money in too! My hopes are to have a little side freelance business here within the military community. Honestly, I just want to be able to take great portrait photos for friends, family and word of mouth!

About what kind of budget are you thinking?
    ~My budge is about $1300, but that was including a lens

When do you start your classes?
    ~Feb 17th if all goes as planned!

And Thank You Ziggy...for taking the time to guide me!
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    I would also recommend going to a local photography store, not an electronics retailer, and hold and check the camera feel out. It is not just the heft and weight, it is also how the buttons hit your hands on the back, the ease of navigating the menus... etc.

Good luck, enjoy and welcome to the fun.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    You are about to embark on a very expensive journey!

But seriously though, if you get a 50D/40D that is a very good camera. I'd suggest getting that and a 50mm prime in either f1.8 or f1.4 depending on budget. That, IMO, is the best starter -- and baseline -- lens to own. It's the only lens I own but I rent a lot for special events.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Welcome Tatiana wave.gif - it's nice to meet you!

The 50D is a very good camera for the purposes you outline. A used 5D might be a better choice, but I don't know if you can acquire one without blowing your budget.

You should be able to get a used 50D in 9.5/10 (or better condition) for $800 - $900 on one of the photography forum "For Sale" areas. They show up in the DGrin Flea Market with some regularity (I've both bought and sold here with nothing but excellent results).

15524779-Ti.gif with the suggestion for a nice prime as your first lens ... something like the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 (about $100 new) would not be a bad idea.

Of course, you might be able to pick up a good Tamron or Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 zoom and still be able to keep within your budget - they do show up on the For Sale areas once in a while.

I suspect you will soon be wanting to get a dedicated flash of some sort. Less expensive but fuller servicable alternatives include the Canon 420EX and the Sigma 530 DG Super.

Like rookieshooter said, you've started down the path of a very expensive journey! But, boy is it soooo much fun! Once you've done your first portrait session, you'll be soooo wanting to move onto/into getting some off-camera lighting .... studio strobes or remotely triggered flashes - that's when the creative results really start to flow (it's all about the quality of light deal.gif).
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I'd like to offer some advice from the perspective of a photo hobbyist who has been right where you are.

Don't buy cheap glass.

That's it. That's my big piece of advice. Having spent so much money on a camera you're going to be tempted to spend as little as possible on the lens. Don't give in to the temptation. If the only lens you can afford at the start is a 50mm prime, then get only a 50mm prime. Do not get a cheap zoom or super zoom, which you will be tempted to do. Even if you have the zoom and the prime you'll use the zoom more because it will be easier for you as you learn. But, you won't learn, and the pictures will be crummy. Buy a 50mm prime and then save up for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Then save up again and get a decent length zoom. (Or you can do that in the other order if you think you'll shoot zoom more than wide.)

I wasted so much money trying to find cheap lenses that would work well. Cheap lenses have no resale value (no one else wants them either) and they're worthless for taking pictures. The 50mm prime (f/1.7) and the Tamron 17-50 are pretty much the exceptions to the rule and are the cheapest lenses you can get that take pictures well.

If you really want to focus on portrait photography a flash is a must and, really, you'll want a longer lens too. The 50mm will be good in some cases but you'll also want the chance to get a bit further away from your subject. On a crop sensor camera I think a 90mm lens is a great portrait length. It would be a good use of your money to spend less on a camera if it allows you to afford a good flash and the proper lens for the job. You can always upgrade the body lady to improve features. Bad glass is bad even on the best of cameras.

So - what do you buy? Let's work backwards to the body. (Also - don't be afraid of buying used camera gear.)

Sigma EF 530 DG Super - ~$175 used ($220 new)
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 ~$75 used ($100 new)
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di ~$350 used ($460 new)
    Batteries, memory cards, camera case ~$100

That means you spent $700 if you bought used. That leaves you with $600 to spend on a body. If you want to hold off on the 90mm and get a better body you can, but then you aren't really equipped for portrait work.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Pupator wrote:
    I'd like to offer some advice from the perspective of a photo hobbyist who has been right where you are.

Don't buy cheap glass.

So - what do you buy? Let's work backwards to the body. (Also - don't be afraid of buying used camera gear.)

Sigma EF 530 DG Super - ~$175 used ($220 new)
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 ~$75 used ($100 new)
    Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di ~$350 used ($460 new)
    Batteries, memory cards, camera case ~$100

That means you spent $700 if you bought used. That leaves you with $600 to spend on a body. If you want to hold off on the 90mm and get a better body you can, but then you aren't really equipped for portrait work.
    Yes! Yes!

I forgot one lens that I love (how could I do that?) - The Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD is a superlative lens. It's been around a while and has a large and faithful following - for good reason. As you can see from the link, they are about $460 new. I don't think I've ever seen one sold used, but I could be mistaken there. I had mine since at least Dec 2004 (bought it with a copy of the original dRebel) and used it a couple of weekends ago on my 5DII to shoot a wedding and reception. Mine is sharp wide open to at least f/16. It'll probably be one of (if not the) last lens I ever sell.

So ... I might substitute the 28-75 in place of the 90mm Pupator recommended.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010

So ... I might substitute the 28-75 in place of the 90mm Pupator recommended.

Yes - it's an excellent choice. If the next lens you purchase (after the list above) isn't going to be the Tamron 17-50, then get the 28-75 now.

I really like a zoom that goes to 17 so that was my choice. 28 (42mm equiv) is a bit long on the wide end but in this scenario may well be the right choice!
  • TatianaTatiana Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2010
    Wow! Thank you all for all of the great advice! I am really looking forward to embarking on this "expensive journey"! I have to admit, some of the points given were completely over my head...but I have copied the points, printed them, and will be reading up about all of them!

I am glad to know that it is OK to buy used...I was a little intimidated to do so. It will definitely be an option I will explore.

THANK YOU for pointing out the flash info! I was not even aware that I will need to get that in addition! I just assumed that it was already on the camera and I would have to later invest in better lens and light options! Close call!

What about books? Any suggestion for good self help books? I am only doing a couple courses in photography...I am also working on my RN! So I will def be doing a lot of self-help!

AGAIN...THANK YOU ALL!
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Tatiana wrote:
    What about books? Any suggestion for good self help books? I am only doing a couple courses in photography...I am also working on my RN! So I will def be doing a lot of self-help!

AGAIN...THANK YOU ALL!

check out the 'Books' link above for a bunch of reviews and details. Generally, those written by Bryan Peterson are EXCELLENT because they are technically enough but written in a very approachable style. You'll probably find that the library has several of his. Some you might only have to read once, some you might end up wanting to buy so you and read and reread again for inspiration.

good luck!
    //Leah
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,064 moderator
    edited February 3, 2010
    Tatiana wrote:
    ... THANK YOU for pointing out the flash info! I was not even aware that I will need to get that in addition! I just assumed that it was already on the camera and I would have to later invest in better lens and light options! Close call!

Just so you are clear, the Canon 50D "does" have a built-in flash. Unfortunately that flash is sorely underpowered and too close to the lens to be much use. If you want your images to be mistaken for those from a cheap point-n-shoot camera, use the built-in flash.

The external flashes that Scott describes above are capable of delivering much higher quality images, if they are used properly. Proper lighting is really what distinguishes most professional photographers from most amateurs.

In addition to the external flash you should also have, and use, flash modifiers.

You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

A site showing various modifiers in use:

http://www.the-meissners.org/2006-small-albums/2006-flashmod/index.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Hi Tabitha,

I found a great (written in simple terms) book called *How to Take photos with the Canon-SLR System* written by Rob Sheppard that is very very informative. It tells you what all the dials and buttons do on a Canon, one step at a time starting with turning it on.

Just thought I would pass this on. Good Luck!