Options

First time buyer of DSLR

flyfishermanflyfisherman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 2, 2005 in Cameras
I have owned a Nikon N65 for a number of years. Still works well. However, I am now interested in buying a DSLR camera. I understand that the lenses from the Nikon N65 are compatible with the DSLR (I owned two lenses). What DSLR cameras should I look at? What features? I am mostly interested in shooting outdoor photography with the ability to zoom to about 100 yards type shots. Any recommendations on how to go about getting smart on DSLRs? Any books or magazines worth getting?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    I have owned a Nikon N65 for a number of years. Still works well. However, I am now interested in buying a DSLR camera. I understand that the lenses from the Nikon N65 are compatible with the DSLR (I owned two lenses). What DSLR cameras should I look at? What features? I am mostly interested in shooting outdoor photography with the ability to zoom to about 100 yards type shots. Any recommendations on how to go about getting smart on DSLRs? Any books or magazines worth getting?

Thanks,
    Since you already own two Nikon lenses, I would suggest you consider the Nikon D50 or D70. They are both excellent. The D50 is the newer model, is slightly smaller, and has the same resolution as the D70.

A good place to look for reviews and comparisons is here or here.

I bought a D70 in April and I'm very pleased with it.

Most folks on this forum are prejudiced toward Canon cameras, which are also a good choice.

If you want to talk fly fishing, send me a PM.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    Firstly welcome to D/grin flyfisherman. Mostly canon & nikon in here with a few pentax in for good measure in the DSLR cat.

All i can advise is to go & hold all the cameras & get the sales assistant to show you how to navigate through the cameras functions (i know thats easier said than done)

Also i would recommend going here & here using the search tool to see samples of the camera you want to view with a particular lens or just that lens itself.

Good luck
    Gus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    Now thats just plain scary.....eek7.gif

Both at identicle times....

jthomas wrote:
    A good place to look for reviews and comparisons is here or here.
    Humungus wrote:
    Also i would recommend going here & here
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Now thats just plain scary.....eek7.gif

Both at identicle times....
    Yes, except they are links to different sites.
  • Options
    flyfishermanflyfisherman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2005
    Thanks for the useful feedback
    After reading your inputs and looking at the referenced sites, I have decided to go for the Nikon D50. What is a good price? Should I get a maintenance contract (are these digital cameras very delicate. I will be using mine a lot in possibly tough weather)? What lenses should I get (I owned a ~ 20-80 and ~ 70-300 mm)? I am most interested in outdoor photography (long shots, fishing, action shots like during crew regattas, wildlife, etc.). Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    After reading your inputs and looking at the referenced sites, I have decided to go for the Nikon D50. What is a good price? Should I get a maintenance contract (are these digital cameras very delicate. I will be using mine a lot in possibly tough weather)? What lenses should I get (I owned a ~ 20-80 and ~ 70-300 mm)? I am most interested in outdoor photography (long shots, fishing, action shots like during crew regattas, wildlife, etc.). Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

B&H in New York is a very reputable dealer with competitive prices.

I don't think the cameras are very delicate; the choice of maintenance contract is a personal preference. I generally think of these contracts as a waste of money.

As to lenses, if you still have the 28-80 and the 70-300, you are pretty well covered. The kit lens which comes with the D70 (18-70 f/3.5-5.6) is well regarded. Keep in mind that the "crop" factor of the D50 sensor gives you a 50% increase in focal length. I have developed a spreadsheet which will calculate the angle of view for various focal lengths for the D50 (or D70) sensor. PM me if you would like me to send it.

Another very sound lens choice is the very inexpensive but excellent Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 prime.

There are many people on this forum who are much better qualified to advise you than me. You might also want to look at the Nikon Cafe forum.
  • Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005

Before you make that decision, have you had a chance to handle them? I recently bought a D70 (with the kit lens, a 18-70mm) and I personally found the D50 to just not feel right. I can't really explain it, but the D70 just felt better. I am not saying that you won't like the D50, I am just saying that you should handle them before you choose.

Whatever you decide on, good luck, and I am sure you will love the move to digital!

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    I think maintenance contracts are typically a waste of money. I called my insurance company and added my 20D to my homeowners policy for $15/yr. He said not only does this include theft, but it covers accidental breakage as well!!! clap.gif

Call your insurance agent first!thumb.gif
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos