A question for all the new born photographers.

JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited March 4, 2010 in People
I see alot of amazing newborn pictures with cute outfits, hats, or just unique ways of posing the babies whether its in a pot, basket, etc etc... My question is do you "new born" photographers have your own cute hats, blankets and stuff that you use... Or do you only use what the parents have on hand?

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Some photographers have their own set of props. If you look at my Aalayah shots, the basket and rug inside is mine, and the sweater "pod" is a neck warmer I found in the accessory section of Target. In other words, I am beginning to accumulate some stuff.

In the past, I would always rely on parents to have baskets or bowls for me to use, and cute outfits or hats. It usually works out well, but I love having a back up plan.

Caroline
  • DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    I do a little bit of both. For the most part, I have props, hats, blankets that I keep around. Gathering quite a collection lol I also have a lot of parent friends with little ones and once their little ones grow out of things, they ask me if I want them.

Sometimes I have parents that want to use a certain blanket because grandma made it or what not and I'm happy to do so.

So I guess I could say that it's a mixture of both.
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    I have 3 boys of my own ages 9, 6, and 3 I keep and kept alot of their things that I use however with 3 boys that means I have no girly things so for that I have been making trips to the local thrift store here in my town. I have bought some really cute hats, blankets, bonnets etc. for like $.25 I just wash it really good and save it for photo shoots
    Court
    Courtney
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    I am working on my own prop stash. You can't count on parents to have what might work.

I found a great place to shop for hats etc online called Etsy. There are many many women out there that do nothing but think of cute stuff to make to photograph babies in!

And someone just gave me a doll bed to play with!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    I'm not a newborn photographer (yet) but if/when I do start up taking newborn pictures, I will DEFINATELY use my own props. I adore props and have already accumulated a nice stash. I use my baby as a newborn prop model, lol! He is an awesome sleeper and I can try out many new props, poses and angles on him. I agree with vacaymom that etsy is the way to go. It is expensive perhaps, but the photos are so rich with the luxury props!

Here is a link to many of my baby photo props...
    http://www.fluidr.com/photos/freezethemomentphotography

thumb.gif
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    Luck!!! Really!!!

My in-law's are HUGE garage-salers and they have a literal list of props to keep an eye out for when they find something. They won't spend much, but it only really needs to look great :) ... well, and be clean enough for a newborn...

We shop a lot in thrift stores, one of my favorite baby baskets was about $2, while the wicker is coming un-done on one side, we just use the other side as the "front".

Hobby Lobby/Michael's has baskets GALORE, often Hobby Lobby has a half off sale, I get a lot of my stuff then.

I do bring blankets from home (some of my ultra soft and squishy ones that I snuggle with) especially a neutral color, like brown or khaki.

I won't say where I found it, but a wooden bowl/basket was acquired at a re-sale store for next to nothing that produces BEAUTIFUL results.

As far as my trademark hat is concerned (look up Miss Hannah's 8 day old shoot from about 2 weeks ago) it had a logo on the front, BUT was only $6, so I just put it on her backwards. It swallowed her but that's what made it so cute.

Shop around, really, just ALWAYS be on the look out, you find stuff in the weirdest places.

And as posted earlier, Etsy is WONDERFUL!!! (or, unless you have a really crafty friend that's getting married soon, you trade shooting her wedding for hand made/custom made hats, wraps and blankets :)

Keep an eye out for "bargain" stores, TJ Maxx/Ross/Marshall's stuff like that, they're almost always practically giving it all away. Antique stores/ estate sales are a good start as well.

As far as the *posing* goes... that's just practice and getting them REALLY sleepy so they'll let you do just about anything, that's just patience, really.

Best of all, don't be afraid to try anything new!!! My next baby purchase is going to be a flower pot or one of the big teacup/plate sets... I get the WEIRDEST look when I buy something and the cashier asks "What are you going to do with this?" and I say "Put a baby in it" with the straightest face possible. I have tons of props that we can't figure out the original use for, we only use them for babies.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Prop stash...same here...picked up some hats the other day from WalMart on the way to a shoot...the mom loved them. Get'em while they're available. Winter stuff goes away very early on.

You can't, and shouldn't, count on the client to have much of anything...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    I have a prop addiction. Blankets, hats, diaper covers... eesh. Suitcases, chairs, bowls, wraps... I could go on! hah

I usually pick things up at places like TJ maxx or walmart.
  • photolovephotolove Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2010
    I do a combination of both, but always bring enough things with me to have a variety of pictures. Lots of times mom and dad are just to tired to go hunting for things for their session!
  • Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Lots of items in the stash...
    I have a pretty good stash of props that I have accumulated...and it seems that I keep getting stuff donated to the studio by clients that have something cute that they think would be a good addition. I hit the stores once a month or so, making a loop through all of the thrift stores and antique stores.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• EOS_JDEOS_JD Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I do keep meaning to buy some :) But sometimes nothing but a nappy works!

Untitled-11.jpg