What Panorama Software/Hardware?

2»

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2011
    Excuse me for being ignorant but whenever i put my 5dmk2 into manual mode my exposure jumps all over the scale when i am doing panos. I tried it in Programme mode and i think i let the camera make too many decisions for me. I dont want to take from this tread but can anyone help me please?

Regards
    Patrick:D

If you are really in Manual mode, the exposure should stay the same if you set and do not change shutter, aperture, or ISO. Also use a set white balance, like sunlight or cloudy or custom, etc. Program mode should be avoided.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2011
    If you are really in Manual mode, the exposure should stay the same if you set and do not change shutter, aperture, or ISO. Also use a set white balance, like sunlight or cloudy or custom, etc. Program mode should be avoided.

I have tried my camera on a tripod for panos and found that whenever i start turning it on the tripod the light can jump on the meter. Mabey i have some setting wrong in camera?
    I tried this again a few minutes ago looking through one of the windows in my house and when i pan even past the window to the inside wall of the room the exposure starts to change. I made no changes to shutter speed or iso. Hmm puzzling.

Regards
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2011
    I have tried my camera on a tripod for panos and found that whenever i start turning it on the tripod the light can jump on the meter. Mabey i have some setting wrong in camera?
    I tried this again a few minutes ago looking through one of the windows in my house and when i pan even past the window to the inside wall of the room the exposure starts to change. I made no changes to shutter speed or iso. Hmm puzzling.

Regards

Just to make sure i followed your instructions i put the camera into cloudy white balence
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2011

Regards

What you are describing is exactly what you SHOULD see. You want to set your exposure manually for the predominant scene in your pano. When you pan without changing the exposure, the highlights and shadows WILL be lighter or darker, and your meter will reflect this. Don't confuse your meter with your exposure. If you change the exposure the scene will look very unnatural. Don't forget, your meter tries to make everything 18% grey.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited May 6, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    What you are describing is exactly what you SHOULD see. You want to set your exposure manually for the predominant scene in your pano. When you pan without changing the exposure, the highlights and shadows WILL be lighter or darker, and your meter will reflect this. Don't confuse your meter with your exposure. If you change the exposure the scene will look very unnatural. Don't forget, your meter tries to make everything 18% grey.

I guess i have made one of the most common mistakes. Looks like i will have to go through the camera manual on my 5d2 and experiment. Thanks for your help Icebear. Much appreciated.

Regards
    Patrick.:D
    edited May 6, 2011
    I think i got it. I pressed the iso button on the top of my 5d2 and when i spin the wheel on the back of the camera it adjusts exposure. Nice one.
    Just goes to show i dont use manual half enough.

Regards
    edited May 6, 2011
    oh I see. Sorry I was using the term "exposure" a little differently. Yes, this is one of the challenges of pano's. You have to meter the scene for your intended subject, lock it in, and then hope that setting isn't too far off for the rest of the pano. Ignore the meter after you set your exposure for your desired subject. For example if you are shooting your house and yard and the house is bright white, that will be one exposure, say f/5.6 1/250 ISO 100 (w.a.g.). If you leave your camera on those settings and then pan around your yard, when you point the camera at some dark green shrubs the meter is going to tell you the scene is underexposed. Just ignore that for the time being and take all your shots. Stitch them together and see how you like it. If the house is good but the rest of the scene is too dark you'll need to compromise and reshoot. In a case like that you'll probably need to go about +2/3 on the exposure for the house and use a shutter speed of 1/160. That should brighten up the yard without blowing out the house. If the dynamic range of the whole scene is too great, you could be SOL without resorting to HDR fakery.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited May 6, 2011
    I think i got it. I pressed the iso button on the top of my 5d2 and when i spin the wheel on the back of the camera it adjusts exposure. Nice one.
    Just goes to show i dont use manual half enough.

Regards

Don't do this between shots in your pano.
    -Jack

edited May 6, 2011
    Definatley not. I have had that experience in the past.
    Thanks lads
    Pat
    :D
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Manual exposure mode is best. As with any photograph you have to decide on a subject and then expose for the subject.

If the overall scene dynamic range is beyond a single exposure then use multiple exposures and HDR or manual tone blending to combine each frame's exposures before stitching together for the panorama. As long as you are consistent with your process you should be able to make a convincing overlap.

PTGui now offers a mode that combines images taken at different exposures into a panorama with correct brightness. As long as the aperture is constant between images there need be no artifacts at image boundaries due to DOF changes. I don't know if this is unique to PTGui at this time, but if it is, I don't expect it to stay that way for long. Output as 16 bit .tif is necessary to take advantage of this.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies