Options

Signed Prints

hkbphotohkbphoto Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited February 4, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
How would a photographer go about signing digital prints for sale via either SmugMug labs? How do you sign a digital print? I never understood how this was done on film format. Do you just sign a print and give it to the client? Is it really that simple, or is there more to it?:dunno
HKB Photo Studio - Photography by Keith Birmingham

HKB Photo - The on-line portfolio of Keith Birmingham

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    hkbphoto wrote:
    How would a photographer go about signing digital prints for sale via either SmugMug labs? How do you sign a digital print? I never understood how this was done on film format. Do you just sign a print and give it to the client? Is it really that simple, or is there more to it?ne_nau.gif

I sign the print using an archival pen on the bottom right....but I don't use Smugmug for my nature stuff.
  • Options
    hkbphotohkbphoto Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    signatures
    I sign the print using an archival pen on the bottom right....but I don't use Smugmug for my nature stuff.

Quiet frankly, my signature is not the easiest to read. I don't think anyone would appreciate it. I don't.
    HKB Photo Studio - Photography by Keith Birmingham

HKB Photo - The on-line portfolio of Keith Birmingham
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Many professionals who work with pro labs will use a foil imprint/emboss process that produces a small, sharp, non-distracting but noticeable logo (usually a script name) in one of the image corners.

Unfortunately, this is not possible through SmugMug--or even Bay Photo directly.

Milers does: http://www.millerslab.com/info/products/printsfinish/foilstamping.aspx

Also, fine art photographers will of course sign their work, usually on the mat, but may adapt their normal signature to be more readable. Or not.

If I'm providing "just a print" for less than $20, I won't sign it.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    termina3 wrote:

Also, fine art photographers will of course sign their work, usually on the mat....

This is a point I would love to hear comments on. Some photographers sign the mat and some sign the print. There is an argument to be made for either.

I sell my matted prints from a small gallery and I sign the print because some customers plan on changing the mat to match others or just because they want their "framing guy" to mat it as well. I mat all of my pix with an inexpensive single mat for the same reason. My prints are matted to 11x14 and 16x20. People also buy unmatted prints at 12x18, 16x20, 16x24, 20x30 and 24x36. These of course I have to sign on the print.

If I sell a completely framed work (this happens seldom since most of my customers are traveling), I could sign the mat but since all of my other prints are signed I do the same.

I feel like the value of the signature goes with the print rather than the mat.

Love to hear other thoughts though....
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    I prefer the look of sharp, crisp pencil on light mat rather than a marking on the print itself.

Also, I haven't found a marking tool that consistently and permanently marks the prints…
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    I use Picnik from Smugmug.