Digital Download Questions

hkbphotohkbphoto Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited February 4, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Are there any formulas for figuring prices for digital downloads? Does "low rez" mean smaller file size? Should dd's cost less than say a 11"x14" from the lab? What is pricing difference between personal and commercial? Any way to track them?

For prints from the lab I have a formula based on my ability as an advanced amateur. Hopefully, those prices will escalate but stay fair to my clients. I am loosing interest in the stock photography game because of the (pardon me) crap that has flooded the market.

By-the-way, I make lots of mistakes, but I appreciate it when someone straightens me out on them.
HKB Photo Studio - Photography by Keith Birmingham

HKB Photo - The on-line portfolio of Keith Birmingham

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Hi

If you want to think about the digital file in terms of print sales, then a 1MP download is sufficient in size to print as large a print as an 8x10, and when someone has the digital file they can use it numerous times and numerous ways. So some would argue it has more value to a customer than a single print.

The 4MP and original files will provide the buyer opportunity to print the file as a larger print.

However, lots of customers don't actually see the digital file as being more valuable than a print, and balk at paying the same price or more, so it really depends on your space in the market.

There have been great threads on this in the past in the Mind Your Own Business forum, so check there as well.

ann