Playing with fire

NickBullNickBull Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited February 11, 2010 in Holy Macro
Thought I'd have a play around with some matches (even though my mum taught me never to play with matches...)

Comments?

4325875283_b55137da53.jpg

4325875041_64a3b53083.jpg

4325874931_cf741ce61e.jpg

4326611184_2b4331000e.jpg

Comments

• AguadulceAguadulce Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Interesting idea, I like the second one best.
    Cheers,
    Mike
  • DylanwyerDylanwyer Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    I quite like these, I was thinking about trying the same idea tomorrow. Mind if I ask what your camera settings were? and what you shot the pictures towards?

I don't usually shoot objects like this, especially inside, I'm more into outdoor, but atm im stuck inside :( great for my photography though!

Thanks
    Dylan Wyer Photography

Check my site out at http://dylanwyer.smugmug.com
    And please comment!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Well taken !- esp like #2
    Brian v.
  • NickBullNickBull Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Setup
    The setup was pretty simple.

The camera was on a tripod pre-focused to the match head. I had a flash gun to the right of the match with barn doors around it to narrow the band of light. The background was about two or three feet behind the match and was a dark brown cupboard door. Because of the barn doors on the flash, the flash didn't leak backwards to light the background (or at least not too much).

The ISO was set to 100 and the shutter was 1/250. The aperture was probably around 5.6 (I can't remember exactly and I'm not near the computer to check at the moment).

Then it was a case of setting the high-speed drive mode and hold a lit match next to the one in the setup. Then fast reactions to pull it away when it catches and hold the shutter button down at the same time.

Oh, and the flash was set to around 1/16 power in manual mode.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited February 9, 2010
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Very nice! This is one of the reasons I like macro--you can find all sorts of interesting and attractive stuff that you would otherwise miss lurking in everyday scenes. I guess I have to get some barn doors...
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Well taken !- esp like #2
    Brian v.

15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gif
  • clicketf3clicketf3 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Very nice idea, be cautious though, Mom always told me, Boys that play with matches wet the bed!
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    These are great! I love the combintation of the smoke and flame.

I'll deffinately be trying this soon.

Congrats. thumb.gif
  • NickBullNickBull Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    paddler4 wrote:
    Very nice! This is one of the reasons I like macro--you can find all sorts of interesting and attractive stuff that you would otherwise miss lurking in everyday scenes. I guess I have to get some barn doors...

The barn doors were improvised and were just a couple of square drink mats that we had on the table (the things you put glasses on to stop the wife from moaning the table is marked ;-) )

Just a couple of bits of cardboard would work just as well. Just make sure they extend past the edge of the flash gun about two inches.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    NickBull wrote:
    The barn doors were improvised and were just a couple of square drink mats that we had on the table (the things you put glasses on to stop the wife from moaning the table is marked ;-) )

Just a couple of bits of cardboard would work just as well. Just make sure they extend past the edge of the flash gun about two inches.

Thanks. That should be easy enough.