Options

Listing Prices on Your Website

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited February 13, 2010 in Weddings
I am going to be raising my prices significantly in the next couple weeks after talking to a few local wedding photographers, so I have a question about pricing.

I have noticed that the majority of top photographers do not have prices listed on their website. They may have where their packages start, but never go into detail about prices for each package. A few of them have all their packages listed, but without prices.

So, my question... Do you have your prices listed on your website or not? Why or why not? I would like to hear the advantages and disadvantages of each side. Here is a link to my website...

www.photographybydawson.com

If everyone could post a link to their website also, that would be great. I would like to get a feel for how everyone is presenting their packages.

Thanks!

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    Hi. I'm not a wedding photographer (although I have done a couple) but for my other portraiture services I do not list my packages and prices. I'd much rather meet with a client and show them my work first - and then talk about what's available. Sometimes I have "special" packages for specific events - but that's a different story altogether.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    One method described to me which makes good sense is to leave the prices off so that the person will contact you. Many people will just load up your page to check your prices, and then move along looking for others to compare prices with, rather than contacting you. The photographer at my own wedding says he leaves his prices off to get people to e-mail or call him so he can set up a meeting in person, and that personal contact is what will make the sale. He gears everything toward getting face to face contact with the customer before he gives them the price, so he can make the sale happen.

It seems like good business sense to me, so that's what I'm doing too. :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    brettalisonbrettalison Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2010
    Personally, I do list all my package prices on my website. I look at it from the client's point of view - yes, I want to get the best photographer - but he/she must be in my price range. It doesn't matter how great he/she is in person if the package I want is two thousand dollars more than I can afford. Also, I definitely would not wait to meet in person to show people the prices. Waiting until they email you would probably be a good way to go, but you might lose people if they have to wait to meet you to find out specifics. Also, many photographers state what their prices start at, but they also usually say, "most couples invest XX amount of dollars" (since that's usually not the same as the starting price point).
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    No prices listed...ever. Visit my website, get to know me through my work and immediately you can decide if my style is right for you. Price will always be based on what you want to achieve. Locations for bridals and engagements, length of stay during wedding day, products delievered (DVD and/or digital album, slideshow, enlargements, etc) ....it all adds up...or deosn't for that matter. Prices will always be determined by my clients. I have limits on what I ask for each, so it's predictable on my end. I want the client to feel like their input is valuable to them and the money they are putting on the line is attached to very specific requests, instead of having them realize they have to be forced to choose from cookie-cutter packages. Has seemed to work smoothly thus far and "if it aint broke...".
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    coldclimb wrote:
    One method described to me which makes good sense is to leave the prices off so that the person will contact you. Many people will just load up your page to check your prices, and then move along looking for others to compare prices with, rather than contacting you. The photographer at my own wedding says he leaves his prices off to get people to e-mail or call him so he can set up a meeting in person, and that personal contact is what will make the sale. He gears everything toward getting face to face contact with the customer before he gives them the price, so he can make the sale happen.

It seems like good business sense to me, so that's what I'm doing too. :D

This works both ways...for just as many who would take the time to contact about pricing, there are 3 times as many who will say, "screw it" and go on to another site.

This whole "I'm an artist" mentality misses the mark when marketing to the common public. You are providing a service and a product. Your clients have a right to know up front some ball park pricing and package configurations.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    This works both ways...for just as many who would take the time to contact about pricing, there are 3 times as many who will say, "screw it" and go on to another site.

This whole "I'm an artist" mentality misses the mark when marketing to the common public. You are providing a service and a product. Your clients have a right to know up front some ball park pricing and package configurations.
    I agree with this. Even if it states "packages starting at X", at least a potential client knows they will at least pay a X amount for a session.

I know Walmart is a BAD example, but you don't walk in there and not see any prices. Yes, it's different ends of the prism but at least with listing starting prices, clients will either say "okay, that's a start" or they will go to Walmart because that's what they're looking for lol
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    If you put no prices more people call.

I think putting where you start is the best way, then people disqualify themselves price wise and you still have the ability to upsell.

