Upgrading camera - canon

nicki2414nicki2414 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited February 4, 2010 in Cameras
I have been doing portraits for a few years now with a canon xti. I have loved this camera, but I have started to do weddings also so I need to upgrade my equipment. I have about $1000.00 to spend. I don't mind buying used. I have been looking at the Canon 50d, but have seen some bad reviews. I have L quality lenses and all the top canon gear. Just need a new body. Any recommendations?

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    nicki2414 wrote:
    I have been doing portraits for a few years now with a canon xti. I have loved this camera, but I have started to do weddings also so I need to upgrade my equipment. I have about $1000.00 to spend. I don't mind buying used. I have been looking at the Canon 50d, but have seen some bad reviews. I have L quality lenses and all the top canon gear. Just need a new body. Any recommendations?

A 50 D isn't the end of the world. A 7d would work. A 5D2 is ideal. You need a minimum of two cameras and preferable to have 3 for wedding work. What if one fails? I've had two cameras be ready and both cameras fail at the same time during a ceremony. My 3rd camera was ready until I could see what happened to the other two. You need low light capability.

Look up Scott Quier's thread - he talks about wedding gear in his thread signature link.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    All reviews aside, the 50D is a quite suitable camera for just about any sort of work. I've worked weddings with a pair of 30D cameras ... resulting in very happy clients.

A step up from there, in terms of IQ, is the 5D (classic). Some say this camera has some AF issues. Don't know, I just know the IQ is killer - if you can keep the sensor clean. deal.gif

And the 5DII? Um, acquiring that camera was a life-altering event. The difference between the 50D and the 5DII is much like the difference between night and day. I've used this camera to shoot in environments nearly as dark as the proverbial cave with few focus issues.

For me, one advantage the 50D and 5DII have over early cameras is the ability to tweak the AF. This alone, for me, is with the price of entry and more than compensates for any short-comings these cameras might have. Using the AF Microadjustment feature, I have been able to turn great glass (17-44 f/2.8 IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM, etc) with minor focusing issues into great glass without these minor focusing issues.

I can't talk to the 7D as I've never even held on in my hand. You might be able to attract Nikolai or Ziggy53 into the discussion. Nikolai has experience with the 7D and, of course, Ziggy is the expert bowdown.gif on all things camera hardware.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 3, 2010
    The suggestion for having 2 camera bodies for wedding work is an absolute must. Decent flashes and flash modifiers are also required. A flash with focus assist can make all the difference in low-light environments in whether you can achieve focus or not.

While I put lighting as the highest priority, in terms of capability and control, decent lenses are also required for paying work. If you don't yet have some fast primes and fast, constant aperture zooms, you might consider those as well.

Before heading out on your own, see if you can sell your services as a second shooter. This is a very good way to earn money and gain experience.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • nicki2414nicki2414 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    actually I already own two of everything! I have the primes, L series lens 580II flashes. I actually get GREAT results with my xti and have happy clients. I guess I should explain that I have upgraded EVERYTHING in doubles since the beginning... I have always been afraid to give up my xti's because I know exactly what I can and need to do during certain situations. I have been second shooting for awhile and have started to break out on my own this year. I have done about 10 or more weddings on my own with this equipment. I have really started to fill up with wedding booking for 2010 and 2011 so I know I need a better performing body. So im mixed with fear and anticipation over acquiring a new body! I will be keeping both my xti's for now as backups along with all of my other equipment. I have no idea why I built around these bodies like I have. I guess I just kept saying someday... while spend 1000's for everything else making sure it was the best I could buy... ha ha ha I probably did come off as a little bit of a novice when it comes to wedding. lol I have the experience of shooting, just not with a new body! I'm looking for people who work with them. I always believe that the best reviews are from pros working with the equipment on a daily basis. So that said thanks guys for the great info. I really wish I could spend the extra for the 5dII.... sigh! I have used that one before and it is amazing. But for now I need an upgrade for around 1000. I am thinking the 50d would be perfect for what I do (I do a lot of sports also). any other info about other models I should consider for under 1000?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 3, 2010
    Nicki, it does seem that you are more advanced than the first post in this thread indicated.

Since you are fairly well vested in equipment otherwise I agree that it's probably time for a better body. While the 50D and 40D are both fine for this, and lots of both professional and semi-professional people shoot weddings with them, I would be remiss not to mention that even an older 1D MKII would be appropriate.

The advantages of the 1D MKII are a much improved AF capability, (AF speed, AF accuracy and AF sensitivity in low light are all improved over any Canon xxD model), the extra safety of dual memory card shooting, the large battery reserve and integrated vertical grip all make this a true professional's camera.

Since you can often now find the 1D MKII at your price point, KEH has 4 copies right now ranging from EX+ to EX that are right around $1000USD, you might look at them as contenders.

I use them for both wedding and event work and they are amazingly durable cameras and extremely responsive even by today's standards. In conjunction with a modern RAW converter software they actually are improved over the reviews of the camera when it was new. Coupled with good lighting technique and good processing technique, I can produce very high quality product.

The 5D MKII is something you should look at for future purchase just for the formals. Out of your price range for now, it just shines for group formals especially.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • nicki2414nicki2414 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Thanks for the website ziggy! I don't know how i have never seen that one before! I'm checking it out right now and thanks for the advice on the camera body! looks like i have some research to do!