How to determine if a camera is a fake?

GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
edited February 4, 2010 in Cameras
Hi everyone.

I have been asked by a friend to switch his new Lumix G1 into English. The current setting is Japanese. I think he bought the camera online from Taiwan, but not sure. I speak and read Japanese, so no problems, but the language option is not in the setup menu where it should be according to the English manual I got off the web. The camera itself looks real, but maybe a little plasticky. I haven't handled one of these before, so I don't know if that's how genuine ones look. But the menu characters/writing looks suspiciously cheap/low quality to me. I didn't think Panasonic would release a product with low quality display in the menu on a camera like this. It says Made in Japan (in Japanese) on the base, but is there any way I can tell if this is a fake camera or not? Thanks.

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Check to see if Panasonic will let you register the camera online. If so, their online form will have a place for serial number and will tell you if the number is invalid. That'd be a place to start at least. Second would be trying to find a camera shop (or someone else) who has a real one you can get your hands on.
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Good idea pupator. Not sure if I want to try and register without my friend knowing, and I'm not sure if I want to tell him he bought a fake. I probably should, but not sure yet. I wonder if there are any online sites about fake stuff...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 3, 2010
    Check the firmware version and, if it's older, attempt to update the firmware. (If it is a fake that should pretty well destroy the camera.)

I am not aware of any major camera fakes on the market except for some re-badged cameras which are obvious fakes if you know your cameras.

Why would your friend buy a Japanese version? What do they intend to do for future service and support?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 4, 2010
    Yeah, thanks Ziggy. don't want to destroy his camera! Hehe.

I think he bought it on the net thinking he would get a good deal. He thought it might be in Chinese or Japanese. He planned to switch it into English as you can usually do with most electronics. He's not a close friend, so I don't really know too much. I think he likes buying cheap stuff online.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Not necessary fake.
    There are local version in Japan which do not support multi-language setting and looks slighty different from the export model.
    I used to shop in Tokyo for the electronic toys which you never find it outside Japan or have to wait for another 6 month before you can buy in overseas.
    Anyway, you can check the company Japan website to see whether you can find their local model and try to register online.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited February 4, 2010
    Yes. There are local only versions, but I am fairly sure this isn't one. I lived in Japan for 10 years, and from my experience those are usually experimental, and the visual quality is very good. The menus in this camera are not very good quality. I can't see Panasonic releasing this. But I might be wrong.