I sell three packages, and list everything. When people call me they are basically already booked...we pretty much book everybody that calls unless the day is already full.
  • Options
    DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    If you put no prices more people call.

I think putting where you start is the best way, then people disqualify themselves price wise and you still have the ability to upsell.

I sell three packages, and list everything. When people call me they are basically already booked...we pretty much book everybody that calls unless the day is already full.
    I actually have to disagree with the bolded part. Being in the "world of technology", if there are no prices, most people will move on. With the internet these days, people want the convenience of knowing what they are going to pay before they pick up the phone.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Glort wrote:
    Giving an indication of price lets the potential client that likes your work know that it is within their budget. From there they will call ( which is the whole object of the exercise) where you can build a rapport with them and sell them on the things that really matter from there. from there.

In total agreement with this....I've created some consistency within the offered packages but reiterate with clients that those items are standard offerings for each...such as a 2nd photographer. Each package has 2 shooters from the lowest to the highest priced.

Another reiteration to the client is that these are all base packages and may be modified six ways till Sunday to suit their needs. Some don't want an e-shoot...some don't want a book...some want it all...be flexible but most important, be profitable.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    Another reiteration to the client is that these are all base packages and may be modified six ways till Sunday to suit their needs. Some don't want an e-shoot...some don't want a book...some want it all...be flexible but most important, be profitable.

Totally agree. I put a base price so that people don't waste their time or mine contacting me when I'm way out of their price range. But I also don't put everything out there because it's a lot of info, and I'd like to describe the options in person. In the end, I also try to be as flexible as I can with the packages.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    DigitalMom wrote:
    Being in the "world of technology", if there are no prices, most people will move on. With the internet these days, people want the convenience of knowing what they are going to pay before they pick up the phone.

Amen, sister!

It is actually pretty frustrating for me when I'm trying to get a feel for things and prices aren't listed. Example: We're having a surprise party for my Mom's 60th this summer and I'm on invitation duty. I love letterpress and think it would be great to get letterpress invitations, but very very very few press shops will list their prices so I pretty much have no idea how much I might potentially have to spend or whether it'll just be too expensive and I should rule it out now... etc., etc.

It's a field like ours where there are a lot of other things involved besides just having the tools to do the job, so there are multiple factors at work and the exact price is hard to determine, but give me a range at least, some idea of what I could potentially be looking at would be really helpful.

So I wouldn't be surprised if people look at photography the same way. But, that's just me and we're all beautiful individual snowflakes...
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Coming only from the perspective of a mom that has married off both of our daughters, I don't like it when there is no price listed at all. Not only does the imagination go wild but I often feel on many marketing issues that if the price is NOT listed , it is because it must be so high that the seller feels the need to get the customer on a hook before it will be revealed. That they fear it is so high no one would buy the service/product without a little arm twisting. It also insults my intelligence, and wastes time, and is just plain annoying to me ! JMHO
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    DigitalMom wrote:
    I agree with this. Even if it states "packages starting at X", at least a potential client knows they will at least pay a X amount for a session.

I know Walmart is a BAD example, but you don't walk in there and not see any prices. Yes, it's different ends of the prism but at least with listing starting prices, clients will either say "okay, that's a start" or they will go to Walmart because that's what they're looking for lol

That's exactly what I think is the best idea. Giving the client where the packages start gives them an idea of the photographer. Thanks for the comment!

Glort wrote:
    FINALLY!!

I was beginning to think everyone here was completely obsessed with this " I'm an artist, it's my work, I'm worth 10 times what the market will actually pay" Crap.
    It's nice to know there is at least one person that understands the real world !

I don't put package prices because I don't have any.
    I make my prices up as I go along for each and every individual client.

That said, I think it is crucial that you give some indication of your price RANGE. " Wedding coverages starting from $xxx for a basic two hour coverage to $xxxx for the works."

If your in the middle to lower market, If people don't see a number, the automatic assumption is that you are too expensive and the majority will move onto the next place till they see a number to their liking.
    If your high end, these clients tend to be better educated and realise price is not the first consideration and will go more on what they like knowing they have a better scope in what they can afford.

I don't believe in itemized packages or even set packages at all really It just gives clients to compare you to other shooters based on numbers and size rather than your talent and personality.

