Yellowstone in winter

Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
edited February 7, 2010 in Landscapes
Last month I took a week-long photography workshop in Yellowstone. We had all sorts of weather from heavy snow to frigid cold. Here are a few photos from that week. C & C always welcome.

774485003_Xrqfw-L.jpg

774484968_XncPV-L.jpg

3. While waiting for Old Faithful Geyser, I took this shot of the Old Faithful Lodge.
775432277_Q5rrd-L.jpg

4. Old Faithful Geyser at -34F.
778981029_uYkRm-L.jpg

Kristine
"How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir

Comments

• astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I really love the execution behind #1, because I took a shot like it in Acadia a few months ago. But here is what I would like to see with it. Crop down from the top, until the hill line in upper left is not there anymore, maybe even more, play with it, but I think a crop on this would make it a stronger composition.

2 Is a neat shot, but it doesn't draw me in after the initial view.

3. Is a cool shot. Like the feel of it and the lighting.

4. Is great also, but do you have a shot after the geyser got to it's full peak discharge? This looks like the beginning of the eruption.
    edited February 3, 2010
    I would crop 1 almost to the tops of the big trees in the middle
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion, astockwell. How does this look? I cropped the top to just above the highest tree and the right side a little bit.

780555113_4fnRT-L.jpg

I think the photo was some large pre-play. After over an hour in -34F, my camera battery died right as Old Faithful started to erupt (fortunately I had a backup and I changed it quickly). Old Faithful was all steam on steam. I think I have a photo from mid eruption; I'll hunt it down and post it.

Kristine
    edited February 3, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion, astockwell. How does this look? I cropped the top to just above the highest tree and the right side a little bit.

780555113_4fnRT-L.jpg

I think the photo was some large pre-play. After over an hour in -34F, my camera battery died right as Old Faithful started to erupt (fortunately I had a backup and I changed it quickly). Old Faithful was all steam on steam. I think I have a photo from mid eruption; I'll hunt it down and post it.

Kristine

That is much better. Really great actually. It really focues the composition more, and makes it more intimate. Also the light coming in from the side like that adds an emphasis on the big trees, and makes the whole shot more dramatic without having the distraction of the ridge line, and the sky.
    edited February 3, 2010
    One last thing now that I see it is the upper right corner. Either crop it down just a bit more from the top or clone some more fog in to cover that corner up. Kind of distracting. Just my .02

-Andy
    edited February 5, 2010
    Thanks Andy! I appreciate your input.

774485003_Xrqfw-L-1.jpg

Kristine
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I think these are great Kristine! I do like the reworked #1.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    ront wrote:
    I think these are great Kristine! I do like the reworked #1.

Ron
    I really like #1. A nice bright blue sky (and more space in the photo) would be the only improvement I'd like.
    thumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Good series, #1 is my favorite. Love the mood on #2 too, though if possible you might want to clone out the white part in the bottom right.

I really want to visit Yellowstone and the Tetons in winter, probably can't this year but next year is a definite possibility.
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I'm headed to the tetons in a few weeks, but not yellowstone. Always wanted to do that. Anyhow, nice photos. Really like the improvements.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
    edited February 6, 2010
    Thanks Andy! I appreciate your input.

774485003_Xrqfw-L-1.jpg

Kristine

Perfect. That is a great shot. This shot needs no sky. The crop compresses the scene well, and the light has great effect on the trees, and makes them the focal point of the shot, and the light sets the mood. (Early morning, cold, fog rising off the trees and snow). I would maybe play with adding more contrast if it was my shot, but I think it stands well by itself as is now.
    edited February 6, 2010
    Ron - Yellowstone is magical in the winter (I have yet to visit the Tetons in the winter). I know you could create some amazing photos.

Tharhawk - Have a wonderful visit!

Kristine
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    Brilliant! The 1st two take my breath away with their abstractness and beauty. clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com