July 9, 1942

Bob NBob N Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited August 8, 2005 in People
CRW_3675_BW.jpg

I think of all of the photos I shot of Jill this best evokes the feel and look of the 1940s that I was aiming for. What do you think? Looking at her shoulder, you might think this was high noon on a sunny day. In fact it was a very cloudy but bright day...soon after we shot these photos it poured with parts of Hurricane Dennis!

CRW_3612_BW.jpg
Of course, I also like this one. Jill is fairly small and very light. I wouldn't let just anyone set on the fender of my old 42 Ford GPW jeep! This too, to me, looks like a photo that could have been shot in the 1940s. Of course, being BW you miss out on the red shoes but then again it doesn't cause you to look at her feet first.

Comments

• JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    Yes, it is ecellent, all of the ones I have seen that you shot of her hit on the time you were looking for, but I like the jeep ones better. You might want to cut out the flash reflection in her eyes though.

James.
  • Bob NBob N Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    CRW_3675_2.JPG
    I think it is better without the catch lights. Very nice, thank you for the suggestion.
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    Bob N wrote:
    CRW_3675_2.JPG
    I think it is better without the catch lights. Very nice, thank you for the suggestion.

Very good! I like the idea and the execution! thumb.gif
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    You captured what you were going for very well. Good job.thumb.gif
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    Great shots, I like the idea... thumb.gif

Ed
    edited August 1, 2005
    Thank you for the comments. I have had my digital rebel since just before Christmas. This was only the second model I have shot with and I still have a lot to learn. Composition and detail for one think. The umbrella stuck in her back, doesn't help the image. The image might have been better without the umbrella. But overall I'm satisfied with it.

CRW_3678_BW.jpg

For the 40s theme I think the black and white works best (though I do like color).
  • nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    Great shots, it is 1942 all over again.

I would get rid of the umbrella. It took me 2 minutes.

If you like I could post my version with your permission.

Regards, nicholas
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    Very cool. You've definately captured the look and feel of a bygone era. I like all the shots you've posted but the softness of this one mimics the look of an old brownie or argus camera pretty well. Great photo concept.

CRW_3678_BW.jpg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited August 1, 2005
    Great shots, it is 1942 all over again.

I would get rid of the umbrella. It took me 2 minutes.

If you like I could post my version with your permission.

Regards, nicholas
    Sure! Let's see it.
  • nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    Without umbrella
    Bob N wrote:
    Sure! Let's see it.
    Hi BobN & All,

I elimiated the umbrella both on the left and right side of the subject.
    No other adjustments made:

(Your shoot is a Great Idea. I will try it this September.)

Regards, Nicholas
    edited August 1, 2005
    Hi BobN & All,

I elimiated the umbrella both on the left and right side of the subject.
    No other adjustments made:

(Your shoot is a Great Idea. I will try it this September.)

Regards, Nicholas
    All I see is my image? Oh, wait, I get it you just removed the pole. Isn't the brellie a bit distracting? I worked on the first image. I will post it in the morning. Thanks!
    edited August 2, 2005
    CRW_3675_alter_sm.jpg

I think this works and looks even better. Removed the eye highlights and the umbrella. What do you think?
    edited August 2, 2005
    CRW_3675_alter_1sm.jpg
    I think it works in color as well.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    i like this-it looks like early 1940's colour photography and we can see that she is a red head-i also like your black and white treatment but would like to see them a tiny bit more contrasty-eg blacker blacks etc.anyway-its clearly was a very good session with model, props,costume and hair all going towards a credible impression of the 40's.CRW_3675_alter_1sm.jpg
    I think it works in color as well.[/QUOTE]
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited August 2, 2005
    CRW_3675_alter_1sm_contrast.jpgHow's this one then? I introduced some contrast. Might even say this looks more moody?
    edited August 3, 2005
    Bob N wrote:
    How's this one then? I introduced some contrast. Might even say this looks more moody?
    moody . . . maybe. But I still like the softer, less contrasty version.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited August 3, 2005
    Bob N wrote:
    I think it works in color as well.
    The color version is good (I especially like the red hair) but it looses the vintage, 1940's "old film" look. Thinking this made me wonder what it would look like with a little adjustment to make it look like it fit the color film of the "era" a little more. Here's my attempt at such a look (apologies in advance for messing with your shot - it is already gone from my HD).

30752834-M.jpg

It doesn't make it better but maybe a little more "vintage"?? (but now the red hair is gone:(: )

Fun pictures and thanks for posting them!
    john w

Edward Steichen

edited August 3, 2005
    30752834-M.jpg

What tool did you use to do this. I use Paint Shop Pro for the most part. I like the color but not crazy about the border.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    you were right the first time...
    i like the softer original-i also like the pshop action that someone did to recreate 1940s colour-colour and black and white versions both work for me but i think colour suits it better -if there was more shadow and contrast in the shot to begin with maybe black and white might,in my mind, suit it better.As you have some good colours to work with-her dress the grass and her hair all complement each other and make it pop-and as colour film was available then why not exploit it-you don't lose the period feel at all rather it conveys the period nicely.

keep up the good work-there aren't many model shoots in here and it would be good to see some more.

I have an ambitious one planned for later this month(hopefully) which will involve a girl ,an airport runway and a commercial jetliner-its all sketched out and I have even worked out where the sun will be at given times and now all I need is a new camera (20d next week!) and the model I have chosen to agree...
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    Bob N wrote:

CRW_3612_BW.jpg
    Of course, I also like this one. Jill is fairly small and very light. I wouldn't let just anyone set on the fender of my old 42 Ford GPW jeep! This too, to me, looks like a photo that could have been shot in the 1940s. Of course, being BW you miss out on the red shoes but then again it doesn't cause you to look at her feet first.
    Love both of them, but maybe adjust the exposure on the 2nd one? Get her out of the sun into the shade, she looks a little blown out (flaring at the edges?)

The only reason I suggest, is to seperate her a bit from the background, because the DoF does half the work, the lighting has to do the other half.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited August 4, 2005
    Love both of them, but maybe adjust the exposure on the 2nd one? Get her out of the sun into the shade, she looks a little blown out (flaring at the edges?)

The only reason I suggest, is to seperate her a bit from the background, because the DoF does half the work, the lighting has to do the other half.
    I'm still learning about light. This was a very overcast day. In fact, not long after these shots, Hurricane Dennis (just the fringe not the full impact) added a little excitement and RAIN. Yet, the exposures certainly do have blown areas. What would have helped to begin with? Should I have used a polarizer? How would that help? What about ND filters? Maybe I need to get a light meter...or should I have taken a test shot and then reviewed the histogram and then? Thanks.
    edited August 4, 2005
    Bob N wrote:
    30752834-M.jpg

What tool did you use to do this. I use Paint Shop Pro for the most part. I like the color but not crazy about the border.
    Using Photoshop CS2, mainly just adjustments to saturation and color but I did use one after-market plug-in photoshop filter called Porcelain. Its a free filter by a company called Xero graphics, http://www.xero-graphics.co.uk/products.htm.

The border doesn't work very well, it was an afterthought.
    john w

Edward Steichen

edited August 8, 2005
    CRW_3674_400px.jpg
    I really like this one too. I removed the umbrella from the scene of this one. Also a part of her leg and shoe were showing, so I cloned them out. I used the eye technique on this photo but you really can't see much of the effect in BW or in a photo that small. I'm using this one on my home page www.42fordgpw.com .

CRW_3674_800px.jpg
    However, the color version is pretty nice...still I think I like the BW best. Tho' I didn't try to mess with the saturation to reduce the color.