I haven't had a price list in over 10 years and I certainly book more jobs more easily with the on the fly approach than with the prepackaged arrangement most people use. When I did have set packages, People always wanted to modify them so that brings me right back to what I do now, Make them up as I go along! :D

Giving an indication of price lets the potential client that likes your work know that it is within their budget. From there they will call ( which is the whole object of the exercise) where you can build a rapport with them and sell them on the things that really matter from there. from there.

I just changed my website to have no prices, but tell where my packages start. So... I have a question. If you don't have any set packages, when you meet with a client, do you have ball park figures in your head that you know you will quote them. Maybe some rate per hour that you have come up with? If not, how do you price each wedding different?

VayCayMom wrote:
    Coming only from the perspective of a mom that has married off both of our daughters, I don't like it when there is no price listed at all. Not only does the imagination go wild but I often feel on many marketing issues that if the price is NOT listed , it is because it must be so high that the seller feels the need to get the customer on a hook before it will be revealed. That they fear it is so high no one would buy the service/product without a little arm twisting. It also insults my intelligence, and wastes time, and is just plain annoying to me ! JMHO

I'm actually getting married in July and I've been looking for a photographer for my wedding and I have felt the same way. I found it quite annoying when photographers didn't even have a starting price for their packages. Thanks for your comment!

So... Here is what I think I'm going to do:

All my wedding collections are pretty simple; they all include (x) amount of hours, an online viewing gallery, and a DVD of high res photos with the rights to the photos. From there, the client can chose to get albums, parent albums, canvas prints, engagement shoots, ect. Does this sound reasonable to everyone?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    I guess I go about this differently than most. I technically have 3 packages but they are all basically the same with a few features added. I only do full day because the chance of being able to competently juggle more than 1 event in a day is slim and since I don't hire out other photogs as primary's it isn't best in the clients interest. I find that when I am firm on full day I get people interested in longer formal session, before shots and whatnot. In the end they are happier I believe.

My basic package is me shooting for a full day, basic and creative editing, a DVD and some prints. The next packages include a 2nd shooter and then a 2nd shooter and a basic album. the increments are slightly less than my ala cart pricing which is also posted in my pricing. Sometime I get people requesting things off menu and those are priced as I see fit and if a popular thing then they get added to the menu.

My premis for giving literally all of my pricing on my website is twofold. Before I listed pricing I did get more calls and emails but 90% of them were wishy washy unqualified people and very rarely turned into meetings. now I get less calls and emails but most everyone meets with me and to date, of all the meeting I have had with potential clients, all but 1 have signed, and most signed right on the spot. Now this doesn't amount to 100's of meetings yet but it makes me believe that I am doing something right. Before we meet, people have seen my work and my full pricing so it is down to an interview of me. As long as I show myself as reliable and we get along personality wise they sign. Their decesion is usually made before we even meet pending I'm not an idiot!

The other reason is that I enforce the fact that I don't have any extras or surprise upcharges. Full disclosure from start to finish is one of my sales pitches and a way to create doubt in the minds of potential clients about the other photographers that "price per situation" or give just a base and no other information. This in my mind, and I believe in the minds of any savy consumer means that the final price will be much higher than what is listed or implied. In most cases, I think brides would prefer to not take the time to meet with 5 or 10 photographers to find out what it will cost. Most of my clients have only met with 1 or two and many never even met with the ones on their list after talking with me.

now after this season, I may revisit some of this but for now I believe this is the best way to get meetings with well qualified customers and those are the meetings I want. the ones looking for a bargain photographer don't usually even bother contacting me and that is the way I like it.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    I guess I go about this differently than most. I technically have 3 packages but they are all basically the same with a few features added. I only do full day because the chance of being able to competently juggle more than 1 event in a day is slim and since I don't hire out other photogs as primary's it isn't best in the clients interest. I find that when I am firm on full day I get people interested in longer formal session, before shots and whatnot. In the end they are happier I believe.

