Hallett Cove, South Australia

MazlimMazlim Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 8, 2010 in Landscapes
I've been a bit slack with my photography lately, so I made a New Year's Resolution to head out at least every fortnight for a shoot, and then actually process some photos from that shoot. I have a really bad habit of shooting and then not processing...

These two images were made after the sun had set. The first one was taken maybe 5 minutes after it had sunk below the horizon, and the second one was taken a little later, maybe about 15 minutes or so.

C&C is most welcome as I am still a little unsure of my post-processing techniques - especially concerning contrast and saturation. Do people prefer the more subdued natural look or an enhancement of natural colours?

Thanks in advance!
-Marianne

779214695_jMcqb-L.jpg

779213759_eVFRC-L.jpg

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    I love the rocks and textures and colors. The light is good. Punching up the contrast and color is purely a matter of taste and what your are trying for in related the scene.
    I like the second one for the composition, it is hard to keep the moon(i am assuming that is the moon) in the range. If you would have had a grad neutral density filter it might have helped. What was you f stop?
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    very nicely done. rich in color, detail, tone, and texture. love the comp. in regards to saturation and contrast, i guess it is a matter of taste. in general, i tend to favor more subtle colors for photos representing a natural scene, unless the intention is to have a reinterpretation of the subject matter (akin to creating a surreal painting-like quality). i love your pictures as is.
  • MazlimMazlim Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, I like knowing what it is about an image that people find interesting.

The f-stop on the first image was 16, and the second one was shot at f/22. And yes, that is the moon, which actually looked quite large, but doesn't tend to stay that way when shooting with a wide angle lens.

I didn't exactly use a GND but I did move my hand over somewhere in the upper portion of the image to decrease the amount of light getting through (not really technical I know...)
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Beautiful! I love those rocks and how prominent they appear with the wide angle lens. Nice! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    These are just beautiful! I don't think you need to be particularly worried about your processing, as you're obviously doing something right. thumb.gif
  • MazlimMazlim Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2010
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Would love to see more of your work posted. This set is
    terrific.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery