Where the streams have no name

JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
edited February 17, 2010 in Landscapes
Thought I'd share a couple of pictures from this morning.
I followed this little stream, till it dwindled somewhere under the thick Michigan frost.
This forum rocks BTW.:barb thanks for looking!
782196784_ArLVA-L.jpg

782196193_n63Av-L.jpg

782195695_tYujg-L.jpg
Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler

Comments

• DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    very nice! Love the first one the most
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    Great set.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    These are so appealing. The first one especially. Then again, I'm a sucker for forest streams and downed trees.
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    Thanks, I enjoy finding "mini- landscapes" in my backyard
    - and fallen trees do exude a quiet power; I found this one trying to break through the ice this morning:

782875480_PpEBS-L.jpg
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
  • DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    I'm such a sucker for sun flares so 2 & 3 are great! They all came out beautiful though.

Great set.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    I love the title! I expected to see the old Vegas Strip hidden somewhere here lol3.gif

Looks like a gorgeous place, and wow I think my favorite is actually the log breaking through the ice thumb.gif
  • TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    the colors and textures of the first shot are awesome. like the subtle, reflected soft light on the underside of the fallen tree, too.
  • OldGuyOldGuy Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    Joashots wrote:
    Thanks, I enjoy finding "mini- landscapes" in my backyard
    - and fallen trees do exude a quiet power; I found this one trying to break through the ice this morning:

782875480_PpEBS-L.jpg
    Nice shots!thumb.gif This is my fave mwink.gif
    I am a nut on tight crops so I would eliminate a good bit at the top, but that's just my thing...

Where in West Michigan?
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Great light and composition on the first three. The last one of the fallen log with the ice I also think it might benefit from a tighter crop. You would focus more on the detail in the ice and tree.
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Thank you for the comments. I initially did not include that last picture, because I too wasn't particularly happy with the aesthetics/balance- I guess there were lots of features in that scene that caught my imagination, and I wanted to capture all of it.
    1. The light to dark transition (tweaked with a polarizer)
    2. The submerged log
    3. The patterns on the cracked ice
    4. The texture of the thawing ice on the water's surface
    Interesting subject nonetheless.
    Joash R

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    The patterns of the cracked ice is amazing. At first I didn't know what I was looking at...almost looked like spilt milk. :Dthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com