Options

Well this sucks...

Kevin KramerKevin Kramer Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited February 8, 2010 in Weddings
I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow. It just so happens to be the Philadelphia Area.. It also happens to be the day where Mother Nature wants to dump 12+ inches of snow on the ground in two days. I can't cancel on her, as she signed the contract, but i also don't want to put my life on the line. She's also not re-scheduling her wedding either.

So we're trekking out 3 hours before the scheduled time to make sure we get there on time and take portraits that are now in a hotel room, because the park we had in mind will be all white..

Has anyone ever ran into this problem before? I've dealt with rain before, but never snow.. ugh!!!
Nikon D300s and Nikon D7000
Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8
2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
website | blog | facebook

Comments

• Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I want to shoot a wedding in the snow... think of a bridal party session where everyone is throwing snowballs at each other? (other than the bride. She can just point and laugh.)
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I would much rather have snow instead of rain. So long as transportation and safety are taken care of, make the most of it! What's wrong with taking pictures in the snow? I know I'm about to try and convince the couple I am working with tomorrow to head into the snow!
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010

oh snap! I might actually do this! The ceremony will be in a hall, but I will no doubt take them outside now. After looking at these, i'm now ready for the challenge!

I think I'm more concerned that it's going to be a blizzard tomorrow. And I'm really concerned for whiteout conditions.

I must say thank you for the great ideas too..
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    GO FOR IT!!!

Somewhere on weather.com is a list of photos you can see (by amateurs) of "wild weather" - posted YEARS ago is a couple standing in the yard/parking lot of the church where they were married with snow EVERYWHERE. They're facing each other, church in the background holding a black umbrella kissing under it, I *think* her foot was popped, I don't remember. And it's AWESOME!!!! The Bride said that they had no IDEA it would snow until the night before a freak storm came through and dumped half a foot on everything.

I'll see if I can find it for you and link you over there.

I agree with earlier sentiments, if transportation is taken care of, go for it!!
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    thank you all for the insight and I'm going for it! I can't wait to do this and hopefully will be able to post photos as soon as possible..
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Just think of it as a Great Opportunity to produce some super photos!

If you're outdoors, don't forget to use incident-light metering (else everything will tend to be under-exposed).

If in doubt, over-expose (check histogram so as not to overdo it!); bracket like hell, and have a great time!

(Love the suggestion about snow-ball fight by the way)

Are you taking an assistant?

Don't forget an umbrella (or two…)

Good luck! (looking forward to seeing the results)

thumb.gif

- Wil

(BTW - Welcome to DGPF!)
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Hi Will! Thanks for the welcome!

I am thinking of it as a great opportunity. I will have an assistant with me. It's actually my wife, who doesn't know yet, but will be holding umbrellas over my head! rolleyes1.gif

The histogram will be my friend!!

Thanks again, i'm really excited to see what comes up!
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Just think of it as a Great Opportunity to produce some super photos!

If you're outdoors, don't forget to use incident-light metering (else everything will tend to be under-exposed).

If in doubt, over-expose (check histogram so as not to overdo it!); bracket like hell, and have a great time!

(Love the suggestion about snow-ball fight by the way)

Are you taking an assistant?

Don't forget an umbrella (or two…)

Good luck! (looking forward to seeing the results)

thumb.gif

- Wil

(BTW - Welcome to DGPF!)
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    I can assist you!! I am right across the bridge! I really just want to throw snowballs ... rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I was married at Snoqualmie Pass WA, and we got about a 6 inch dusting the night before. The shots of my bride, in her gown, in the snow were breath taking....I wish she would have left me a few in the divorce...lol
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    digger2digger2 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Watch out for
    Condensation. Just keep plenty of towels, cloths and such like handy. Also try and keep your camera inside a ziplock and cut out a lens hole if it's that bad.
  • Options
    BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    I'm staring out the window and though I agree you should think of it as an adventure, be careful. I know Delaware already declared a state of emergency so no one can be on the roads. I'm in south Jersey and we're getting slammed hardcore. My dog thinks it's the greatest thing next to his plush duck. Have fun... BE SAFE.
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Down here in Baltimore, we have 20+ inches of snow already, and it's going to keep on snowing all day.

Everything planned for this weekend is completely canceled. The governor has declared a state of emergency, and everyone has been instructed to NOT go out except in an emergency. Any weddings that had been planed for this weekend in Maryland are toast.

I'm eager to see more snow-wedding pics when this mess is done.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    well. i'm upset to say that the snow has postponed the wedding. we have almost up to two feet of snow here in the Philly area. It's near whiteout conditions so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't look good for outside shots.. ugh..

I'm looking forward to the make up date.. maybe i'll bring a fake snow blower?? haha..

For those who are stuck in this mess, we should take our cameras out today, and shoot the blizzard of 2010!
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    What did the B+G say? Man... I tried to dig my cars out, and bleah!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    What did the B+G say? Man... I tried to dig my cars out, and bleah!

Well.. things have changed. We're at two feet of snow. The bride called and postponed with me. She got a call from the Hall, and the Bakery that she's out of luck if she postpones.

She called me back asking if I made alternative plans for the day, which I didn't, but the snow is coming down at a rate of 1-3 inches per hour. My car is buried, and there's a blizzard warning. She told me that the wedding is back on. I even tried to dig my car out and it's not working at all.

We then came up with an alternative that she's going to get re-dressed and take photos where they were originally going to be taken, in the park they wanted. Because the weather is so bad, no one really can show up. Even the best man of the wedding can't show up because he's snowed in!

I feel horrible that I won't be able to do the photos for her. Damn snow!! :cry
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    oh my gosh!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Well.. things have changed. We're at two feet of snow. The bride called and postponed with me. She got a call from the Hall, and the Bakery that she's out of luck if she postpones.

She called me back asking if I made alternative plans for the day, which I didn't, but the snow is coming down at a rate of 1-3 inches per hour. My car is buried, and there's a blizzard warning. She told me that the wedding is back on. I even tried to dig my car out and it's not working at all.

We then came up with an alternative that she's going to get re-dressed and take photos where they were originally going to be taken, in the park they wanted. Because the weather is so bad, no one really can show up. Even the best man of the wedding can't show up because he's snowed in!

I feel horrible that I won't be able to do the photos for her. Damn snow!! :cry
    IMHO, she should have had an idea this could happen. It is Feb in the north east. Snows possible at any time.

Nothing you can do. Enjoy the day off.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    well.. how far are you from where she is again? It isn't like Drexel Hill is extremely far from center city.

I'd ... hike it if it was in a reasonable distance, I'd hike an hour for it. haha!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    well.. how far are you from where she is again? It isn't like Drexel Hill is extremely far from center city.

I'd ... hike it if it was in a reasonable distance, I'd hike an hour for it. haha!
    In a blizzard, with snow falling at 1-3 inches an hour, carrying your camera gear? That's a good recipe for getting hurt or worse.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    moose135 wrote:
    In a blizzard, with snow falling at 1-3 inches an hour, carrying your camera gear? That's a good recipe for getting hurt or worse.

Probably! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Though I feel horrible for the bride I agree with Mack. We've had mild winters in the Philly area for the past several years but winter is winter. People in my area are actually taking the advice of newscasters and staying off the roads. Then again I think the majority of us are still just trying to shovel out a vehicle or two.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010

the wedding was in King of Prussia and yeah, from Drexel Hill to KoP on a good day is about 25 minutes. On a day like today, it would have taken me 3 hours because one of our main roads were shut down.
    moose135 wrote:
    funny you should say that. I almost got hurt walking out to my street from my driveway! and that's only 20 seconds away from each other.
    Betz wrote:
    Though I feel horrible for the bride I agree with Mack. We've had mild winters in the Philly area for the past several years but winter is winter. People in my area are actually taking the advice of newscasters and staying off the roads. Then again I think the majority of us are still just trying to shovel out a vehicle or two.
    Yeah. it does really suck. I was really looking forward to shooting in some snow today too. I saw her facebook page and someone tagged her in a few photos, she looked great, but one of her friends was there. I think only a total of 20 people ended up at the wedding.
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    Well this thread has been so interesting!! How wonderful the people are here. Kudos to everyone that chipped in. Must be a testimony to the love of photography for people to be so encouraging that they helped you do a 180 turn on this event. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Well this thread has been so interesting!! How wonderful the people are here. Kudos to everyone that chipped in. Must be a testimony to the love of photography for people to be so encouraging that they helped you do a 180 turn on this event. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Umm..?

I'm confused.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    Umm..?

I'm confused.

What I meant was the OP was quite discouraged about doing the shoot with the snow factor, the title tells you how he felt. After a few posts he then became quite excited about the challenge and the situation was turned to a positive. From negative to positive 180 degrees.
    Of course it doesn't apply to the storm, wedding party disaster, just his concern that if snow was involved he would have to shoot indoors, until others showed him how great shooting in the snow could be.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700