Ready for the ball...

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited February 9, 2010 in People
Yesterday our church hosted a Daddy Daughter Valentines Ball... and our girls and my DH were very pleased to spend the evening enjoying each other and dressing up.

1. My older daughter opted for new jewelry instead of a new dress.

782729810_kQrHH-L.jpg

782730829_NXtsD-L.jpg

3. Nine.. the new twenty.
782730221_5EwXg-L.jpg

I sent Dad to the store to pick up some shoes for her... and he came home with her first pair of heels.

Oh, is it tough on moms to see their babies growing up!

The one helpful thought I have is that I am totally aware that the heels themselves point out how much growing she has yet to do... they were a bit too big, and you should have seen how she wobbled on them. :D

782732120_WU9Zp-L.jpg

Having a mom / photographer around... I think there is a chance that she is the worlds greatest 9 year old model. She is a very natural poser.

782733558_y5x9Z-L.jpg

My youngest daughter is a dress person. She knows all about Cinderella and that Cinderella could never go to the ball with out a fancy dress... So that is what she had to have. Unfortunately none of the department stores in our area carry that type, so I had to get some fabric and make one.

782734357_bDZtE-L.jpg

But this is my favorite photo of the day. I love her expression and delight in her little white gloves. :lust

782735444_UhugR-XL.jpg

Moms, of course, can't go to the daddy daughter ball. So I just had to resign myself to not having photos of that part.
But they had a lovely time!

C & C always welcome!

Comments

• Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    Wow, you have beautiful girls. Congrats on a fantastic set. clap.gif
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    How lovely and what a treasure this will become, more priceless as the years go by. Imagine their grandchildren viewing these, talking about the dress you made, the too big shoes!

Off topic a great mentor/torturer/friend came over today. She lives over an hour away but has pushed me from day one on my photography classes, home work, EVERYTHING! I wanted to shoot doors and windows, she wanted me to shoot her 3 girls. Turns out I LOVE kids! Anyway she wants me to update my image, website yadadada. I took her on a short tour of DGRIN to look at things to do with a smugmug account, we looked at yours. I felt like I was introducing her to my friends..:D Of course she loved your site, your work. thumb.gif Yep, it almost made her want to move to Alaska as well. just thought you would like to know.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:
    How lovely and what a treasure this will become, more priceless as the years go by. Imagine their grandchildren viewing these, talking about the dress you made, the too big shoes!

Off topic a great mentor/torturer/friend came over today. She lives over an hour away but has pushed me from day one on my photography classes, home work, EVERYTHING! I wanted to shoot doors and windows, she wanted me to shoot her 3 girls. Turns out I LOVE kids! Anyway she wants me to update my image, website yadadada. I took her on a short tour of DGRIN to look at things to do with a smugmug account, we looked at yours. I felt like I was introducing her to my friends..:D Of course she loved your site, your work. thumb.gif Yep, it almost made her want to move to Alaska as well. just thought you would like to know.
    Oh that is just the sweetest thing to say. Seriously you made my day! I feel that a lot of you folks on Dgrin are my friends too, which is funny since I have met a total of two of you in person... but feel as though I know many of you...
    If you ever get on up here, you better give me a call and we'll get a coffee from one of the millions of coffee shops.

You are going to be fantastic children photographer. It is just the best, but takes lots of patience since kids don't exactly follow directions like adults.

And thanks very much for the comps on my site. I keep thinking about redoing it, but with my html handicapped brian it is a daunting task for sure. I think that I would rather do laundry... and that is sayin' something! rolleyes1.gif

BTW, I love off topic conversations.iloveyou.gif
    edited February 8, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    Wow, you have beautiful girls. Congrats on a fantastic set. clap.gif
    iloveyou.gif
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    I rarely stumble upon a 'series' that actually holds me for its entirety - I often "don't see the point" and think that all the work could've been summed up in 1 or 2 pics, hence my losing interest.

Not in this case.

