Need assist selecting PC RAM upgrade

RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
edited February 10, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
My computer is a Dell XPS400, 3 1/2 years old, near top-of-the-line when bought, plus upgraded graphics card and second gig of RAM. I use it primarily for Photoshop, Excel and Word. I'll replace in 6 months to a year, retiring existing box to basement secondary office. Dell's hardware warranty's good another 6 months, software svc for 10 months (can then continue software svc for only 110/yr, which is likely). With all this in mind, I'd now like to do what I should have done years ago, increase RAM from 2x1G to 4x1G. Dell wants $80 plus shipping /tax, totalling $93, New Egg wants about $54 all in. My problem is that I don't know how to evaluate the specs. Dell tells me the correct RAM is "DDR2 SDRAM", beyond that I know nothing. New Egg's product is: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA667. I've installed RAM before, no fear of that, but once past the "Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) " part, the rest to me is gibberish. I know we're talking only about $40 here, but my antenna's up and I'm feeling the challenge. So, what about New Egg and Crucial as brand names? And what about all the remaining New Egg spec, is it specifically what I want? Other suggested sources? Or should I just give in and spend the little bit extra, knowing I'm getting something Dell will back-up? Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    If you have 4 slots for memory and you've got 2 already filled - you probably have dual channel memory installed. Either way you'll want to make sure that you get the exact same speed of RAM to go in the other two slots.

Crucial is a good brand, but even if you don't buy it from them that's the place you want to go to find out what you need.

Go to crucial.com and install their system scanner. It will run and tell you what kind of memory that you have. The "DDR2 667" part or the "PC2 5300" part is what matters. Once you find out what you've got in there now you'll know what to search for. Yes, it does matter what speed you get. If your computer needs PC2 5300 you can't get PC2 4200.*

* though, to muddy the waters a bit, you normally can get PC2 6400 and it will clock down to 5300 speed. Still, it's just easier to get exactly what you have now.
  • RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Pupator wrote:
    If you have 4 slots for memory and you've got 2 already filled - you probably have dual channel memory installed. Either way you'll want to make sure that you get the exact same speed of RAM to go in the other two slots.

Crucial is a good brand, but even if you don't buy it from them that's the place you want to go to find out what you need.

Go to crucial.com and install their system scanner. It will run and tell you what kind of memory that you have. The "DDR2 667" part or the "PC2 5300" part is what matters. Once you find out what you've got in there now you'll know what to search for. Yes, it does matter what speed you get. If your computer needs PC2 5300 you can't get PC2 4200.*

* though, to muddy the waters a bit, you normally can get PC2 6400 and it will clock down to 5300 speed. Still, it's just easier to get exactly what you have now.
    Great assist! As so often is the case, it's the learning and the chase, as much s the actual buy, the caveman-hunt instinct in all of us . For all I know, Dell is using Crucial, or some similar brand anyway. I'll go to Crucial site and let their system do the spec'ing, then conclude from there. Again, thanks, for taking the time, and for hanging around here at dgrin.
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    I took a quick look at the crucial site and then took a look at Newegg.com for you.

I'd highly recommend going with something like this or even this exact stuff. I'm recommending a brand called G.Skill, I have used them very successfully in 6 builds over the past 2 years. I have not had any problems at all and have been very very happy with them. I have their ddr2 ram in 4 builds which were based around LGA775 processors ranging from a Pentium e5200 all the way up to a Core 2 Quad q9550. I have also used their ddr3 ram in two Core iX builds, one an i5 750 and the other an i7 920. You should check G.Skill out, if you haven't figured it out already, I highly recommend if not swear by them.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
    edited February 6, 2010
    Kyle D wrote:
    I took a quick look at the crucial site and then took a look at Newegg.com for you.

I'd highly recommend going with something like this or even this exact stuff. I'm recommending a brand called G.Skill, I have used them very successfully in 6 builds over the past 2 years. I have not had any problems at all and have been very very happy with them. I have their ddr2 ram in 4 builds which were based around LGA775 processors ranging from a Pentium e5200 all the way up to a Core 2 Quad q9550. I have also used their ddr3 ram in two Core iX builds, one an i5 750 and the other an i7 920. You should check G.Skill out, if you haven't figured it out already, I highly recommend if not swear by them.
    Many thanks, and I get the point. Good to have a brand singled out among all the others.
    edited February 6, 2010
    Kyle D wrote:

Give a hand, I grab an arm, sorry. Ran Crucial scan, and points out that RAM more efficient when installed in matching pairs, which I already knew, but that 32 bit Windows recognized only 3-3.5 gigs total, not 4. So, what are we talking here, go with 4x1g for greatest efficiency, or 3x1g because fourth card isn't used anyway. As reminder, 2x1g is what's in machine now.

Again thanks for taking the time.
    edited February 6, 2010
    Give a hand, I grab an arm, sorry. Ran Crucial scan, and points out that RAM more efficient when installed in matching pairs, which I already knew, but that 32 bit Windows recognized only 3-3.5 gigs total, not 4. So, what are we talking here, go with 4x1g for greatest efficiency, or 3x1g because fourth card isn't used anyway. As reminder, 2x1g is what's in machine now.

Again thanks for taking the time.

Go with the 4x1GB. It'll run better than 3GB of unmatched would for not much more money. Also, if you upgraded in the (near) future to a 64-bit OS (which I highly recommend) you'll get to use all 4GB.
    edited February 8, 2010
    Pupator wrote:
    Go with the 4x1GB. It'll run better than 3GB of unmatched would for not much more money. Also, if you upgraded in the (near) future to a 64-bit OS (which I highly recommend) you'll get to use all 4GB.
    Again, many thanks. BTW (here I go grabbing an arm again), do I concern myself with all the words and numbers on existing 2x1g cards, or just assume that new matched pair, if appropriate for my machine, will match-up with existing pair in all necessary ways? In the end, do all four "exactly" match, or just each pair, all four matching in some more general way to my machine?
    edited February 8, 2010
    Again, many thanks. BTW (here I go grabbing an arm again), do I concern myself with all the words and numbers on existing 2x1g cards, or just assume that new matched pair, if appropriate for my machine, will match-up with existing pair in all necessary ways? In the end, do all four "exactly" match, or just each pair, all four matching in some more general way to my machine?

It's helpful, but not necessary, that all four have the same speed. If you get newer modules that are faster than your existing two they will clock down, though this isn't the most desirable scenario.

Each pair need to exactly match.
    edited February 9, 2010
    Pupator wrote:
    It's helpful, but not necessary, that all four have the same speed. If you get newer modules that are faster than your existing two they will clock down, though this isn't the most desirable scenario.

Each pair need to exactly match.
    Got it. Thought I was ready to rock and roll, but whoa, looked into the tower, and see that the existing matched pair are mounted one in the upper two slots, one in the lower two slots. In other words, counting from top down 1-4, existing cards are in slots 1 and 3. Do I put new cards in slots 2 and 4, or reposition the original card from slot 3 to slot 2, and then insert the new matched pair into slots 3 and 4? Or does it matter? May sound like a dumb question, but that's what I see, original matched pair are in slots 1 and 3, slot 2 is open between.

BTW, a couple RAM supply sites told me my 3 1/2 year old original matched pair probably are slower speed than what they could supply now, that 3 1/2 years advance in technology inevitably will do that. Their suggestion was to buy what their line designates as normal for the Dell XPS400 and it'll clock down with no appreciable loss (and apparently no appreciable dollar loss, 2-card kits are only about $50). You mentioned the clocking down, does their take on that seem reasonable? Sounds reasonable ...

Always a new mountain to be climbed, right? Again, thanks.
    edited February 9, 2010
    You'll want to put the new matched pair of sticks, one in slot 2 and the other in slot 4.
    Kyle D.

edited February 9, 2010
    Kyle D wrote:
    You'll want to put the new matched pair of sticks, one in slot 2 and the other in slot 4.

nod.gif
    edited February 9, 2010
    BTW, a couple RAM supply sites told me my 3 1/2 year old original matched pair probably are slower speed than what they could supply now, that 3 1/2 years advance in technology inevitably will do that. Their suggestion was to buy what their line designates as normal for the Dell XPS400 and it'll clock down with no appreciable loss (and apparently no appreciable dollar loss, 2-card kits are only about $50). You mentioned the clocking down, does their take on that seem reasonable? Sounds reasonable ...

Always a new mountain to be climbed, right? Again, thanks.

Yep. Faster speeds will clock down within the specific "families" of RAM. You'll be fine going with that kit.
    edited February 9, 2010
    Thanks, on my way ...
    Bingo! Thanks to both you, Pupator, and Kyle, and you other dgrinners who have gotten me through this, I'm on my way.
    edited February 9, 2010
    If you need instructions on how to install the memory, you can find them here for the XPS 400. Just click on Memory and then scroll down a bit. If you've never installed ram before it may seem a little daunting but in actuality it's just popping the chips into the slots!
    Kyle D.

edited February 10, 2010
    Kyle D wrote:
    If you need instructions on how to install the memory, you can find them here for the XPS 400. Just click on Memory and then scroll down a bit. If you've never installed ram before it may seem a little daunting but in actuality it's just popping the chips into the slots!
    Again, many thanks. Instructions say to get latest XPS400 BIOS version, but considering all the time Dell has spent on my box these past two months, I'm going to assume I have that. I have installed RAM cards on earlier computers, so installing will be no problem. When done, will be interesting to see if I notice a difference. It's such inexpensive upgrade (less than an evening's dinner/drink at local restaurant), will hardly matter. Thanks again ...
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    You can get the BIOS version by either (1) watching the Power-On-Self-Test (POST) very carefully (this appears just as you power on the computer) or (2) pressing F2 or F8 or F10 (if varies from one motherboard to the next) after you power on the computer but before the operating system starts to load to access the BIOS. The main page of the BIOS will show you your BIOS version.

Once you have that, you should be able to go to the DELL website to determine the latest version they have published. If it's different, you may want to consider updating your BIOS.

BUT - you need to know that you can easily turn your computer into an expensive doorstop if the BIOS upgrade fails for some/any reason. So, you should probably attempt the memory install and then boot up the computer. If it boots and all is good, take a pass on the BIOS upgrade. However, if it isn't all peaches and cream, a BIOS update might be in your future.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    BUT

That's a big but! rolleyes1.gif

I agree completely with Scott.
    edited February 10, 2010
    You can get the BIOS version by either (1) watching the Power-On-Self-Test (POST) very carefully (this appears just as you power on the computer) or (2) pressing F2 or F8 or F10 (if varies from one motherboard to the next) after you power on the computer but before the operating system starts to load to access the BIOS. The main page of the BIOS will show you your BIOS version.

Once you have that, you should be able to go to the DELL website to determine the latest version they have published. If it's different, you may want to consider updating your BIOS.

BUT - you need to know that you can easily turn your computer into an expensive doorstop if the BIOS upgrade fails for some/any reason. So, you should probably attempt the memory install and then boot up the computer. If it boots and all is good, take a pass on the BIOS upgrade. However, if it isn't all peaches and cream, a BIOS update might be in your future.
    Thanks to you Scott, and Ric, I was already moving on your first para before reading the second. I keep a very close eye ...