New EOS Rebel T2i (550D)

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited February 13, 2010 in Cameras
Canon announced a new Rebel today with a pretty impressive feature set!

18 megapixel sensor, full 1080p movie support, new metering system, new 3:2 high-res LCD, etc....
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020806canoneos550d.asp

From first glance it looks a lot like a little-sib to the 7D. Aside from body design and build quality I'm not sure if there's a lot of room feature wise to squeeze a rumored 60D between this and the 7D. Still, I'm expecting a 60D at some point to fill in the price gap between the Rebel and the 7D. With this camera and the 7D it seems Canon isn't holding back features as much as they used too (compared to comparable cameras of other makes) - perhaps they're feeling some competition.

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    CSwinton wrote:
    Canon announced a new Rebel today with a pretty impressive feature set!

18 megapixel sensor, full 1080p movie support, new metering system, new 3:2 high-res LCD, etc....
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020806canoneos550d.asp

From first glance it looks a lot like a little-sib to the 7D. Aside from body design and build quality I'm not sure if there's a lot of room feature wise to squeeze a rumored 60D between this and the 7D. Still, I'm expecting a 60D at some point to fill in the price gap between the Rebel and the 7D. With this camera and the 7D it seems Canon isn't holding back features as much as they used too (compared to comparable cameras of other makes) - perhaps they're feeling some competition.

The specs do look pretty good, if the price is comparable to recent Rebel models it will be another big seller
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 8, 2010
    Brett1000 wrote:
    The specs do look pretty good, if the price is comparable to recent Rebel models it will be another big seller

Street price (Adorama) is $799.99 for body alone, $899.99 for body and 18-55mm lens (I presume it's the IS version of that lens), and $1,099.99 fpr the body and EF-S 18-135mm, f3.5-5.6 IS lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    my Canon is only a few years old and it feels ancient rolleyes1.gif
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    My "canon" has felt ancient for a few years now.rolleyes1.gif
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    skysailor wrote:
    My "canon" has felt ancient for a few years now.rolleyes1.gif
    That's just wrong .... so, so wrong! :lol
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Looks like i should update my 400D now or wait for 60D headscratch.gif
    I am tired off small View finder and small focus points rolleyes1.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Looks like i should update my 400D now or wait for 60D headscratch.gif
    I am tired off small View finder and small focus points rolleyes1.gif

I had this same dilemma, Awais. I finally just bit the bullet and got a well-priced, great condition used 50d - although I wanted a 7d, I just don't have the money for it and I needed a 2nd body for some things I have coming up, making this the best choice for now. If/when I need to upgrade I'll take a small loss on it, but I consider that a "rental fee" over the time I'll have used it. Bottom line is I needed something NOW not in 3 months, and it was the best way to go.

I'm very happy with it so far, even though I need to get to know it better better! I picked it up last Sunday and started using it less than 24hrs later with NO chance to play around with it, customize it to my lenses etc etc - given that, I'm very pleased that it gave me the results it did without my really being familiar with all its bells, whistles, and idiosyncracies. I only anticipate it getting better once I"ve had a chance to get to know it! It does feel good to have a thumbwheel again - when I jumped from film--->digital I gave that up and it is NICE to be back to a body with that handling!