Photo's are exquisite, too.
    3,4 and 7 really shine. thumb.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    1 and 5 are devine! If I may be so bold, care to explain your lighting/processing on these? :Ddeal.gif
    edited February 8, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I rarely stumble upon a 'series' that actually holds me for its entirety - I often "don't see the point" and think that all the work could've been summed up in 1 or 2 pics, hence my losing interest.

Not in this case.

Photo's are exquisite, too.
    3,4 and 7 really shine. thumb.gif

Aww thanks! iloveyou.gif
    edited February 8, 2010
    1 and 5 are devine! If I may be so bold, care to explain your lighting/processing on these? :Ddeal.gif

I used a single brolly and speedlight (gelled with cto) in all of them...

and for processing for #1, I did some minimal touchups on her skin (She has a scar on her cheek that she likes to have removed in post) and then ran a couple TRA actions on there at about 20%. I think it was Pool Party and Troy, but both were used very little. Here is sooc and edited versions so you can see the changes.

782729810_kQrHH-L.jpg783911740_SPpJD-L.jpg

In #5, same actions I just left Pool Party a bit stronger... like at about 40% or so.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    You're killing me! My little girl turns 3 in two weeks, and yet I'm sure it will feel like just next month when I'm taking her to daddy/daughter dances. I'm sure this was a very bittersweet photo shoot for you. I know it would be for me! :cry

The whole series is lovely, and you have two beautiful girls!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Theses are all fun images that will bring you joy for years to come....but....#5 is really a beautifully done image. So classic and pretty!thumb.gif
    edited February 8, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Theses are all fun images that will bring you joy for years to come....but....#5 is really a beautifully done image. So classic and pretty!thumb.gif

Thanks Jeff! I had such a hard time deciding between b & w or this treatment... but I loved both. Such a classic look.

I bet there was some fun celebration in your neck of the woods yesterday after the game! :D
    edited February 8, 2010
    You're killing me! My little girl turns 3 in two weeks, and yet I'm sure it will feel like just next month when I'm taking her to daddy/daughter dances. I'm sure this was a very bittersweet photo shoot for you. I know it would be for me! :cry

The whole series is lovely, and you have two beautiful girls!

Ah yes... don't forget to cherish the 3 year old moments. My youngest turns 7 on Valentines day... and I can hardly belive it! It goes so quick.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Thanks Jeff! I had such a hard time deciding between b & w or this treatment... but I loved both. Such a classic look.

I bet there was some fun celebration in your neck of the woods yesterday after the game! :D

Who Dat?:D

Sheesh are you kidding!!! It's been 24 hours now and people are still camping at the sports stores to buy the hats and t-shirts. On the news they are still socking away the high octane in the french qtr....and dancing in the streets. There is a welcome home parade tommorrow planned in New Orleans.....but Im pretty sure that this celebration will carry on until Mardi Gras officially gets underway......nearly two weeks away.

Better than anything else we do, the people of Louisiana DEFINATELY know how to celebrate!!!

I was happy for the win. The fact that it was a definative win made it all the better.:D

Geaux Saints!!!
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Yes Who Dat and a Geaux Saints..clap.gif

#7.. yes her expression is just priceless...
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Who Dat?:D

Sheesh are you kidding!!! It's been 24 hours now and people are still camping at the sports stores to buy the hats and t-shirts. On the news they are still socking away the high octane in the french qtr....and dancing in the streets. There is a welcome home parade tommorrow planned in New Orleans.....but Im pretty sure that this celebration will carry on until Mardi Gras officially gets underway......nearly two weeks away.

Better than anything else we do, the people of Louisiana DEFINATELY know how to celebrate!!!

I was happy for the win. The fact that it was a definative win made it all the better.:D

Geaux Saints!!!

Hey, I'm from the Indy area so I can't share the love. Happy for Drew Brees though. He's a former Purdue (Go Boilers) QB and a nice guy. Congrats on the win.