camera and lens pairing question.

athlonisathlonis Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited February 10, 2010 in Cameras
I'm going to a workshop photoshoot in a couple of days, however, I wasn't able to borrow the lenses that I would have liked to use for that shoot.

I have a 50mm f/1.8 and a 18-200mm vr. I also have a D300 and a d80.

I was thinking of dual wielding using the d300 with 18-200 as primary and then using the d80 with the 50mm as secondary when needed.

Would this work better or should I swap lenses and use the d300 with 50mm as primary and use the d80 with 18-200 as needed?

I believe this is mostly an indoor shoot, but I'm afraid the 18-200 wont work as well due to the low light unless I'm using my flash all the time to compensate.

any suggestions or should i just stick with my first decision and just run with it?

Comments

• cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    What kind of workshop is it?
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • athlonisathlonis Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2010
    cbbr wrote:
    What kind of workshop is it?

wedding.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Steve, are you coming to the Photog Shootout on Thursday?

Either way, just bring the D300! I'm just going to have my D300 and two zooms. I shoot 90% of my photos on one lens, the Sigma 50-150 2.8. Now I know you can't get to f/2.8 with your 18-200 but the 50 1.8 can remedy that. If I only had a D300 and a 50 1.8, I could certainly shoot an entire wedding if I had to.

In my experience, people tend to over-pack for workshops. They're afraid that they'll get there and really wish they had brought something, and so they bring the kitchen sink. Maybe I've just been to too many photo shoots like this, but these days I hardly carry anything. If I'm shooting a very specific thing in fact, I won't even bring my camera bag; just one body and one lens, maybe two if the 2nd lens is a small prime. With batteries these days you can shoot 1,000 shots on just one charge, and so even for an all-day workshop the most I'd need in my pockets would be a one spare battery / memory card.

I find that I'm MUCH more free to move around, learn and practice when I only have to worry about the camera in my hand. :-)

Take care!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • athlonisathlonis Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 10, 2010
    Steve, are you coming to the Photog Shootout on Thursday?

Either way, just bring the D300! I'm just going to have my D300 and two zooms. I shoot 90% of my photos on one lens, the Sigma 50-150 2.8. Now I know you can't get to f/2.8 with your 18-200 but the 50 1.8 can remedy that. If I only had a D300 and a 50 1.8, I could certainly shoot an entire wedding if I had to.

In my experience, people tend to over-pack for workshops. They're afraid that they'll get there and really wish they had brought something, and so they bring the kitchen sink. Maybe I've just been to too many photo shoots like this, but these days I hardly carry anything. If I'm shooting a very specific thing in fact, I won't even bring my camera bag; just one body and one lens, maybe two if the 2nd lens is a small prime. With batteries these days you can shoot 1,000 shots on just one charge, and so even for an all-day workshop the most I'd need in my pockets would be a one spare battery / memory card.

I find that I'm MUCH more free to move around, learn and practice when I only have to worry about the camera in my hand. :-)

Take care!
    =Matt=

Yes, I will be at the shootout tomorrow. Ok I'll leave the d80 at home and just work with the d300 with the 18-200 and have the 50mm in my pocket or something. I had initially planned on borrowing a 24-70 f/2.8, but my friend flaked and I couldn't borrow it in time.

How's the sigma?