A river now runs through it

scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
edited February 8, 2010 in Landscapes
I didn't have a lot of time to take photos this weekend but I managed to sneak away on Saturday morning to visit a road closed by flood damage in 2006. At that time, high river levels created a new side channel which now runs through the center of the road for a half mile before it returns to the river.

On my way to the closure, I stopped off at a small creek which had some nice cascading sections near the bridge that crosses it.

783283461_Vbhaf-L.jpg

783283628_G6FAS-L.jpg

783283785_8EqfE-L.jpg

783283888_eygfw-L.jpg

783284023_KA6iX-L.jpg

783284177_JGDET-L.jpg

783284306_5wFzn-L.jpg

783284418_fooZ7-L.jpg

783284564_RdPy7-L.jpg

Thanks for looking..

Comments

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    #5 is my favorite of the series. It showcases the beauty of the water pouring over the edge, while also illustrating the odd situation of a road that literally became a river.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Index-Galena road... nice. my fav is #4... really shows how the river has "reclaimed" the roadway. which stream is that in the first shots - Bitter Creek?
    i wasn't far from there myself, up along the Foss River road a bit east of Skykomish...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Is this the road up by Stevens pass that you can no longer go through? I rented a cabin, I believe, about a mile short of where this road is washed out. Take a left at the little Index cafe/tavern? If so, it was pretty awsome to explore that area!

Oh, and great shots. My faves are #'s 5 and 8.
    Growing with Dgrin

• LadukebobLadukebob Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Really nice shots, my favorite is #5.
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    leaforte wrote:
    Is this the road up by Stevens pass that you can no longer go through? I rented a cabin, I believe, about a mile short of where this road is washed out. Take a left at the little Index cafe/tavern? If so, it was pretty awsome to explore that area!

Oh, and great shots. My faves are #'s 5 and 8.

yep. it's about halfway up to Stevens Pass from Monroe... take a left off highway 2, go past the bridge at Index. the washout is about 6 miles upstream from Index...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    nicely captured. #5 definitely gives a good sense of the creek reclaiming the landscape. i like #4 and #7 quite a bit also.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Beautiful cascades! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Thanks, everyone!

Rocky: yes- this is Bitter Creek (upstream of the bridge, although the downstream end looked pretty nice as well!)
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    These are great, 4th is my favorite clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    #5 does it for me (although landscape orientation with a 10mm would have been sweet!)