Options

43: having trouble with this... C&C?

red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited February 6, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi,
I've been trying to get out there and find some shots that are a little more creative than my usual and really have that 'wow' factor.
I was leaving work the other day as the sun was setting and tried to capture the setting sun reflecting between buildings... I'm in the shade, so I'm not happy with the exposure. This is a jpeg with the camera (d5000) on the 'vivid color' pp mode.

780036579_66Xh3-L.jpg

and as I'm posting this up here I can see that this is the version that I didn't crop... I didn't remove much, just a little from the bottom and right, to cut out that person.

It just doesn't convey the right feeling. What do you all think? Try to work with it or keep shooting?

Comments

• Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I think this has the angle problem that a few other people's shots have had -- I don't feel like there's a good reason for me to be seeing this building at this angle.

I like the reflection though.
  • Options
    JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Maybe what you want is just the portion above the entrance - the portion with the reflection (and straightened). Kind of a "North by Northwest" relections in a grid of windows theme.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Try getting tighter on the windows. I like the pattern of the windows at the far end of the building, in addition to the ones with the reflection.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    Unfortunately the angle was necessary to get the lit building in the totally glazed portion over the entrance... I'll try a few more things today, if the light works.

Thanks for the feedback!
    edited February 4, 2010
    The first picture is the view I was inspired by, but here are a few others from that photo set that might actually have more potential.

780787784_QB63n-M.jpg

780787588_JmFPu-M.jpg

781252987_6i7Ek-M.jpg

I kind of think that the windows in #4 look like armor.

Post edited: #4 is now cropped.
    edited February 5, 2010
    You may want to try a longer lens to be able to get closer to the windows from the same vantage point. That approach is on my to-do list for this weekend!
    Cheers,
    Mark
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Mark,
    we're having what we call a "snowpocalypse" (panic! rolleyes1.gif) here in the nation's capitol... so unfortunately the sun won't be cooperating for a re-shoot... I have some other ideas though? We'll see if I can get around to shooting them.
    edited February 5, 2010
    good luck. here's a thought: i like #3 above. what if you cropped to keep the building with the reflection on the left, and entirely cropped out the building on the right. its extreme, but could be very cool.
    cheers,
    mark;)
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I like #3 best, but I would go closer.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I definitely like your second set. I was going to commend you on your "pre-snow" foresight. :D Maybe Sunday afternoon will be clear...and snow covered.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    photo-bug wrote:
    I like #3 best, but I would go closer.

Tried it... liked it, then cropped even closer. Here's another crop of #3. Totally different feel.

781905352_gZBZJ-L.jpg
    edited February 6, 2010
    This is much more successful than the others...it says WINDOW, not ARCHITECTURE!!!
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    rteest42 wrote:
    This is much more successful than the others...it says WINDOW, not ARCHITECTURE!!!

This is a winner in my opinion. The reflections are awesome. Great job! clap.gif
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D