My basic package is me shooting for a full day, basic and creative editing, a DVD and some prints. The next packages include a 2nd shooter and then a 2nd shooter and a basic album. the increments are slightly less than my ala cart pricing which is also posted in my pricing. Sometime I get people requesting things off menu and those are priced as I see fit and if a popular thing then they get added to the menu.

My premis for giving literally all of my pricing on my website is twofold. Before I listed pricing I did get more calls and emails but 90% of them were wishy washy unqualified people and very rarely turned into meetings. now I get less calls and emails but most everyone meets with me and to date, of all the meeting I have had with potential clients, all but 1 have signed, and most signed right on the spot. Now this doesn't amount to 100's of meetings yet but it makes me believe that I am doing something right. Before we meet, people have seen my work and my full pricing so it is down to an interview of me. As long as I show myself as reliable and we get along personality wise they sign. Their decesion is usually made before we even meet pending I'm not an idiot!

The other reason is that I enforce the fact that I don't have any extras or surprise upcharges. Full disclosure from start to finish is one of my sales pitches and a way to create doubt in the minds of potential clients about the other photographers that "price per situation" or give just a base and no other information. This in my mind, and I believe in the minds of any savy consumer means that the final price will be much higher than what is listed or implied. In most cases, I think brides would prefer to not take the time to meet with 5 or 10 photographers to find out what it will cost. Most of my clients have only met with 1 or two and many never even met with the ones on their list after talking with me.

now after this season, I may revisit some of this but for now I believe this is the best way to get meetings with well qualified customers and those are the meetings I want. the ones looking for a bargain photographer don't usually even bother contacting me and that is the way I like it.

Matt

Ditto.
    I think that having set packages or at least a published price list that you are able to provide after an inquiry is very important. I would be weary of any service that didn't have a set price list. It would make we wonder if I was someone different, would I have been quoted a different price. eek7.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:

:D Very nice and funny too~~

Value...when they look at your site, prices, etc..do they see value?

OP: Also, prob right about top photogs not listing prices...but then, they are at the top and folks are not visiting their website to dicker over price. The rest of us, are being scrutinized. And the rest of us have something for sale.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    At least a Starting Price .............
    I have not come close to finishing my site but it will have starting prices and I am going to add readable copies of my contracts (in jpg format since SM does not allow PDF format, as far as I know) ....... In these economic times I will also be offering payment plans....lay away if you will.....or zero % financing .......as long as what ever service is offered is paid for: 30 days in advance for portraits and 60 days in advance for weddings and commericial shooting........I am going to do this because I know there are a lot of small time manufacturers or inventors and crafts people that need a shot for a catalog or flyer and cannot afford to drop $200 per hour (and that is on the extremely low side for commericial shooting here) and will settle for a cell phone image becuse of the staunchness of 99.9% of the local photogs.......I was very poor at one time and I know what it is like being there and I will work with the poorest to get them portraits, wedding Memories or a commericial shoot for a good price.....I do not work for Wal-mart or Sears photog prices......so I think it is essential to at least post a starting price and also what you are willing to do for people.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Just wanted to add, this is a great thread for anyone who has pondered this issue much, as I have. :D I may have to reconsider my strategy based on solid points made here... Thanks everyone!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Glort wrote:
    I think this is a great idea and may work well for you. I would suggest promoting it somewhat because it will help separate you from your competition and may be the key factor in getting a good amount of work.

I admire your flexibility and creative thinking combined with standing your ground price wise and offering a way to be affordable without giving away the farm as so many others do in an attempt to make up for their shortfall and basically ignorance in marketing themselves.

This is a far more competitive and sustainable way to compete for business.
    By maintaining your prices, you will also convey your professionalism to your clients and avoid the always endless problems that come from playing in the shallow end of the market.

I sincerely hope this works well for you and wish you all the best with it.

Art's idea is brilliant and I agree with your comments 100% - a great differentiation tool.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    JAMooreJAMoore Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:

Matt

Matt, I have to agree with most of this. Even though I don't have full pricing listed on my site, only a starting price, the general idea of not wasting people's time is key here.

In my case, I actually got more calls when I removed all the detailed pricing (admittedly, it was probably too detailed) and went to just showing my starting point. At this point so far this year, 100% of the clients I have met with in person have booked with us. Of the clients we have at least spoken too on the phone, we have not been turned down by any.
    Many of the clients we have met with have not met with anyone else and immediately booked with us. Some of them have had meetings with others and have booked with us later that day.

As others have mentioned, as a consumer, I cannot stand not even knowing a ballpark price for a product or service. If a client requests my prices, I am always happy to send them my pricing guide, but always encourage a face-to-face meeting.

The only "on the fly" pricing has been for services that were out of the ordinary. Personally, I would never do this type of pricing merely for the fact that we have many people who refer others to us (and all of them have booked). If they talk pricing with each other (I know they do) I do not want to come off as inconsistent or seem like I'm trying to take advantage. Of course I understand that everyone is different and some people are going to be a bit more of a headache than others, but I think they are all entitled to the same pricing. This is also one of the reasons I don't haggle.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    Glort wrote:
    Basically I know what I want to make an hour as a minimum but there is a lot more in a job to me than just straight hours. Dealing with some clients is harder than others and so are some jobs irrespective of the time they actualy require. By the same token, I'm going to charge more per hour for a 2 hour park wedding than a full blown grooms house to night shots in the hotel job.

I know just by talking to the client and finding out where they live, where the service and reception are and what they are doing as far as transport, dresses etc as to whether I'm in their ball park or not. If I'm not sure, I will do a rough quote on the phone and confirm with them ( more than once) that this is within their budget of what they are looking for.
    Sometimes I'll ask them what they are looking to spend and if they come up with a number higher than what I thought of, I have no problem in using their number not mine! :D

I know what my costs for albums and prints are and apart from things like that, its just my time and effort. I know what that is worth as well as my frustration factor and the last one is what can make a job real exy! :D

I take everything into account when giving quotes and because I have asked all the questions During the interview, I not only have the best idea of what they want, what they can afford and what they are doing on the day, but I also have a good idea of what it's worth to me time wise and financially.

I then basically make up a package on the spot and write it on a piece of paper with the price and explain it to them as to what they will get etc and give it to take with them and my card.

I LOVE this on the fly method because it allows me to charge the maximum I think they will pay and conversely, If I have seen a red flag go up during the interview, I add a thousand dollars or so to either blow myself out of the ballpark or make the effort of the job well worth my while so I have nothing to complain about.

I may well quote one client a different price to another for the same number of hours, prints, album and definable things thing but after 20+ years in the business, I know no two weddings are ever the same nor is the amount of work involved.

Now I realize beyond shadow of a doubt that this system is not for everyone, very few people in fact.
    It requires a good knowledge of your area and the other providers in it, one has to have the sales skills to keep the focus on things other than price which far to many shooters think the game is all about and one needs to be able to build a rapport with the client and understand what they really want even when they are telling you something completely different.

Some shooters whom are less experienced in business, have moralistic hangups, are price focused, or just basically have a predominantly buyer rather than business mentality may take exception and offense to the way I do things to which I say, tough. We are all free to do as we like and what suits our own preferences.

The feedback I get from my clients is great and I have been told soooo many times that they are more than happy to pay for what they want, but they don't like being made to pay for things they don't.
    Making up coverages on the fly also completely removes you from the price list mentality where people go from one shooter to the next trying to see who gives the most for the least.
    These clients rarely turn out to be either good spenders or easy to deal with.

I set my first meeting today with my new price structure and I tried this on the fly method. I simply asked quite a few questions, asked their budget for a photographer, ect. and then priced them from there. I had a set price for different hours in my head, but then adding on albums to get to their budget. It seemed to work pretty well. I think I will have a few base packages, but they are all pretty customizable which is the best marketing strategy for me now.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    Glort wrote:
    Well Done.

I did pretty much the same thing when I started quoting this way. Just kept the packages I had in my head and used then as a base to add or subtract from as the individual job required.
    The difference is to the client they only see a coverage which perfectly matches what they want and there is no crossing one thing out or adding another.

Yea, I think making packages for each individual person is an excellent idea. It helps the client get what they want without having to mess with detailed packages. I'm going to start having very base packages and then set rates dependent upon what the client wants with albums/engagement sessions/ect.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX