Options

Workflow dead end road....

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in Finishing School
Help?

Before I realized the tricky spot I was getting myself into (have since change my WF process), I sorted AND edited about 1000 event photos in Bridge.

So I have 30 folders (sorted by individual) edited and ... in RAW.

That's the issue. I can reimport them back into LR (which saves the sorting I did) but none of the changes/edits made are saved. OR I can *individually* file by file edit them in PS and resave as jpegs.

At least, those are the only two options I know of. So, I come here in hopes that I'm simply uneducated about my options and someone else can help me figure out how to batch convert these into jpegs withOUT loosing the edits already done on them (crops, lighting, WB, etc).

Thank you!! :bow
//Leah

Comments

• Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    confusion question? no answers? anyone? headscratch.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    catspaw wrote:
    Help?

Before I realized the tricky spot I was getting myself into (have since change my WF process), I sorted AND edited about 1000 event photos in Bridge.

So I have 30 folders (sorted by individual) edited and ... in RAW.

That's the issue. I can reimport them back into LR (which saves the sorting I did) but none of the changes/edits made are saved. OR I can *individually* file by file edit them in PS and resave as jpegs.

At least, those are the only two options I know of. So, I come here in hopes that I'm simply uneducated about my options and someone else can help me figure out how to batch convert these into jpegs withOUT loosing the edits already done on them (crops, lighting, WB, etc).

Thank you!! bowdown.gif

Far from being the expert since I have never even launched Bridge (which is why I have not replied before). Have you tried to import the photos into LR? As I understand it Bridge does not have a database so it 'should' be saving your edits in the .XMP sidecar files. LR looks for and reads those files on import so the edits should be there.

The caveat I stated initially, I have never even launched, let alone used Bridge.

Hopefully this will get the discussion going, with others telling what I got wrong here...

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    I've never used Bridge, nor have I used LR, but I do all my editing using PhotShop. If you've already sorted the pictures into folders, I would (in PhotoShop) set up some actions and use batch-processing to do whatever is needed, one folder at a time.

HTH -

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    catspaw wrote:
    Before I realized the tricky spot I was getting myself into (have since change my WF process), I sorted AND edited about 1000 event photos in Bridge...how to batch convert these into jpegs withOUT loosing the edits already done on them (crops, lighting, WB, etc).

When you said you edited them in Bridge, you really edited them in Camera Raw in Bridge, right? If so, you have two options.

First option: Load 'em up in Bridge again. Your corrections are visible there, right? Great. Then all you have to do is select them all, open Camera Raw, hit the "select all" button in there, and click the Save Images button in the lower left corner. Change format to JPEG, set it all up, walk away, and when you come back it's done.

Second option: I think that by default, Lightroom will see your Bridge/Camera Raw edits because they use the same core software for processing. Try importing a couple and see if the changes carried over. If so, bring in the rest. I believe Lightroom will pick up the Bridge Camera Raw edits if either of these is true:
    a) they're DNGs
    b) there's an XMP file sitting next to each of the raw files (contains the edits). If not, you can force export settings to XMP from Camera Raw.

Either way I think you want to go through one of those raw editors, and not go through Photoshop at all as that would take too much time and trouble.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    dmmattix wrote:
    Far from being the expert since I have never even launched Bridge (which is why I have not replied before). Have you tried to import the photos into LR? As I understand it Bridge does not have a database so it 'should' be saving your edits in the .XMP sidecar files. LR looks for and reads those files on import so the edits should be there.

The caveat I stated initially, I have never even launched, let alone used Bridge.

Hopefully this will get the discussion going, with others telling what I got wrong here...

Mike

Yup, and when I import them into LR, all the edits and changes are GONE. Which means having to re-do them. :S Unless there's some special command I'm missing.... I really do NOT want to recrop and WB and everything else on these photos.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    When you said you edited them in Bridge, you really edited them in Camera Raw in Bridge, right? If so, you have two options.

First option: Load 'em up in Bridge again. Your corrections are visible there, right? Great. Then all you have to do is select them all, open Camera Raw, hit the "select all" button in there, and click the Save Images button in the lower left corner. Change format to JPEG, set it all up, walk away, and when you come back it's done.

Second option: I think that by default, Lightroom will see your Bridge/Camera Raw edits because they use the same core software for processing. Try importing a couple and see if the changes carried over. If so, bring in the rest. I believe Lightroom will pick up the Bridge Camera Raw edits if either of these is true:
    a) they're DNGs
    b) there's an XMP file sitting next to each of the raw files (contains the edits). If not, you can force export settings to XMP from Camera Raw.

Either way I think you want to go through one of those raw editors, and not go through Photoshop at all as that would take too much time and trouble.

Camera RAW, probably. I'll give that a try to save from within there -- I haven't opened more than one file at once, yet. idiotically, it should be an option but I hadn't considered it.

For whatever reason, importing them into LR is *not* bringing over the changes already made, which is what is confusing the heck out of me. They aren't DNGs but not certain about XMP files ... I don't SEE them, but that's just what I see in the finder in the mac.

thanks!
    //Leah
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    catspaw wrote:
    not certain about XMP files ... I don't SEE them, but that's just what I see in the finder in the mac.

If the XMP files were there you would see them in the Finder, but not in Bridge by default.

OK try this, I just tried it:
    1. Select a bunch of edited files in Bridge.
    2. File/Open in Camera Raw.
    3. Click Select All button at top left corner.
    4. On the right, click the little menu icon at the right edge of the "Basic" bar.
    5. Choose "Export Settings to XMP"
    6. Click the Done button (or Cancel if you didn't change anything else)
    7. Import images into Lightroom. You should not have to import the XMP, just the pics.
    8. Check edits and metadata. When I tried it, it worked, I could stop here. Lightroom picked up the XMP data when it imported and I could tell from the previews.
    9. If edits and metadata are not showing up, select all and do Metadata/Read Metadata from File

If that doesn't do it, I don't know what else to try! Good luck...
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2010
    For those interested, LR *was* creating ".XMP sidecar files", so I told it to stop doing that. umph.gif

From there, yes I figured out how to open multiple files within the RAW editor of Bridge (Rather than PS, which just lags my system like whoa), and then resave as JPGs in their own little folder. Paid to upgrade the LR plugin to export to smugmug, reimported into LR and then uploaded away.

yay!

thank you everyone :)clap.gif
    //Leah