Second Star Trail Attempt

Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited February 9, 2010 in Landscapes
This is a 24 minute run of 30 second exposures. I couldn't find any other subject around here that didn't have too much light pollution ruining the shot.

22356_1330183943574_1500245025_2837791_6765633_n.jpg
Karl Lindsay
Nikon D600
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Induro CT-014 Tripod
karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    This is still a really great attempt! It's hard to work with long exposures in a bright area but you do what you can. Would it be possible to blend two shots so the trees aren't so bright? The stars part of this looks awesome.
  • DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    I love doing these simply because I set the camera and walk away lol

I agree about the trees. Something about them just looks off.

Here's one I did about a month or so ago.
    77 photos merged with Star Trails ISO 400 - f/9 - 30 second exposures
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/240photo/4227729101/
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    DigitalMom wrote:

Here's one I did about a month or so ago.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/240photo/4227729101/

It definitely is good to know that the camera can keep going while you preoccupy yourself with other things. Your image is great, would be great to go for longer and have no planes fly by. Nice trick with the hair tie too.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    edited February 9, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    This is still a really great attempt! It's hard to work with long exposures in a bright area but you do what you can. Would it be possible to blend two shots so the trees aren't so bright? The stars part of this looks awesome.

Thanks schmoo. I wasn't heaps impressed with my subject. I chose it because it was the only one and it sort of frames the stars too. The breeze was blowing a little, so that is why the trees look a little funny. Unfortunately, right behind me was a light shining in my direction so that is why the tree is bright. I get home at the end of the week so will be trying some stuff with less light and smog around as well as much nicer subjects and longer exposures.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    I had a conversation tonight with a friend how bright the stars were tonight at my house. Of course it was because there was no moon...but I might try some cool shots like these...thanks for the inspiration!
    Growing with Dgrin

edited February 9, 2010
    leaforte wrote:
    I had a conversation tonight with a friend how bright the stars were tonight at my house. Of course it was because there was no moon...but I might try some cool shots like these...thanks for the inspiration!

Give it a shot! or 50 in my case. I haven't been able to find an outstanding subject yet, hope you've got something you can use.

My method of stacking is in photoshop, each image as a separate later, with every layer except the bottom one on the lighten blending mode. If you run windows there are software options linked to above by DigitalMom

Good luck.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    It definitely is good to know that the camera can keep going while you preoccupy yourself with other things. Your image is great, would be great to go for longer and have no planes fly by. Nice trick with the hair tie too.
    I wish I could of gotten it with no planes. Being 10 miles from the airport, it's a little hard to get a shot without them in it lol And the only way to do it is right above a street light and then I'm dealing with the flare off of that.