girls on ice (not the show)

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited February 8, 2010 in People
These were shot on a frozen lake, near where this little girl lives. It's a beautiful area and because of the cold, you could walk and skate a good distance on the lakes.

I've got some more, but I'm looking for some feedback on the PP. How's the temperature? Opinions on the vignette? How's the rest?

780049907_8kWZ5-XL.jpg

780050054_7mZtj-XL.jpg

780056176_Veyk2-XL.jpg

Her brother; not crazy about this one, but I do really the (reflection in) his eyes:
780054887_gbUpK-L.jpg

:ear

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    WOW, so vast! I love the child's blue eyes (excellent focus) and the bright color pop of the pink against the vast snow. You ask how the temperatures look....Laughing.gif, COLD! But honestly skintones look wonderful. Nice work. Really beautiful.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    First one is nice, but I really love the second one. You might want to clone out the very faint tower on the horizon -- w/o it, the vastness of the lake is improved IMO.
    Nice SP on the last one :D
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I really like 2 and 4. thumb.gif

2 because it isn't 'typical'.
    4 because I'm a softie for close-ups and like the "softness" or "calming" effect that I get from the image.

I'm on a POS screen right now so can't/won't give thoughts on temp's.
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    All of them have weird vignetting in them. Did you add this on purpose or was it there when you shot it?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    WOW, so vast! I love the child's blue eyes (excellent focus) and the bright color pop of the pink against the vast snow. You ask how the temperatures look....Laughing.gif, COLD! But honestly skintones look wonderful. Nice work. Really beautiful.
    Thanks, Kelly! :curtsey
    edited February 4, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    First one is nice, but I really love the second one. You might want to clone out the very faint tower on the horizon -- w/o it, the vastness of the lake is improved IMO.
    Nice SP on the last one :D
    Thanks for the suggestion! I think it is actually a buoy, but I'll see what I can do when I have some time thumb.gif
    edited February 4, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I really like 2 and 4. thumb.gif

2 because it isn't 'typical'.
    4 because I'm a softie for close-ups and like the "softness" or "calming" effect that I get from the image.

I'm on a POS screen right now so can't/won't give thoughts on temp's.
    Thanks for looking thumb.gif

Yeah, 2 is one of my more favorite ones, also :D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion! I think it is actually a buoy, but I'll see what I can do when I have some time thumb.gif
    I see what you are talking about, but look in the sky about 3cm to the right of the buoy. There is a very tall structure barely visible through the clouds.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited February 4, 2010
    Matt336 wrote:
    All of them have weird vignetting in them. Did you add this on purpose or was it there when you shot it?
    I added it. I take it you don't really care for it? lol3.gif

How about without them? ear.gif

780928149_hsamQ-XL.jpg

780928191_t9T9E-XL.jpg

780928116_k92tj-XL.jpg
    edited February 4, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I see what you are talking about, but look in the sky about 3cm to the right of the buoy. There is a very tall structure barely visible through the clouds.
    oh that barely visible thing lol3.gif yeah now I see what you are talking about, I'll try that one instead thumb.gif
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Hi Ivar,

I'm a newbie (again) so my comments ain't worth much but at least I'm Dutch like you ;-)

I think that the first shot would have been so much better if you would have brought the camera down a whole bunch, like from a kneeling position. I'm a freak of contrasting colors so I like it anyway ;-)

cheers,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    I added it. I take it you don't really care for it? lol3.gif

How about without them? ear.gif

780928149_hsamQ-S.jpg

780928191_t9T9E-S.jpg

780928116_k92tj-S.jpg

The more I look at the first 2, I prefer the vignetting. If the vignetting was toned down a bit on the lower right corner in the third one (so it didn't make her jacket pink and grey instead of pink and white) I think it would look better. Nice shots regardless though!:D
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    +1 for keeping the vignette.
    edited February 8, 2010
    DeVerm wrote:
    Hi Ivar,

I'm a newbie (again) so my comments ain't worth much but at least I'm Dutch like you ;-)

I think that the first shot would have been so much better if you would have brought the camera down a whole bunch, like from a kneeling position. I'm a freak of contrasting colors so I like it anyway ;-)

cheers,
    Nick.
    Hi Nick, always good to have more dutchies around thumb.gif Thanks for commenting!

I have a few shots like you are talking about, from a lower point of view, however I trashed those because the vastness of the lake is completely lost in those for some reason, and that's something I'd like to maintain ne_nau.gif
    edited February 8, 2010
    Matt336 wrote:
    The more I look at the first 2, I prefer the vignetting. If the vignetting was toned down a bit on the lower right corner in the third one (so it didn't make her jacket pink and grey instead of pink and white) I think it would look better. Nice shots regardless though!:D
    I think I prefer the vignetting, also. I may try a little more and less, but I'll see. I need some time first :D Not sure how to do 'local' vignetting except for to use PhotoShop and I try to stay away from that as much as possible, but I'll see what I can do lol3.gif
    edited February 8, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    +1 for keeping the vignette.
    Cool, I think the vignette won thumb.gif