color calibration and brightness post adjustment

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited February 10, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Okay so I did HW calibration on my new monitor but I found the display to be bit dark. So I cranked up the screen brightnesss. This "should" be okay right?
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Technically, if you change the luminance, you're supposed to reprofile because you changed one of the variables on which the profile was based.

Also, watch out because if you turn up the screen too high, it will be so much brighter than paper that all your prints will seem dark because the screen brightness level will be unattainable by paper. LCDs are much brighter than CRTs were so dark prints are a big problem now.

For predictable prints, try to calibrate to around 100 cd/m2.
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    Technically, if you change the luminance, you're supposed to reprofile because you changed one of the variables on which the profile was based.

Also, watch out because if you turn up the screen too high, it will be so much brighter than paper that all your prints will seem dark because the screen brightness level will be unattainable by paper. LCDs are much brighter than CRTs were so dark prints are a big problem now.

For predictable prints, try to calibrate to around 100 cd/m2.

I'm calibrating my second Dell s2209w today - I also have one in another location - and am having a terrible time. I'm calibrating at gamma 2.2, 6500K, at 100, but my screen is still too bright, much brighter than the other two monitors I've used my Spyder Elite on.

It's driving me nuts, can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    sara505 wrote:
    I'm calibrating my second Dell s2209w today - I also have one in another location - and am having a terrible time. I'm calibrating at gamma 2.2, 6500K, at 100, but my screen is still too bright, much brighter than the other two monitors I've used my Spyder Elite on.

It's driving me nuts, can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    you're spyder elite can do a studiomatch. It will also sync the brightness thumb.gif
    edited February 10, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    you're spyder elite can do a studiomatch. It will also sync the brightness thumb.gif

Thanks, Ivar. I recall that these are options, will explore further, though I will not be at my other location for two weeks.

Meantime, will continue to play with settings. Gosh, what did we do with all our spare time in the days when we did not have all these gadgets in our lives?
    edited February 10, 2010
    Aargh
    I just came to the realization that I was sent the wrong monitor, which explains some of my problems.

When I ordered my new system last month, I specified that I wanted the exact same set-up as the system I bought last summer for my MV office - which included the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA - an IPS screen.

Since I am not on the island right now, and couldn't compare them side by side, I did not realize that what they had sent, the s2209w, was not the same as my original...

Until I started trying to work with it....oy vay.

The s2209w turns out to be a TN panel.

I have been on the phone with Dell for some time now.

This experience underscores the fact that most computer salespeople know nothing about monitors or photography or the difference between IPS and TN screens. It was my research that uncovered the problem, as I walked the technician through the situation.

P.I.M.A.