Options

horses & fences

SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
edited August 7, 2005 in Sports
Pictures from a small horse show. I have never taken pictures of showjumping before. I set the camera to av at 5.6, iso 400 and the shutter speeds were around 1600. As usual the sky was grey:cry and made getting a nice background hard. (I'm getting my excuses in first :rofl )

30538221-L.jpg

30534742-L.jpg

30538340-L.jpg

30537217-L.jpg

30536638-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    Nice captures! I like #4 the best, they seem to be in tune with each other.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    I think you did good, they are nice and clear! Very sharp.

Colors are great, too. Along with being close either with lens, or being right in front of the horse, smile.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    Thanks DJ & Ginger. Last couple:

30545219-L.jpg

30555009-L.jpg

Shay.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    outstanding Shay ylsuper.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    outstanding Shay ylsuper.gif
    Thanks Harry, it was nice to shoot something different. The horses are magnificent when you see them up close.

Shay.
  • Options
    greggaegreggae Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    OK Shay......I got to tell you. I work as an official at the Kentucky Rolex Three Day Event......a five star international competion..........which means....well....just that. The best in the world compete here in dressage, cross country, and stadium jumping. Your picts are gorgeous to me. They appear to be of stadium type jumping.......so the formal attire. The clarity of them is what blows me away. I gotta go look again to see what you posted about how you did these.......absolutely beautiful to me.
    Out there where the buses don't run
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    These look great.!thumb.gif Nice job.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    Love these, makes me wanna get back to riding thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    greggae wrote:
    OK Shay......I got to tell you. I work as an official at the Kentucky Rolex Three Day Event......a five star international competion..........which means....well....just that. The best in the world compete here in dressage, cross country, and stadium jumping. Your picts are gorgeous to me. They appear to be of stadium type jumping.......so the formal attire. The clarity of them is what blows me away. I gotta go look again to see what you posted about how you did these.......absolutely beautiful to me.
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for the comment, it's nice to get an opinion from someone who is fimiliar with this sport. Show jumping is popular here and the annual horse show is on this week: http://www.dublinhorseshow.com/ the main competition is an international show jumping event at the end of the week.

I used a 70-200 lens for the shots and tried to fill the frame with the horse and rider. When the shots are good I credit the camera and when they are cr*p I take the blame rolleyes1.gif .

Shay.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    These look great.!thumb.gif Nice job.

Thanks K.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Love these, makes me wanna get back to riding thumb.gif
    They reinforce my view on horse riding, i'm sticking to bikes. The skills displayed by the riders were astounding. Some riders are looking at the next jump when they are in mid-flight.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Nice series Shay - very sharp thumb.gif. I especially like #1 with the tail in the air, and #2 & #3 coz the girl looks pretty mwink.gif.

regards
    alan
  • Options
    greggaegreggae Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for the comment, it's nice to get an opinion from someone who is fimiliar with this sport. Show jumping is popular here and the annual horse show is on this week: http://www.dublinhorseshow.com/ the main competition is an international show jumping event at the end of the week.

I used a 70-200 lens for the shots and tried to fill the frame with the horse and rider. When the shots are good I credit the camera and when they are cr*p I take the blame rolleyes1.gif .

Shay.
    Good work....here's a link about our local event.
    http://www.rk3de.org/

Always some Irish among the competitors. As a matter of fact I have a bit of Irish blood myself. My grandmother on my mother's side was an O'Grady......may not have the spelling right.
    Out there where the buses don't run
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Excellent!! clap.gifclap Nice timing on all the shots. The riders would be very happy to see those shots.

How did you set your focus? Manual? AI Servo?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    greggae wrote:
    Good work....here's a link about our local event.
    http://www.rk3de.org/

Always some Irish among the competitors. As a matter of fact I have a bit of Irish blood myself. My grandmother on my mother's side was an O'Grady......may not have the spelling right.
    I wouldn't be a big fan of dressage but the cross country competition is always exciting.

You spelled O'Grady correctly, my grandfather emigrated to the US in 1922 & returned to Ireland in the 1930's. He went over in steerage class and returned first class. He had some great stories to tell about his time there.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Nice series Shay - very sharp thumb.gif. I especially like #1 with the tail in the air, and #2 & #3 coz the girl looks pretty mwink.gif.

regards
    alan
    She is a looker all right Alan. I wanted the pics of her to be in focusrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Excellent!! clap.gifclap Nice timing on all the shots. The riders would be very happy to see those shots.

How did you set your focus? Manual? AI Servo?
    Hi Steve,

I checked out your gallery, lots of great pics there.

I used av mode at 5.6 and iso 400 which gave me shutter speeds around 1600. I was a bit worried about not getting all of the horse in focus and would have preferred f8 but I would have had to use iso 800. The light was poor with an overcast grey sky. I used ai servo and centre point focus.

Shay.
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    Hi Steve,

I checked out your gallery, lots of great pics there.

I used av mode at 5.6 and iso 400 which gave me shutter speeds around 1600. I was a bit worried about not getting all of the horse in focus and would have preferred f8 but I would have had to use iso 800. The light was poor with an overcast grey sky. I used ai servo and centre point focus.

Shay.
    Thank you for your kind comments and info. Your gallery is pretty darn nice as well! thumb.gif

Regards,
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Very nice Shay. I have done a little of this type of shooting as well. The riders tell me they like the shots of the horse tucking their hoofs under at the top of the jump. You captured several of these at just that moment. Nice work.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Very nice Shay. I have done a little of this type of shooting as well. The riders tell me they like the shots of the horse tucking their hoofs under at the top of the jump. You captured several of these at just that moment. Nice work.
    Thanks Thomas, the ones with the horse in mid-flight do look the best,

Shay.