On the Streets

jpimagesjpimages Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited February 20, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Here is a part of an ongoing project I have been working on since 1999. A look at San Francisco, San Jose and Sunnyvale.
I hope you enjoy them.

1.784261338_SZHNS-M.jpg

2.784261258_79qRa-M.jpg

3.784265965_q6Zhx-M.jpg

4.784261293_XBqtM-M.jpg

5.784261414_3WEYZ-M.jpg

6.784261484_o2EDj-M.jpg

Comments

• DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    I find these real not so much gritty.... great captures...thank you for sharing them.

I love #7
  • jpimagesjpimages Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Thanks DeeCajun!
    I appreciate your comment.
    Maybe I used the wrong word? I changed it. Took out the duplicate too. Thanks again!
    Jan
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    jpimages wrote:
    Thanks DeeCajun!
    I appreciate your comment.
    Maybe I used the wrong word? Instead of Gritty, maybe Grainy? I kept the graininess / noise in the photos and shot some with high speed black and white film.

Thanks again!
    Jan

Hi, Jan - There's something special about that first one. But I have to ask - what are you going for with the project? What is the project?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited February 9, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Hi, Jan - There's something special about that first one. But I have to ask - what are you going for with the project? What is the project?

Hi B.D.
    I will be putting all these pictures in a photo book. I use the photo book when I talk to different organizations. The book is not sold for profit.
    A friend of mine got me started on this. He was documenting the homeless problem up in San Francisco and I went along to take pictures.
    I get a story from each of them. What happened? How long on the streets? How do they make money? Where do they go to eat? Family still around? Children? etc...
    I then started to see the same thing happening in San Jose and Sunnyvale. I continued to take pictures. I ask permission at times when I can, and always give food or a couple of dollars if they ask. It's always in a public area.

Jan
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    jpimages wrote:
    Hi B.D.
    I will be putting all these pictures in a photo book. I use the photo book when I talk to different organizations. The book is not sold for profit.
    A friend of mine got me started on this. He was documenting the homeless problem up in San Francisco and I went along to take pictures.
    I get a story from each of them. What happened? How long on the streets? How do they make money? Where do they go to eat? Family still around? Children? etc...
    I then started to see the same thing happening in San Jose and Sunnyvale. I continued to take pictures. I ask permission at times when I can, and always give food or a couple of dollars if they ask. It's always in a public area.

Jan

Interesting project - At some point you might want to post a few with the text.:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited February 20, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Interesting project - At some point you might want to post a few with the text.:D

Thanks BD. I really appreciate your comments.
    I'll post more in a few months with some text.

Jan
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    I'd be really interested in reading about some of them as well. #1 #3 & #7 stand out for me.

I photographed a homeless Viet Nam vet on the Lower East Side last August for my 100 Strangers project. He has stayed with me ever since. It was a remarkable experience.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography