Options

dss43 - C&C please

liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited February 4, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
hi. i've gone in several different directions with this challenge. please feel free to give me feedback on these shots. which is your fave? what do you like? not like? sorry so many!
thanks! -mark;)

cold soul #1
780598048_fsQVQ-XL.jpg

cold soul #2
780598115_mhBbv-XL.jpg

diner b+w
780597929_xwcm2-XL.jpg

diner color
780597866_tkEpw-XL.jpg

portal
780597721_t4UiW-XL.jpg

lazy afternoon
780597800_fCiKu-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    From theme, I like the last one best, but the shadow spoils the balance for me. The diner pictures say more 'diner' than 'window' to me. The first two are nicely unusual. Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    #1 caught my attention. You might try getting even closer.

I like the crispness of the diner shots. I would like to see more of the people.

Portal is nice. I like the colors. For this challenge, I think it would work better with a closer crop.

The painted windows in lazy afternoon are cool. The shadow detracts. Maybe you can reshoot. And see how you like it without the upper windows.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    I kind of like Portal, and I agree with the others on that last shot. would be really nice to get it without the shadow if you can.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    I like #1. Is it a piece of artwork?
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Ok, I'm going to be different. I like the B&W version of the Diner the best and I like how you only see the top portion of the people's heads. Not sure that I helped any. Good luck!
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the feedback fellow dgrinners!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    I like #1. Is it a piece of artwork?

I'm not sure if you are asking me directly about #1, but if you are, I can tell you how I made it.
    It's a composite of 3 different shots I took: the snowy rock, the round window frame, and the eye (all fresh shots for this challenge). I didn't shoot them intending to put them together, it just happened when I was playing around in Photoshop. At first, I didn't really like it, but I kept tinkering and came up with something I like. Full disclosure: my wife suggested a tighter crop, and it was a great suggestion!

Cheers,
    Mark
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    re: #1 ... I think that it's a really neat concept, but that it would have gone a lot better if the rock didn't have snow, or if the snow didn't intercept the window frame. It's pretty obvious where it was hidden at the bottom of the window. That said, I can do exactly zero post-processing, so, also... way to go!

Otherwise, I'm going to have to go with #4, because those paintings are just cute. re-crop to just the lower right or re-shoot w/o shadow and it'll be even stronger.
    edited February 4, 2010
    Post a lot of different pictures and you'll get a lot of different opinions!!!

I like #2 b/c it looks whale-like....you know "window to the soul" thing. and in #2, you don't notice the bottom of the PSd window frame as much.

Go with your gut if it's a toss-up.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    Thanks again. I'll try another version of #1 and #2 with the snow covering the white part of the window frame. Good suggestion!
    Mark