Options

Cross Country Road Trip, At Least Part of the U.S.A.

Momma8Momma8 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 6, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
I have been planning a major road trip for a long time. Ideally I would like to drive through every state (well, wouldn't be able to do AK or HI). But, don't think I can quite do that at one time, not at this point. I've split it up into 2 trips. If all goes well, I may actually be able to do part one this summer.
I'm looking at starting in Indiana & trying to hit all states west of a line of IN/KY/TN/MS/LA. I know that's a big area & a lot states. But, I have longed to see more to the west. It would be me, my 9 yr (who loves traveling), possibly a grand kid or 2, and my trusty right hand (that's what everyone refers to my Pentax k10 as - LOL).
As long as I have planned this, you would think I would have every detail planned and mapped out. But, every time I look at my plans, I mark something off or add something. I always travel on the cheap; i.e. rarely eat at restaurants opting to pick up cheap groceries instead, only stay at cheap mom & pop motels or camp;etc. I do have a pop up camper, but I'm thinking it may be cumbersome to pull in more rural, back road areas, so thinking about carrying the tent instead. I have no issue sleeping in the van when I can find a safe place to do that. I am looking at leaving open around a month or so to do this.
I'm open to suggestions on places to see & photograph. Of course we plan on going to the National Parks (the typical touristy places), hoping to get some great scenery shots. I also like photographing/seeing the weird roadside things, places that are reminders of the past (such as RT 66 remnants, etc), off the beaten path areas, and wildlife. Any suggestions of places I shouldn't miss?
Also, any certain areas that I should avoid or be extra careful around (woman traveling with just a child/children)?
I'm still rolling around when would be the best time for this. Not sure if June would be to early for the mountain areas.

Comments

• Options
    clikrf8clikrf8 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    out west
    Lots of places to see west of Indiana. The Internet is my best travel advisor and a DeLorme map of each state. I usually google images in a general area then check out the more interesting ones. For example, there are so many incredible places in Southern Utah (Laurent Martres 3 book series on Southwest Landscape landmark is indispensible) that you will wish you had 200 years to live. It is good that you are thinking of Route 66: lots of funky mom and pop motels. Traveling cheaply can be done. This past January I spent 5 days in St George Utah in a clean motel with microwave/fridge for $30 a night tax/AAA. And, a grocery store down the block. You will need to plan your trip carefully and try not to cram too much in. And, distances in the west may be longer than they appear with few services in between destinations. Go to state parks; they are less crowded, especially on weekdays. Or, to less visited national parks like Capitol Reef in Utah. June will be busy. Have a great time.