Which glass?

Ink84Ink84 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited February 10, 2010 in Cameras
Hi,

Ok, in an earlier thread I posted, I mentioned that I was after some new glass for an upcoming trip to Romania.

I was looking at getting a WA Tokina 12-24, but now I've been thinking and don't know if it would be a worthwhile investment. I was looking over some old images I'd taken with my 18-70 and noticed that I was happy with the wideness and quality that I was getting with it. I don't know if an extra 6mm would really make a big difference in my photography. Usually, when doing landscape I just use the 18mm and if I need more scope, I combine two images and make a panorama of sorts.

The other lens that I was looking at was a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8. It's more expensive, but I have heard that the IQ is great and is good in lower light. I already have a telephoto lens in the form of a Sigma 70-300, which is good but it lacks in several areas.

When I go on the trip, I'll be doing town-walking and venturing off into the countryside. So I guessed that my 18-70 would be good for the city, and any WA if I needed it.

So at the moment I'm very tied between the two... I'd love to have some high quality glass, but I don't want to spend money on something that I might use a few times.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    RENT for your trip:D .....look at borrowlenses......better to rent than buy in that case.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 7, 2010
    It's good that you did the accounting of your images and assessed your needs.

I too, if taking only 2 lenses, would choose a "standard" zoom and a telephoto zoom. I too use a multi-shot and stitched panoramic approach for some wide images as appropriate. That 2 lens approach is a rather major improvement over any single lens to cover the same range.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Ink84Ink84 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    I agree Ziggy, I think I would prefer a fast telephoto, it fits my needs better than a wide angle.

With renting, I did look into that, but the place I went to told me I'd have to put a full deposit down (the full price of the lens), then plus rental/ insurance and taxes. I guess I'd rather go and buy the non AF-S version of the Nikon 80-200mm for cheaper and have it for as long as I need it...
    edited February 9, 2010
    Ink84 wrote:
    I agree Ziggy, I think I would prefer a fast telephoto, it fits my needs better than a wide angle.

With renting, I did look into that, but the place I went to told me I'd have to put a full deposit down (the full price of the lens), then plus rental/ insurance and taxes. I guess I'd rather go and buy the non AF-S version of the Nikon 80-200mm for cheaper and have it for as long as I need it...

I just noticed that you list the Nikon D60 as your camera body. Is that correct?
    ziggy53
    edited February 9, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I just noticed that you list the Nikon D60 as your camera body. Is that correct?

Whoops, I did have. I forgot to update my profile.

I now have a Nikon D200.
    edited February 9, 2010
    Ink84 wrote:
    Whoops, I did have. I forgot to update my profile.

I now have a Nikon D200.

That's a much better camera body in that it can accept and AF most Nikon "F" mount lenses, including those that lack a built-in AF motor (like the current Nikkor 80-200mm, f2.8D ED.)
    ziggy53
    edited February 9, 2010
    This was one of the reasons that I upgraded my camera body, to accept older lenses.

I have been researching the 80-200mm, it seems great, but a few people have complained that it back focuses when used at over 180mm. Would you really say that this is a problem? I guess you can just switch it to manual and correct the focus, if it happens.
    edited February 9, 2010
    I have not heard of that problem. Unless people carefully describe the conditions under which the focus error occurs and show examples, it's hard to know what happened. Enough people love that lens that I would still recommend it.
    ziggy53
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    If you're a street photographer, mostly doing walk-around kinda stuff, weight and size are EVERYTHING. Personally, I'd opt for the Tokina 11-1 2.8 and the Sigma 50-150 2.8, if I were a street photojournalist. Maybe throw in the 50 1.4 for good measure, of the 35 1.8 DX if that suits you better. (I'm more of a telephoto, shallow DOF kinda guy...)

The Tokian 12-24 is a great investment actually, if you plan on keeping your D200 for at couple years or so. If you know deep down that your gear lust will soon "require" you to buy a D700, then maybe re-consider, but gosh I'm REALLY happy with my D300 and this kit, the 11-16 + 50-150 is such an amazing, small and light setup for street photography. (Again with the 80-200. A nice lens for full-frame shooters, but way too big and heavy for me. And, as a photojournalist, the 50mm end of the 50-150 is WAYYY more valuable than the 200mm end of the 80-200. I find that 150mm on my crop sensor is more than enough, and if it isn't I can just hack off a few megapixels with little side-effect.

Consider those lenes!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum