Fujifilm FinePix HS10

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
edited February 5, 2010 in Cameras
Fujifilm FinePix HS10:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_hs10/

I wasn't sure if I really wanted to call attention to this camera but it does have one brand new feature that I think you'll be hearing a lot more about:

BSI CMOS: BackSide Illuminated CMOS imager.

The BSI is the important part here in that it potentially allows smaller (also more densely populated) imagers to be more sensitive, allowing less amplification and less sensor noise compared to older technology.

While some camera phones started using this technology, this is the most advanced true advanced digicam to employ the technology. (I'm not saying this is necessarily good or bad, just interesting at this point. The formal reviews should be more revealing than the manufacturer claims.)

Otherwise the camera has an interesting list of capabilities:

30x optical zoom, manual control, equivalent to 24 - 720mm, f2.8 (Wide) - f5.6 (Telephoto)
1080p full HD @ 30 fps and stereo video acquisition (remember this is with the manual control of the 30x zoom lens)
Tilting LCD
E-Viewfinder turns on when you approach it with your eye (this is handier than it might seem)
External flash capability
RAW files
Uses AA batteries
10 fps continuous capture, only to a shot depth of 7 images?
1000 fps high-speed video, but resolution, and duration, is not quoted (probably not much)

Time will tell if this is a serious tool or a toy.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    ne_nau.gif "sample images available soon" heh.

I wonder how many stop the backwards sensor will give you
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 2, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    ne_nau.gif "sample images available soon" heh.

I wonder how many stop the backwards sensor will give you

Fuji is claiming a 1 stop increase in effective sensitivity. It's still a very small sensor so I hope no one expects miracles. If they could pull off a usable ISO 1600 then I could see many uses.
    ziggy53
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Fuji is claiming a 1 stop increase in effective sensitivity. It's still a very small sensor so I hope no one expects miracles. If they could pull off a usable ISO 1600 then I could see many uses.

hmmm..1 stop is significant but not realy mind blowing.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 2, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    hmmm..1 stop is significant but not realy mind blowing.

The technology is still emerging but it would appear that the process can be accomplished using much of the available CMOS manufacturing equipment. That should mean a fairly rapid adaptation and similar costs.

Any time you can gain a 1 stop advantage, that's a good thing. (Improved lenses over the photosites only yielded fractional improvements, for instance.)

Last I heard, Kodak, Sony, Canon and Nikon all have related patents so the next couple of years should be interesting.
    ziggy53
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Us DSLRs users are happy at wide end, but anything longer than 500mm, or even 300mm gets expensive.
    So having a near 800mm lens F5.6 is a big bonus.
    Will this cam be the budget birders holy grail.
    Only samples will tell, but lets see. This can be a good companion cam to my trusty old 350D which I can then dedicate fully to a sigma 10-20 :)