Another Wide Angle Question

DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
edited February 18, 2010 in Cameras
I have a Canon 350D which I would like to find a wide angle lens for.

So I start researching and feel overwhelmed with all the choices. I shoot mountains and lakes and want to capture it all. Wide angle, Wide zoom angle?

I have no idea where to start then reading about crop factor has me more confused.

Where do I start.. I am thinking I will rent one before buying.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited February 9, 2010
    I'm shooting with a Canon 40D, so the same crop factor as your camera.

I have a Canon 10-22, and I'm extremely happy with it.
    This lens is on my camera more than any other lens.

--- Denise
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    The 1.6x crop factor of your camera (which just means that the imaging sensor is smaller than the full "35mm" (actually 36mm) size of the sensors in the 5D and 1Ds) means that you have to multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.6 to get a sense of what your camera's field of view will be like with that lens compared to what a full-frame camera would see with the same lens. Or if you know how wide a view you want in full-frame terms, you can divide by the crop factor to determine what focal length you need.

On full-frame, 24mm is a common wide-angle focal length. But 24x1.6 = 38, so your camera will see through a 24mm lens what a full-frame camera would see at 38mm. And since 24/1.6 = 15, you would need a 15mm lens to have the same width of view that a full-frame camera would get with a 24mm lens. Similarly, you would need a 10mm lens to have the width of view that a full-frame camera gets with a 16mm lens.

Depending on your budget, I suggest either the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, the Tokina 11-16mm, or the Tokina 12-24mm. There is also a Sigma of similar range that some people like; I haven't used it. With the Tokinas and the Sigma, be careful to get the Canon version, because the same lenses are also available for Nikon and possibly other brands.

Renting is a good idea. I've heard good things about borrowlenses.com.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    I'm shooting with a Canon 40D, so the same crop factor as your camera.

I have a Canon 10-22, and I'm extremely happy with it.
    This lens is on my camera more than any other lens.

--- Denise

Thank you.. I am inclined to keep Canon lenses on my Canon camera and will look into renting this and if I like it I will purchase it...

Thank you!!!
    edited February 9, 2010
    Thank you for the info.. makes a lil more sense now!

craig_d wrote:
    The 1.6x crop factor of your camera (which just means that the imaging sensor is smaller than the full "35mm" (actually 36mm) size of the sensors in the 5D and 1Ds) means that you have to multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.6 to get a sense of what your camera's field of view will be like with that lens compared to what a full-frame camera would see with the same lens. Or if you know how wide a view you want in full-frame terms, you can divide by the crop factor to determine what focal length you need.

On full-frame, 24mm is a common wide-angle focal length. But 24x1.6 = 38, so your camera will see through a 24mm lens what a full-frame camera would see at 38mm. And since 24/1.6 = 15, you would need a 15mm lens to have the same width of view that a full-frame camera would get with a 24mm lens. Similarly, you would need a 10mm lens to have the width of view that a full-frame camera gets with a 16mm lens.

Depending on your budget, I suggest either the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, the Tokina 11-16mm, or the Tokina 12-24mm. There is also a Sigma of similar range that some people like; I haven't used it. With the Tokinas and the Sigma, be careful to get the Canon version, because the same lenses are also available for Nikon and possibly other brands.

Renting is a good idea. I've heard good things about borrowlenses.com.
    edited February 18, 2010
    Thank you for all of your help.. I took the plunge and bought the 10-22mm...

HOLY Cow it's amazing.. what took me so long? headscratch.gif

I think it is definitely my new favorite lens..

Thank you thank you bowdown.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 18, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:
    Thank you for all of your help.. I took the plunge and bought the 10-22mm...

Congratulations on the new lens. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums