flash light lighting?

MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited February 7, 2010 in Technique
Ok ... Im picturing that this might work as a small un-obtrusive lighting system that allows for more shadow flexiblity...I cant see where its been done but Im sure it has...so links would be appreciated.

What if I bought white LED flash light and created some sort of difuser for it? My theory is that I would have better artistic control over dark situations..with a handheld lighting system(im mostly pertaining to people) but similar lighting strength to a flash...

what do you all think? Have you seen this done before.. if so, what have the results been with this type of lighting senario.

missB
Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
:ivar

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I"ve used flashlights for lighting subjects, but only things..not people.

As for difusing the light I've tried everything from printing paper to velium papers. Focusing is an issue sometimes. You need to manual focus sometimes because auto-focus wouldn't work. But I was doing some close up photography and the light was alittle to bright to find a point to focus on.

Just recieved an LCD flashlight, but haven't tried it out yet. I've always used an old one that we've had for years.

Try it out and have fun :D
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    I"ve used flashlights for lighting subjects, but only things..not people.

As for difusing the light I've tried everything from printing paper to velium papers. Focusing is an issue sometimes. You need to manual focus sometimes because auto-focus wouldn't work. But I was doing some close up photography and the light was alittle to bright to find a point to focus on.

Just recieved an LCD flashlight, but haven't tried it out yet. I've always used an old one that we've had for years.

Try it out and have fun :D

Errr, either I am an idiot and there is a new bulb technology out that I have never heard of...or you meant LED? :D
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I have actually used an Led flash light as the only source of light and it produced a soft bluish light. I had my daughter siting and my camera was on a tripod with a release then I moved the light around until I had the look I wanted. I will try to post my examples.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 5, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Errr, either I am an idiot and there is a new bulb technology out that I have never heard of...or you meant LED? :D
    There is an App for that.

There is an app for the iPhone, iPod Touch that turns on the LCD to use a light source. But beyond 10-15 inches is it very dim. But there is an App for that none the less.

Older halogen bulb flashlights have warmer tones than LED flash lights but both will work, or can be gelled.

This image was painted with a flashlight ( halogen bulb )
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • TallboyTallboy Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    A couple images using a blue-ish LED flashlight as the light source:

1. stack of approx. 3/4 x 1" aluminum angles.

618516504_3CZTG-XL.jpg

2. Hoar frost on a barbedwire fence. LED lit from back/below. White balance set to "flash" setting with a warm bias. shot at night.

758486810_e9EST-XL.jpg
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    There is an App for that.

There is an app for the iPhone, iPod Touch that turns on the LCD to use a light source. But beyond 10-15 inches is it very dim. But there is an App for that none the less.

Older halogen bulb flashlights have warmer tones than LED flash lights but both will work, or can be gelled.

This image was painted with a flashlight ( halogen bulb )

Hmm, I suppose you are right, I hadn't thought about it from that angle. :D
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:

rolleyes1.gif That's what happens when an old lady doesn't get her nap rolleyes1.gif
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:

blahahahah... yup..you're right.. whoops :)
    edited February 6, 2010
    Tallboy wrote:
    A couple images using a blue-ish LED flashlight as the light source:

1. stack of approx. 3/4 x 1" aluminum angles.

618516504_3CZTG-M.jpg

2. Hoar frost on a barbedwire fence. LED lit from back/below. White balance set to "flash" setting with a warm bias. shot at night.

758486810_e9EST-M.jpg

oh wow.. so cool!!!!!!
    edited February 6, 2010
    May have to try this.. those who have I'd love to see what you came up with.. im mostly interested in seeing it done using people as the subjects..but im facinated in general..what a fantastically creative crowd.. I <3 you guys!!
    edited February 7, 2010
    MissB wrote:
    May have to try this.. those who have I'd love to see what you came up with.. im mostly interested in seeing it done using people as the subjects..but im facinated in general..what a fantastically creative crowd.. I <3 you guys!!
    Here are a few shots that I did using an LED Flashlight as the only light source. The first two I did apply skin softening but that is all.

783081963_8HenC-L-1.jpg
    F 5/6 exp 1.5 sec

783082014_e7vZL-L-1.jpg
    F 5/6 exp 2 sec

783082216_LSGq9-L-1.jpg
    F 5/6 exp 4 sec
    Dennis
    Work in progress
    edited February 7, 2010
    dbveto wrote:
    Here are a few shots that I did using an LED Flashlight as the only light source. The first two I did apply skin softening but that is all.

783081963_8HenC-L-1.jpg
    F 5/6 exp 1.5 sec

783082014_e7vZL-L-1.jpg
    F 5/6 exp 2 sec

783082216_LSGq9-L-1.jpg
    F 5/6 exp 4 sec

these are really interesting.. was the led blue?? I wonder what It would look like a little warmer. Did you use a difuser of some sort or was it SOO-flash light? thank you for sharing!!
    edited February 7, 2010
    The first two I held the light and moved it until I had the look I was looking for. I did not change or diffuse the light at all, the location was a basement rec room with the lights off.
    Dennis
    Work in progress